* Re: Missing wide character functions in libc.a
       [not found] <006201c13a52$0627de90$150a0eca@ewok>
@ 2001-09-10 17:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-10 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert; +Cc: cygwin

Please check out the project web page for links to available information
and ports:  http://cygwin.com/ .

If you don't see what you need there, then the cygwin mailing list is
the best place to make observations or get questions answered.
Information on the mailing list is available at the project web page.

For your convenience, I've reset the Reply-To: address to point to the
cygwin mailing list.  I've also Cc'ed this reply there.

@ 2001-09-10 18:24   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-10 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Herbert

BTW, this subject (wide and multibyte character functions in cygwin)
just came up on the XEmacs-nt list.  Ben Wing is trying to get "MULE"
support for XEmacs to work on cygwin (MULE is some sort of
character-coding, wide-char, unicode thingy...)

Anyway, check the xemacs-nt mailing list if you're interested:
http://list-archive.xemacs.org/xemacs-nt/

(Also, you may see references to a possible (new) bug in sscanf -- I
haven't had time to track that one down, and forgot to mention it.  I'll
put that in its own thread)

(Chris hates these taglines, but here goes:
Just a datapoint.

--Chuck

Hmm...the message I was referring to doesn't seem to have made it into
the xemacs-nt archives.  Well, here it is from my local copy:

> Ben Wing wrote:
> Mostly I've done a bunch of cleanup work.  I also fixed the various bugs pointed
> out by Fabrice, Daniel Pittman, and others, although not yet Matej's, which are
> harder.  It definitely should work on Windows w/Mule [probably without as well],
> and Cygwin w/o Mule.  Probably on other platforms as well.  One problem I've
> noticed so far is with Cygwin w/Mule: you get a crash at startup in
> parse-unicode-translation-table.  I don't quite know what the problem is and
> haven't been able to debug it yet, as the debugger keeps locking up.

David A. Cobb responded.

@ 2001-09-11 18:19     ` Herbert
From: Herbert @ 2001-09-11 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, cygwin

Would you know where can I find the source code to fix missing functions
(wcspbrk(), wcschr(), wcsrchr(), wcscoll(), wcsrfxm(), towupper(),
towlower() etc) in /lib/libc.a? I tried to "brower" from GNU's glibc source
(which does not build on Cygwin at moment), but it does not seem to be a
clean and easy cut.

I also download Cygwin source, but seem to me that these function just
haven't been implemented?!

Thanks.

Cheers,
Herbert
--
Preston Aviation Solution
488 Victoria Street,

@ 2001-09-11 18:26       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-11 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert; +Cc: cygwin

Herbert wrote:

> Would you know where can I find the source code to fix missing functions
> (wcspbrk(), wcschr(), wcsrchr(), wcscoll(), wcsrfxm(), towupper(),
> towlower() etc) in /lib/libc.a? I tried to "brower" from GNU's glibc source
> (which does not build on Cygwin at moment), but it does not seem to be a
> clean and easy cut.

Well, on cygwin you don't really use "libc.a".  You use libcygwin.a
(which is actually an import lib for cygwin1.dll -- but it is
cygwin1.dll that contains the "libc" functions, really)

It's not surprising that the glibc stuff doesn't work -- cygwin uses
newlib's implementations.  (Also, as has been previously stated, newlib
cannot accept code 'lifted' from glibc for legal reasons).

> I also download Cygwin source, but seem to me that these function just
> haven't been implemented?!

Right.  If you want 'em, you're gonna have to write 'em from scratch.
Without borrowing from glibc.  (And then send in a patch to the newlib
folks.)

Wasn't this just discussed about two days ago?

--Chuck