* nightly snapshots broken?
@ 2001-03-13  5:42 Charles S. Wilson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-03-13  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Something seems to have broken the nightly snapshots.  Well, maybe.  The
last snapshot is 3-07, which contains patches committed thru 3-06.
Given the discussion on cygwin-patches, there have been a number of
patches since then:

a) Brian Keener's choose.cc patch was not committed until after 3-07
b) Jason Gouger's exit status for windows processes patch
c) Mark Paulus' syscalls.cc patch
d) Danny Smith's #define Win32_Winsock patch
e) Kazuhiro Fujieda's rename() errno patch

but I dunno if they have been committed (which would trigger a new
snapshot build).

Also, Egor has recently sent a number of email's to the cygwin@ list
along the lines of "I just checked in a fix for..." but I see no record
of those in cygwin-patches; and his patches do not seem to have
triggered a new snapshot build.

Or snapshots are broken.

Any ideas, oh mighty cygwin kernel gurus?

--Chuck

* Re: nightly snapshots broken?
@ 2001-03-13  6:00 ` Egor Duda
From: Egor Duda @ 2001-03-13  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Hi!

Tuesday, 13 March, 2001 Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:

CSW> a) Brian Keener's choose.cc patch was not committed until after 3-07
CSW> b) Jason Gouger's exit status for windows processes patch
CSW> c) Mark Paulus' syscalls.cc patch
CSW> d) Danny Smith's #define Win32_Winsock patch
CSW> e) Kazuhiro Fujieda's rename() errno patch

CSW> but I dunno if they have been committed (which would trigger a new
CSW> snapshot build).

they have been checked in, and current cvs sources do contain them all.
for details, see
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/winsup/?cvsroot=src

CSW> Also, Egor has recently sent a number of email's to the cygwin@ list
CSW> along the lines of "I just checked in a fix for..." but I see no record
CSW> of those in cygwin-patches; and his patches do not seem to have
CSW> triggered a new snapshot build.

CSW> Or snapshots are broken.

it looks like snapshot-building-thingie fails to build binary snapshot
from current cvs sources.

* Re: nightly snapshots broken?
@ 2001-03-13  6:04 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-03-13  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

"Charles S. Wilson" wrote:

> Something seems to have broken the nightly snapshots.  Well, maybe.  The
> last snapshot is 3-07, which contains patches committed thru 3-06.
> Given the discussion on cygwin-patches, there have been a number of
> patches since then:
>
> a) Brian Keener's choose.cc patch was not committed until after 3-07
> b) Jason Gouger's exit status for windows processes patch
> c) Mark Paulus' syscalls.cc patch
> d) Danny Smith's #define Win32_Winsock patch
> e) Kazuhiro Fujieda's rename() errno patch
>
> but I dunno if they have been committed (which would trigger a new
> snapshot build).
>
> Also, Egor has recently sent a number of email's to the cygwin@ list
> along the lines of "I just checked in a fix for..." but I see no record
> of those in cygwin-patches; and his patches do not seem to have
> triggered a new snapshot build.
>
> Or snapshots are broken.
>
> Any ideas, oh mighty cygwin kernel gurus?

Yes, CVS changes can cause the snapshot build to break.  You can usually
see what is broken by doing a `cvs update' and then `make clean &&
make'.  Fix what's broken and submit a patch to cygwin-patches.  The
last build I've done was on 03/06 and I can't do one until later this
week.

Earnie.

* Re: nightly snapshots broken?
@ 2001-03-13  6:05 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-03-13  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cwilson; +Cc: cygwin

> Or snapshots are broken.

Without looking, two comments:

1. Snapshots only run every three days anyway.
2. If the build fails, no snapshot.

* Re: nightly snapshots broken?
@ 2001-03-13  6:49   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-03-13  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

DJ Delorie wrote:

> > Or snapshots are broken.
>
> Without looking, two comments:
>
> 1. Snapshots only run every three days anyway.

That's "new".  They used to build daily, and only skip if (a) no new
patches or (b) broken.  I say "new" because I haven't used a prebuilt
snapshot in over a year so I don't know when this change was made.  I
normally build from CVS myself -- I just checked the snapshot page today
because I was recommending to someone *else* that they try a snapshot...

> 2. If the build fails, no snapshot.

Yep.

--Chuck