* RE: libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH
@ 2001-09-11  6:14 Lawrence W. Smith
From: Lawrence W. Smith @ 2001-09-11  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> What says: $ ls -l /usr/lib/libwrap*
> is it readable?

-rw-r--r--    1 Administ None        15816 Sep 11 02:55 /usr/lib/libwrap.a

> What is your CYGWIN setting: $ set | grep CYGWIN
> ntsec on?

hmmm very odd nothing at all no CYGWIN env var at all!

lots of environment vars are set for cygwin just not $CYGWIN itself

* RE: libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH
@ 2001-09-11  8:13 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-11  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence W. Smith; +Cc: cygwin

Lawrence W. Smith schrieb am 2001-09-11, 14:11:

>> What says: $ ls -l /usr/lib/libwrap*
>> is it readable?
>
>-rw-r--r--    1 Administ None        15816 Sep 11 02:55 /usr/lib/libwrap.a
>
>> What is your CYGWIN setting: $ set | grep CYGWIN
>> ntsec on?
>
>hmmm very odd nothing at all no CYGWIN env var at all!
>
>lots of environment vars are set for cygwin just not $CYGWIN itself

That is not good, set it systemwide, at least to CYGWIN=tty ntsec binmode
Look also this:
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* RE: libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH
@ 2001-09-12 11:19 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-12 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence W. Smith, cygwin

Lawrence W. Smith schrieb am 2001-09-12, 5:06:

Hi Lawrence,

>I appreciate your help ...
>

>> Somehow your installation is messed up.
>
>deleted everything
>re-downloaded all tarballs and all source
>re-installed
>regenerated passwd / group
>checked env vars
>rebuilt tcp_wrappers
>success
>libwrap.a in /usr/lib
>tcpd.h in /usr/include
>
>rebuilt openssl
>success
>
>openssh --with-tcp-wrappers

I have openssh-2.9p2-3-src.tar.bz2 from the cygwin mirrors.

>checking for vis.h... no
>checking for GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC support... yes
>checking for gl_matchc field in glob_t... no
>checking whether struct dirent allocates space for d_name... yes
>checking for libwrap... configure: error: *** libwrap missing
>
>back to square one !!!
>
>No other cygwin1.dll's at all.

Well i thought, because last time you reported another error:
>checking for gcc... gcc
>checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
>cannot create executables.

>cleaned up the path so there's nothing but the cygwin dirs now.
>/usr/bin /bin /sbin etc

Good.

>still no joy

Bad.

>Is this a problem of not finding libwrap.a or is there something
>wrong in the configure test?

No.

It works for me:

$ ./configure --with-tcp-wrappers --with-pcre --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var \
>  --with-mantype=man --with-pid-dir=/var/run 2>&1 | tee log.configure
[...]
checking for vis.h... no
checking for GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC support... yes
checking for gl_matchc field in glob_t... no
checking whether struct dirent allocates space for d_name... yes
checking for libwrap... yes
checking for arc4random... no
checking for atexit... yes
[...]

BUT:
====
Now as i try to build, i got problems, too. Compiling works fine, no errors
only some minor warnings, but the linking doesn't work. I got millions of
undefined references, fprintf() was only the first one.
Not sure what is here the problem, maybe I should link with gcc instead of ld.

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* RE: libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH
@ 2001-09-11 21:09 Lawrence W. Smith
From: Lawrence W. Smith @ 2001-09-11 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gerrit,

I appreciate your help ...

> Somehow your installation is messed up.

deleted everything
re-downloaded all tarballs and all source
re-installed
regenerated passwd / group
checked env vars
rebuilt tcp_wrappers
success
libwrap.a in /usr/lib
tcpd.h in /usr/include

rebuilt openssl
success

openssh --with-tcp-wrappers

checking for vis.h... no
checking for GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC support... yes
checking for gl_matchc field in glob_t... no
checking whether struct dirent allocates space for d_name... yes
checking for libwrap... configure: error: *** libwrap missing

back to square one !!!

No other cygwin1.dll's at all.

cleaned up the path so there's nothing but the cygwin dirs now.
/usr/bin /bin /sbin etc
still no joy

Is this a problem of not finding libwrap.a or is there something
wrong in the configure test?

What is it the configure looks for in this:

# Check whether user wants TCP wrappers support
TCPW_MSG="no"
# Check whether --with-tcp-wrappers or --without-tcp-wrappers was given.
if test "${with_tcp_wrappers+set}" = set; then
  withval="$with_tcp_wrappers"

                if test "x$withval" != "xno" ; then
                        saved_LIBS="$LIBS"
                        LIBS="-lwrap $LIBS"
                        echo $ac_n "checking for libwrap""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:3176: checking for libwrap" >&5
                        cat > conftest.$ac_ext <<EOF
#line 3178 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <tcpd.h>
                                      int deny_severity = 0, allow_severity =0;

int main() {
hosts_access(0);
; return 0; }

what I don't understand is this worked a treat with previous versions of openssh.

Thanks again

Lawrence

* RE: libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH
@ 2001-09-11 18:29 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-11 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lawrence W. Smith; +Cc: cygwin

Lawrence W. Smith schrieb am 2001-09-11, 22:33:

>> That is not good, set it systemwide, at least to CYGWIN=tty
>> ntsec binmode
>> Look also this:
>> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html
>>
>> Gerrit
>>

>ok set that
>
>now get this:
>
>checking for gcc... gcc
>checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
>configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
>cannot create executables.
>
>file permissions ?
>I'm running this with full administrative rights.

Somehow your installation is messed up.
Maybe two different versions of cygwin1.dll?

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* RE: libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH
@ 2001-09-11 14:36 Lawrence W. Smith
From: Lawrence W. Smith @ 2001-09-11 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-09-11  8:10   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-11  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 02:21:14PM +0200, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>lws.juiceco@hushmail.com schrieb am 2001-09-11, 4:30:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've searched the lists for help with this but it seems to be
>>a bit of a dead end:
>>
>>tcp_wrappers_7.6 patched compiled ok
>>libwrap.a in /usr/lib
>>tcpd.h in /usr/include
>>
>>zlib is built and installed
>>
>>openssl-0.9.6b-1 builds no problem
>>
>>then openssh-2.9p2-3 refuses to configure.
>>
>>I get this far:
>>
>>checking for GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC support... yes
>>checking for gl_matchc field in glob_t... no
>>checking whether struct dirent allocates space for d_name... y
>>checking for libwrap... configure: error: *** libwrap missing
>
>What says: $ ls -l /usr/lib/libwrap*
>is it readable?
>What is your CYGWIN setting: $ set | grep CYGWIN
>ntsec on?

AFAIK, we don't distribute libwrap as a standard part of the Cygwin
distribution so, unless someone makes an effort to install it, it
WOULD be missing.

cgf

* Re: libwrap missing on configure of OpenSSH
@ 2001-09-11  5:50 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-11  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-09-11  4:32 lws.juiceco
From: lws.juiceco @ 2001-09-11  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I've searched the lists for help with this but it seems to be
a bit of a dead end:

tcp_wrappers_7.6 patched compiled ok
libwrap.a in /usr/lib
tcpd.h in /usr/include

zlib is built and installed

openssl-0.9.6b-1 builds no problem

then openssh-2.9p2-3 refuses to configure.

I get this far:

checking for GLOB_ALTDIRFUNC support... yes
checking for gl_matchc field in glob_t... no
checking whether struct dirent allocates space for d_name... y
checking for libwrap... configure: error: *** libwrap missing

I'm pretty sure the error doesn't entirely point to the problem
because I tried setting paths to libwrap.a explicitly and it
makes not a blind bit of difference.

It will configure and compile fine so long as I don't try to
use tcp-wrappers.

Ideas please? Previous versions have built with no problems and
this is a fresh win2k sp2 build that's only had the current
cygwin installed (default c:\cygwin)

Many Thanks for any tips and pointers

Lawrence