* HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-19  4:37 Andy Canfield
From: Andy Canfield @ 2001-02-19  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

How big is Cygwin? That's my first question, because I'm short of disk space. My 12 year old version of MKS is less than 6 megabytes. I use fgrep a dozen times a day; sometimes diff, touch, strings, head, and tail. So I'd want the command-line toolkit, not the compiler, and maybe other utilities.

* Re: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-19  8:59 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-19  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Canfield; +Cc: cygwin

Andy Canfield wrote:

> How big is Cygwin? That's my first question, because I'm short of disk space. My 12 year old version of MKS is less than 6 megabytes. I use fgrep a dozen times a day; sometimes diff, touch, strings, head, and tail. So I'd want the command-line toolkit, not the compiler, and maybe other utilities.

You will need the following packages:

ash
bash
cygwin		(All packages require this one)
fileutils
textutils
shellutils
grep
findutils
tar
gzip
bzip2
less
sed
grep
termcap
(others I've forgotten).

Earnie.

* Re: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-19 15:22   ` Andy Canfield
From: Andy Canfield @ 2001-02-19 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Thank you very very much for your reply. I would love to try it out. But how big is it? Ten megabytes? Seventy megabytes? Three hundred megabytes? Download speed here is at best ten megabytes per hour, starting at 4AM, but since they cut the cable off Taiwan it has gotten much slower. I want to know so I can free up space on my hard disk. Thanks very much.

> > How big is Cygwin? That's my first question, because I'm short of disk space. My 12 year old version of MKS is less than 6 megabytes. I use fgrep a dozen times a day; sometimes diff, touch, strings, head, and tail. So I'd want the command-line toolkit, not the compiler, and maybe other utilities.
> >

> You will need the following packages:
>
> ash
> bash
> cygwin (All packages require this one)
> fileutils
> textutils
> shellutils
> grep
> findutils
> tar
> gzip
> bzip2
> less
> sed
> grep
> termcap
> (others I've forgotten).
>
> Earnie.

* RE: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-19 20:02     ` Bradley A. Town
From: Bradley A. Town @ 2001-02-19 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andy,
	If you download *every* package (including gcc), you'll need roughly 50MB
for the .tar.gz files.  You'll need another 190MB free for the actual
install.  For more information, check the file sizes at any cygwin mirror.
	Trying to pick and choose individual packages seems to get people in
trouble.  Most of the people here would probably recommend installing
everything until you become more familiar with cygwin.

Brad Town

> Thank you very very much for your reply. I would love to try it
> out. But how big is it? Ten megabytes? Seventy megabytes? Three
> hundred megabytes? Download speed here is at best ten megabytes
> per hour, starting at 4AM, but since they cut the cable off
> Taiwan it has gotten much slower. I want to know so I can free up
> space on my hard disk. Thanks very much.

* Re: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-20  6:20     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-20  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Canfield; +Cc: Earnie Boyd

Andy Canfield wrote:

> Thank you very very much for your reply. I would love to try it out. But how big is it? Ten megabytes? Seventy megabytes? Three hundred megabytes? Download speed here is at best ten megabytes per hour, starting at 4AM, but since they cut the cable off Taiwan it has gotten much slower. I want to know so I can free up space on my hard disk. Thanks very much.

You can check the sizes of each package by previewing the setup.ini file
on any Cygwin mirror.  The sizes are listed in bytes to the right of the
package filename.

Earnie.

* Re: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-20  9:55       ` Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2001-02-20  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Just realize, the size of the package isn't the whole picture.
You also need the space for the download, the space for the unpacking,
the space for the /usr components (man, bin, lib, etc), and the space
for the "latest" snapshot.  I downloaded what I considered
a base system (didn't include gcc,m4, or any dev stuff except
make) to a samba disk I have at home.  That took 300 MB or so.
But I tried installing the components I wanted onto a local disk,
and that totally consumed a 900MB disk with it's temp files, and
everything else.  Couldn't even get it installed, until I went to
a partition with 2+ GB free.

(Would be nice if setup would allow one to specify whether to keep
packages as they are exploded, where to keep temp files, etc, etc)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:20:36 -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:

>Andy Canfield wrote:
>>
>> Thank you very very much for your reply. I would love to try it out. But how big is it? Ten megabytes? Seventy megabytes? Three hundred megabytes? Download speed here is at best ten
megabytes per hour, starting at 4AM, but since they cut the cable off Taiwan it has gotten much slower. I want to know so I can free up space on my hard disk. Thanks very much.

>You can check the sizes of each package by previewing the setup.ini file
>on any Cygwin mirror.  The sizes are listed in bytes to the right of the
>package filename.
>
>Earnie.

>--

* Re: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-20 10:39         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-02-20 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Paulus, Earnie Boyd

At 12:54 PM 2/20/2001, Mark Paulus wrote:
>Just realize, the size of the package isn't the whole picture.
>You also need the space for the download, the space for the unpacking,
>the space for the /usr components (man, bin, lib, etc), and the space
>for the "latest" snapshot.  I downloaded what I considered
>a base system (didn't include gcc,m4, or any dev stuff except
>make) to a samba disk I have at home.  That took 300 MB or so.
>But I tried installing the components I wanted onto a local disk,
>and that totally consumed a 900MB disk with it's temp files, and
>everything else.  Couldn't even get it installed, until I went to
>a partition with 2+ GB free.

You don't have to download the snapshots.  And you only need to take
"contrib" if there's something you want in there.  Still, I downloaded
"latest" and its 330MB for me ("contrib" is 43 MB).

"Is there something wrong with free software that makes it so big?", he asks
jokingly.

>(Would be nice if setup would allow one to specify whether to keep
>packages as they are exploded, where to keep temp files, etc, etc)

I doubt you'll get an argument from folks on this list in that regard.
Anyone want to patch setup to do this?

* Re: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-20 11:24           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-20 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:34:55PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

>At 12:54 PM 2/20/2001, Mark Paulus wrote:
>>Just realize, the size of the package isn't the whole picture.
>>You also need the space for the download, the space for the unpacking,
>>the space for the /usr components (man, bin, lib, etc), and the space
>>for the "latest" snapshot.  I downloaded what I considered
>>a base system (didn't include gcc,m4, or any dev stuff except
>>make) to a samba disk I have at home.  That took 300 MB or so.
>>But I tried installing the components I wanted onto a local disk,
>>and that totally consumed a 900MB disk with it's temp files, and
>>everything else.  Couldn't even get it installed, until I went to
>>a partition with 2+ GB free.
>

>You don't have to download the snapshots.  And you only need to take
>"contrib" if there's something you want in there.  Still, I downloaded
>"latest" and its 330MB for me ("contrib" is 43 MB).
>
>"Is there something wrong with free software that makes it so big?", he asks
>jokingly.
>

>>(Would be nice if setup would allow one to specify whether to keep
>>packages as they are exploded, where to keep temp files, etc, etc)
>

>I doubt you'll get an argument from folks on this list in that regard.
>Anyone want to patch setup to do this?

The packages are "exploded" into /bin, /usr/bin, etc., AFAIK.  There is
no need to specify a separate directory for this.  If there are temp
files they are probably pretty small.

However, anyone who is really curious about this can check the source.
I'm not curious at all, so I haven't done so.

cgf

* Re: HOW BIG IS IT?
@ 2001-02-20 12:16             ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-02-20 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 02:24 PM 2/20/2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:34:55PM -0500, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >
> >At 12:54 PM 2/20/2001, Mark Paulus wrote:
> >>Just realize, the size of the package isn't the whole picture.
> >>You also need the space for the download, the space for the unpacking,
> >>the space for the /usr components (man, bin, lib, etc), and the space
> >>for the "latest" snapshot.  I downloaded what I considered
> >>a base system (didn't include gcc,m4, or any dev stuff except
> >>make) to a samba disk I have at home.  That took 300 MB or so.
> >>But I tried installing the components I wanted onto a local disk,
> >>and that totally consumed a 900MB disk with it's temp files, and
> >>everything else.  Couldn't even get it installed, until I went to
> >>a partition with 2+ GB free.
> >

> >You don't have to download the snapshots.  And you only need to take
> >"contrib" if there's something you want in there.  Still, I downloaded
> >"latest" and its 330MB for me ("contrib" is 43 MB).
> >
> >"Is there something wrong with free software that makes it so big?", he asks
> >jokingly.
> >

> >>(Would be nice if setup would allow one to specify whether to keep
> >>packages as they are exploded, where to keep temp files, etc, etc)
> >

> >I doubt you'll get an argument from folks on this list in that regard.
> >Anyone want to patch setup to do this?
>
>The packages are "exploded" into /bin, /usr/bin, etc., AFAIK.  There is
>no need to specify a separate directory for this.  If there are temp
>files they are probably pretty small.

I read Mark's comment as he would like to have setup give you the option to
remove the package after its installed.  That may not be what he meant.
You're quite right to point out that there is no intermediate directory
needed for this stuff.  Certainly for anyone using one, there's always
the option of *not* doing it to save space.

>However, anyone who is really curious about this can check the source.
>I'm not curious at all, so I haven't done so.

Took the words right out of my mouth... ;-)

* Cygwin Thanks
@ 2001-02-21  5:34       ` Andy Canfield
From: Andy Canfield @ 2001-02-21  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

Thank you very much. The Cygwin package is 45 megabytes in lots of little pieces, the largest about 5 megabytes. I am downloading the pieces slowly because the southeast Asia Fiber Optic Internet Cable was cut last week off the coast of China. Many chunks have not yet come down the pipeline; after 9 hours I only have 12 megabytes. Try again tonight. Maybe Japan is faster than Taiwan; too bad there's no mirror in Singapore which is the regional Internet hub.

Thanks for your help.