* 1.3.2: no uname
@ 2001-07-24 15:55 Mike Nordell
From: Mike Nordell @ 2001-07-24 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Getting both 1.3.2-1 and the earlier one, there's no "uname" included,
making it in reality impossible to use.

I hunted hi and lo, even trying to recompile it - but since it needs uname
for configure to be run...

Since this seems to have been a long-standing problem I'm a bit surprised I
haven't found any info on it on neither a WWW-search nor at the cygwin site.

/Mike

* Re: 1.3.2: no uname
@ 2001-07-24 16:13 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-07-24 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mike Nordell schrieb am 2001-07-25, 0:58:

> Getting both 1.3.2-1 and the earlier one, there's no "uname" included,
> making it in reality impossible to use.
>
> I hunted hi and lo, even trying to recompile it - but since it needs uname
> for configure to be run...

$ uname --version
uname (GNU sh-utils) 2.0
Written by David MacKenzie.

> Since this seems to have been a long-standing problem I'm a bit surprised I
> haven't found any info on it on neither a WWW-search nor at the cygwin site.
>
> /Mike

gph

--
=^..^=

* RE: 1.3.2: no uname
@ 2001-07-24 16:12 Troy Noble
From: Troy Noble @ 2001-07-24 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Mike Nordell', cygwin

Did you run setup.exe to do your install, and did you remember
to select shellutils?  (or better yet install all as recommended
in recent posts on this list).

shellutils is the package that contains uname.exe and it gets installed
in the bin directory by default:

$ type uname
uname is /bin/uname

You're probably also missing other useful stuff like date, basename,
dirname, hostname, nice, sleep, stty, pwd too right?  I'm not sure
how things would be running nicely at all without those either...
or without any of the shellutils for that matter.

Troy