* Is CygWin the thing for UNIX compatible web development on Windows?
@ 2001-07-12  3:15 Raith Munro
From: Raith Munro @ 2001-07-12  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi list,

I would be grateful for even a simple yes/no answer to my dilemma... (I am
completely new to CygWin and I did read the FAQ)

I want to use my Windows computer to develop a web site that will be hosted
on UNIX and needs to use some UNIXy features; symbolic links, the passwd
program for controlling HTaccess password files and some sort of email
sender (sendmail?).

I am currently using the Win32 ports of Apache, PHP4, MySQL and Perl and
this works great but I am unable to use the features I mentioned above. Is
CygWin a likely solution to my problem? I presume I'll also need to find
CygWin compatible binary distros of Apache, PHP4, MySQL and Perl (I don't
want to convert/compile them myself).

Thanks for your advice,

Raith

* Re: Is CygWin the thing for UNIX compatible web development on Windows?
@ 2001-07-17 10:48 ` Stipe Tolj
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2001-07-17 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raith Munro; +Cc: cygwin

Hi Raith,

> I would be grateful for even a simple yes/no answer to my dilemma... (I am
> completely new to CygWin and I did read the FAQ)
>
> I want to use my Windows computer to develop a web site that will be hosted
> on UNIX and needs to use some UNIXy features; symbolic links, the passwd
> program for controlling HTaccess password files and some sort of email
> sender (sendmail?).
>
> I am currently using the Win32 ports of Apache, PHP4, MySQL and Perl and
> this works great but I am unable to use the features I mentioned above. Is
> CygWin a likely solution to my problem? I presume I'll also need to find
> CygWin compatible binary distros of Apache, PHP4, MySQL and Perl (I don't
> want to convert/compile them myself).

You may use the cygwin ports of Apache 1.3.x and PHP 4.x to develop on a Win32
system and copy the same setup to a UNIX based machine

Check these URLs

    http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/
    http://apache.dev.wapme.net/

Regards,
Stipe

tolj@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de

* Re: Is CygWin the thing for UNIX compatible web development on Windows?
@ 2001-07-17 14:05   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-07-17 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 17 Jul 2001, um 19:49 hat Stipe Tolj geschrieben:

> > CygWin a likely solution to my problem? I presume I'll also need to find
> > CygWin compatible binary distros of Apache, PHP4, MySQL and Perl (I don't
> > want to convert/compile them myself).
>
> You may use the cygwin ports of Apache 1.3.x and PHP 4.x to develop on a Win32
> system and copy the same setup to a UNIX based machine

Perl comes with cygwin, it is not the 'latest' version, but it does
its job.
I'm not aware of a mysql binary at this time, it failed to build the
last time i tried.  Or is there someone who got a binary out there
somewhere?  On the other hand cygwin comes with postgresql which is
much more advanced than mysql...

> Check these URLs
>
>     http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/
>     http://apache.dev.wapme.net/
>
> Regards,
> Stipe

gph

--
=^..^=

* Re: Is CygWin the thing for UNIX compatible web development on Windows?
@ 2001-07-18 23:43     ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2001-07-18 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: cygwin

> I'm not aware of a mysql binary at this time, it failed to build the
> last time i tried.  Or is there someone who got a binary out there
> somewhere?  On the other hand cygwin comes with postgresql which is
> much more advanced than mysql...

no, mysqld is currently _not_ running on cygwin because of missing pthread
functionality.

But I have to addmit that the last build I tried is a couple of months ago and there
has been a lot of work on the pthread side of cygwin, so I suppose there should be
another try in the upcoming weeks.

@ 2001-07-24  9:43   ` Raith Munro
From: Raith Munro @ 2001-07-24  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for the help Stipe,

It just occured to me that I can use cygwin for Apache and PHP4 (coz they
need to do UNIX disk related stuff) and stay using the Win32 port of MySQL.
The only problem that I might have now (apart from zero understanding of
UNIX) is whether or not the cygwin PHP version is up-to-date enough.

Thanks again,

Raith

You may use the cygwin ports of Apache 1.3.x and PHP 4.x to develop on a
Win32
system and copy the same setup to a UNIX based machine

Check these URLs

    http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/
    http://apache.dev.wapme.net/

Regards,
Stipe

* Looking for PHP4 binary with MySQL support
@ 2001-07-25 15:33   ` Raith Munro
From: Raith Munro @ 2001-07-25 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi List,

Sorry but I'm helpless again. I need PHP4 running under cygwin (I will use
it as a CGI from Apache) but it needs to have MySQL support. I will use the
Win32 port of MySQL running outside of cygwin.

I downloaded the PHP4 source from here
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/Distribution/Source/php/ but building
it from this is beyond me so I'm hoping that someone has already done so and
can point me to a download of a binary that I can drop into place. I hope
it's that simple - it certainly worked for Apache.

When the situation is less desperate I hope to learn how to drive cygwin
properly. In the meantime I am relying on the excellent job that is being
done by you guys. Thanks.

Raith