* Re: cron ignores my settings
@ 2001-07-20  7:51 Julian Hall
From: Julian Hall @ 2001-07-20  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin McRorie; +Cc: Cygwin Maillist

> I've even tried
> setting the runmc script with chmod +x which doesn't seem to do
anything as
> ls still shows it has no execute privilege.   Please note that the
runmc
> script does execute and work properly when I call it manually!

ls should show it with execute privelege if it is an executable file
(either a PE file, or one that starts #!).  Note that BASH can execute
files that are not actually valid shell scripts by making the assumption
that they are intended to be executed by bash, even when they don't have
an inital #!... line, so it would be advisable to check that this line
is indeed present as it sounds to me as though it isn't.

Hope this helps!

Jules

* Re: cron ignores my settings
@ 2001-07-20 13:22 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-20 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 10:24:16AM -0400, Devin McRorie wrote:

> Hey Corinna,
>
> Can you send me instructions on how to install the snapshots?  Admittedly I
> am a database developer, not a UNIX developer.

Nothing special. Download the latest cygwin1-YYYYMMDD.dll.bz2
from http://www.cygwin.com/snapshots/ , bunzip it, exit Cygwin
(all processes!), in Explorer rename the current cygwin1.dll
to cygwin1.dll.ORIG, move the new dll into the /bin folder and
rename it to cygwin1.dll. Then try cron again.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: cron ignores my settings
@ 2001-07-20  7:30 Devin McRorie
From: Devin McRorie @ 2001-07-20  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Hey Corinna,

Can you send me instructions on how to install the snapshots?  Admittedly I
am a database developer, not a UNIX developer.

I really appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Devin McRorie

* Re: cron ignores my settings
@ 2001-07-20  6:50 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-07-20  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Maillist

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 08:54:12AM -0400, Devin McRorie wrote:

> I'm having a devil of a time getting cron to do anything under cygwin.  Is
> there a way to do diagnostics, or see cron error info or check how cron is
> setup to figure out why it isn't working?
>
> I am logged in as Administrator on a Windows 2000 machine.  I use crontab
> -e to put in a task.  The task is:
>
> 40 08 * * * /u/srcmail/sh/runmc
>
> Of course the header information is all about not editing the crontab file
> directly.  I left that out since we've all seen it.  I've even tried
> setting the runmc script with chmod +x which doesn't seem to do anything as
> ls still shows it has no execute privilege.   Please note that the runmc
> script does execute and work properly when I call it manually!  So the
> problem is probably with cron or the cygwin setup.
>
> I really appreciate your help!

Perhaps cron isn't able to switch user context. Check both,
your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, use mkpasswd and mkgroup
to regenerate them if needed. Try using the latest developer
snapshot of Cygwin.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* cron ignores my settings