* FTPD is still not working
@ 2001-09-06  9:13 Brian.Kelly
From: Brian.Kelly @ 2001-09-06  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been working on software that utilized the cygwin ftpd daemon. Everything
was working
fine in March-April. Then I took a break from the NT development and
concentrated on
UNIX. In the meantime, I downloaded new releases of inetutils (and other
modules) as they
became available and installed them without fanfare. Unfortunately, I didn't
test the ftp server
software and "dumbly" assumed it would work as it always had.

    GOTCHA!!!!!!!!

When I attempted to incorporate the NT work I had earlier accomplished into the
near finished
project, I was in for a nasty surprise. NT FTP NO LONGER WORKED. After some
research
through the mail archives, I found this post:

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.3.2-13
To: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.3.2-13
From: "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit dot haase at t-online dot de>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 23:25:46 +0200

Corinna Vinschen schrieb am 2001-05-23, 10:42:

> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:23:00PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen schrieb am 2001-05-22, 10:47:
> >
> > > I've updated the version of inetutils in cygwin/latest to 1.3.2-13.
> >
> > I will never understand all this...
>
> I think, I do. It's probably my fault.
>
> > And why am I SYSTEM now?
>
> Are you using ntsec? If not, could you set CYGWIN to contain ntsec
> for inetd and look if that changes things for you?

Yes, sure am I using ntsec, as systemwide Variable and also in cygwin.bat:
1: inetd got no TTY:
$ ps -e
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
      433       1     433        433    1  500 22:33:33 /usr/bin/bash
      390     433     390        532    1  500 22:39:19 /usr/local/bin/perl
      284       1     284        284    0  500 22:54:14 /usr/bin/bash
      528       1     528        528    ?   18 22:55:03 /usr/sbin/inetd
      242     528     528        242    ?   18 22:55:15 /usr/sbin/inetd
      481     284     481        412    0  500 22:55:21 /usr/bin/ps

2: it is UID 18

3: CYGWIN is:
$ set
[...]
CYGWIN=$'binmode tty ntea ntsec title case_check:strict'
[...]

4: After login with telnet, i'm User SYSTEM, BASH=/bin/sh and
NO CYGWIN at all, login to ftpd fails (failed not before upgrade).
I don't use rsh so i don't know if it is different now.

> Sigh, I fear I have to change this and that in the authentication
> code in Cygwin...

O.K. i'll try next release.

> Unfortunately, this code is executed even if ntsec is off while another
> piece of code which tries to evaluate the current user is partly not
> executed when ntsec is off. AFAICS, this results in a misinterpretation
> of the user information.

Hmm, i never turn off ntsec if not trying a new port of some cute software.

gph

This is precisely the problem I am having. And I am using the very latest
release inetutils-1.3.2-14.
Is there something I'm missing? If this is still an ongoing problem, then is it
possible to get
a copy of inetutils that didn't have this problem? I do not have backups of  the
 distribution code
from March-April.  (I wish I did!)  I'm really under the gun here.

Thanks
Brian Kelly

--
This electronic message contains information that may be legally confidential and/or privileged.  The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it.

* Re: FTPD is still not working
@ 2001-09-06  9:21 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-06  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 12:10:43PM -0400, Brian.Kelly@empireblue.com wrote:
> This is precisely the problem I am having. And I am using the very latest
> release inetutils-1.3.2-14.
> Is there something I'm missing? If this is still an ongoing problem, then is it
> possible to get
> a copy of inetutils that didn't have this problem? I do not have backups of  the
>  distribution code
> from March-April.  (I wish I did!)  I'm really under the gun here.

It's not inetutils, it's inside of Cygwin 1.3.2.

Just a hint, make really sure that you have well defined /etc/passwd
and /etc/group files. The latest changes to the setuid() stuff in
Cygwin depends on a well shaped group file, too.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: FTPD is still not working
@ 2001-09-06 10:02 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-06 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Kelly; +Cc: cygwin

Brian.Kelly@empireblue.com schrieb am 2001-09-06, 12:10:

>Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: inetutils-1.3.2-13

>This is precisely the problem I am having. And I am using the very latest
>release inetutils-1.3.2-14.

After updating to inetutils-1.3.2-14 everything worked well for me (i think
so), but as i see now, you're right, I got it back again, too.
Telnet<>SYSTEM and ftp login failed.

You may fetch a recent snapshot from your cygwin mirror.
I just tested with 2001-09-04's snapshot-dll and it works well.
(I just fetched cygwin1-20010904.dll.bz2 and replaced the old one):

Siebenschlaefer@LORELEY ~
$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to loreley.familiehaase.de.
Escape character is '^]'.

CYGWIN_NT-4.0 1.3.3s(0.44/3/2) (loreley) (tty1)

login: Siebenschlaefer
Password:
Fanfare!!!
You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
You have mail.

Siebenschlaefer@LORELEY ~
$ ftp localhost
Connected to loreley.familiehaase.de.
220-
220- Wow! I have found the ftp daemon! Let's see...
220-
220 loreley FTP server (GNU inetutils 1.3.2) ready.
Name (localhost:Siebenschlaefer): Siebenschlaefer
331 Password required for Siebenschlaefer.
Password:
230- Fanfare!!!
230- You are successfully logged in to this server!!!
230 User Siebenschlaefer logged in.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

Siebenschlaefer@LORELEY ~
$ exitConnection closed by foreign host.

Siebenschlaefer@LORELEY ~
$

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* Re: FTPD is still not working
@ 2001-09-07  3:58 Brian.Kelly
From: Brian.Kelly @ 2001-09-07  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I tried the snapshot dll - it didn't work for me. In fact I couldn't even get
the bash shell
to come up by itself. So then I downloaded the entire cygwin install snapshot
and could bring
the bash shell up - but the ftp problem was still the same. Of course there's
always the
possibility I screwed up a step somewhere. Nevertheless, my immediate needs are
met. I'll definitely try the next release. Thanks for all your help.

Brian Kelly

--

@ 2001-09-07  1:23 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-07  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian.Kelly; +Cc: cygwin

Brian.Kelly@empireblue.com schrieb am 2001-09-06, 18:30:

>Well I appreciate the quick response - unfortunately, the advice did not
>work for me. I did however manage to find a mirror site where I could
>download these two "ancient" versions of inetutils and cygwin:

>     cygwin-1.1.3-1.tar.gz
>     inetutils-1.3.2-4.tar.gz

I don't think 'downgrading' is a good solution.  If you cannot wait for
a new release, why not use a recent snapshot of the cygwin1.dll?  I tried
and it works well for inetd and telnet and ftpd and sshd and ssh, so why
downgrading?

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* Re: FTPD is still not working
@ 2001-09-06 15:31 Brian.Kelly
From: Brian.Kelly @ 2001-09-06 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well I appreciate the quick response - unfortunately, the advice did not work
for me.
I did however manage to find a mirror site where I could download these two
"ancient"
versions of inetutils and cygwin:

     cygwin-1.1.3-1.tar.gz
     inetutils-1.3.2-4.tar.gz

Now ftpd works again with ntsec and all the goodies. I tried the latest
inetutils-1.3.2-14.tar.gz
with the above cygwin version but I got "connection refused". Bottom line - I'm
back in action.
However, I would like to get back to the latest versions as soon as this problem
is fixed
-- once and for all. In the meantime, anyone else who has need of these older
versions, can
go to the mirror site:

http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/old/

Brian Kelly