* What does Dos mode vs unix mode mean when you install cygwin
@ 2001-07-16 17:16 Castle, Eric
From: Castle, Eric @ 2001-07-16 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

When using the installer to install Cygwin 1.3.2, there is a step where it
asks what the default text file type should be, with the 2 choices being
either dos or unix.  What is the difference between the 2 choices?   Is this
just how cygwin, including processing files in perl, uses either \r\n or \n
for line termination?

I don't recall the old installer program (called full.exe) ask that question
back on B18.

Any recomendation on which type to use? I've been choosing "dos" but not
sure what that is really doing vs choosing unix.

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: What does Dos mode vs unix mode mean when you install cygwin
@ 2001-07-16 20:41 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-07-16 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Castle, Eric, cygwin

> When using the installer to install Cygwin 1.3.2, there is a step
where it
> asks what the default text file type should be, with the 2 choices
being
> either dos or unix.  What is the difference between the 2 choices?
Is this
> just how cygwin, including processing files in perl, uses either \r\n
or \n
> for line termination?

That's correct, a "dos" file has \r\n terminators
> I don't recall the old installer program (called full.exe) ask that
question
> back on B18.
So back then I got in the habit of never using "dos" files in cygwin.

> Any recomendation on which type to use? I've been choosing "dos" but
not
> sure what that is really doing vs choosing unix.
Entirely a matter of preference, and what the non-cygwin apps you intend
to use prefer.  For me, the hardest part of "unix" files is remembering
to always ftp "binary" and not to attach files to Windows e-mail unless
they are suffixed .doc or converted.  More and more apps can deal with
either kind of file.

@ 2001-07-17  1:37   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-17  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 08:43:14PM -0700, Tim Prince wrote:
> Entirely a matter of preference, and what the non-cygwin apps you intend
> to use prefer.  For me, the hardest part of "unix" files is remembering
> to always ftp "binary" and not to attach files to Windows e-mail unless
> they are suffixed .doc or converted.  More and more apps can deal with
> either kind of file.

UNIX = binary = faster read/write (no CR/LF conversion needed)

The Cygwin ftp from the inetd package should use binary
as default when connecting to a UNIX system.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Help required with man
@ 2001-07-17  4:08   ` Dave BT
From: Dave BT @ 2001-07-17  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,
Man is having problems formatting pages and crashes out - any ideas?

Dave

@ 2001-07-17 12:01 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2001-07-17 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

"Castle, Eric" wrote:

> just how cygwin, including processing files in perl, uses either \r\n or \n
> for line termination?

Yes, and how text files are created, by default.

> I don't recall the old installer program (called full.exe) ask that question
> back on B18.

It's a fairly new feature.

> Any recomendation on which type to use? I've been choosing "dos" but not
> sure what that is really doing vs choosing unix.

I've had perl scripts copied over from the Linux box break because I was
using chop() to get rid of line endings instead of chomp().  If you tell
Cygwin to expect Unix line endings, that problem doesn't occur, but
then, maybe you have a lot of DOS text files already.  If I try to use
Cygwin on my Visual C++ source files, for example, I need to be using
DOS text mode.

That's why you're given a choice -- one answer isn't right for everyone.

Hmmm, an *ix lover at Intuit...so when's Quicken for Linux coming out?
:)
--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m