* ipc-daemon problem
@ 2001-07-17  7:56 Jean Barata
From: Jean Barata @ 2001-07-17  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I tried to install IPC-DAEMON as a service with this command:
	$> ipc-daemon --install-as-service

and it worked fine (the service is correctly installed).

But when I try to start this service with this command:
	$> net start ipc-daemon

it starts to run (~99% CPU, memory growing very fast) and then stops ~10
minutes later ...

Did I forgot something ?
If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it (I can't create my
postgresql database without it !)

Thanks.

Jean Barata

* Re: ipc-daemon problem
@ 2001-07-17 14:05 ` Gerrit P. Haase
       [not found]   ` <000001c10f60$8300f680$a5054e0a@sorbonne>
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-07-17 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jean.barata; +Cc: cygwin

Am 17 Jul 2001, um 17:03 hat Jean Barata geschrieben:

Hi Jean,

> I tried to install IPC-DAEMON as a service with this command:
> 	$> ipc-daemon --install-as-service
>
> and it worked fine (the service is correctly installed).
>
> But when I try to start this service with this command:
> 	$> net start ipc-daemon
>
> it starts to run (~99% CPU, memory growing very fast) and then stops ~10
> minutes later ...
>
> Did I forgot something ?
>
> I forgot something;
>	IPC package:	cygipc-1.09-2
>	System:	WindowsNT SP6
>
> If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it (I can't
> create my postgresql database without it !)

What is the errormessage (in NT's eventlog)?
What happens if you start it from 'service-manager'?
What happens if you start it not as a service, but from commandline?

gph

--
=^..^=

* RE: ipc-daemon problem
       [not found]   ` <000001c10f60$8300f680$a5054e0a@sorbonne>
@ 2001-07-18 15:45     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-07-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jean.barata; +Cc: cygwin

Am 18 Jul 2001, um 10:06 hat Jean Barata geschrieben:

Hi Jean,

There should be also error-messages in NT-eventlog (AFAIR).
Also i didn't get this on cygwin list, so i send a copy now
to the list too.
See below for one more guess.

> >What is the errormessage (in NT's eventlog)?
> >What happens if you start it from 'service-manager'?
> >What happens if you start it not as a service, but from commandline?
> >
> >gph
>
> Hi,
>
> Here are the messages:
>
> $>net start ipc-daemon
> Service Cygwin IPC Daemon starts.....
> Service Cygwin IPC Daemon can't be started
> You'll obtain more help using NET HELPMSG 3523
> $>net helpmsg 3523
> Service *** can't be started
> $>

> (but the 'ipc-daemon' process keeps running using 98% CPU and memory
> growing up)
>
> if I try to start it directly from the service manager:
>
> "error 2186: service is not responding to maintenance request"
>
> if I try to launch it directly from a command line:
>
> $>ipc-daemon&
> [1] 196
> $>
>
> it's OK !!! great, I can finally create my postgresql database !!!
> well, for now I can work with it, but there is a problem ...

Is the x:\cygwin\bin directory in your systemwide PATH setting
included?
The service needs to find cygwin1.dll

gph

--