* Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 12:50 David Monk
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Monk @ 2001-09-12 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am running the latest net realease on NT 4 and Win 2k. I am having a
problem limiting, from cygwin, the permissions on a bash script so that only
the owner can execute it.
I finally after much fiddling figured out that with the shebang line in the
script, cygwin immediately thinks it's executable by all. If I try any chmod
affecting it's executable status, it's ignored. How can I work around this?
Also, how can this be worked around on Win9x also, as it is planned to
eventually distribute this script set.

Thanks,
David Monk CCNA. MCSE
david@purplebear.net

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:23 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Monk, cygwin

At 03:50 PM 9/12/2001, David Monk wrote:
>I am running the latest net realease on NT 4 and Win 2k. I am having a
>problem limiting, from cygwin, the permissions on a bash script so that only
>the owner can execute it.
>I finally after much fiddling figured out that with the shebang line in the
>script, cygwin immediately thinks it's executable by all. If I try any chmod
>affecting it's executable status, it's ignored. How can I work around this?

Set ntsec in your CYGWIN environment before starting any Cygwin app.

>Also, how can this be worked around on Win9x also, as it is planned to
>eventually distribute this script set.

You can't.  9x has no concept of security.

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:25 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-12 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 02:50:30PM -0500, David Monk wrote:
> I am running the latest net realease on NT 4 and Win 2k. I am having a
> problem limiting, from cygwin, the permissions on a bash script so that only
> the owner can execute it.
> I finally after much fiddling figured out that with the shebang line in the
> script, cygwin immediately thinks it's executable by all. If I try any chmod
> affecting it's executable status, it's ignored. How can I work around this?
> Also, how can this be worked around on Win9x also, as it is planned to
> eventually distribute this script set.

On NT use CYGWIN=ntsec to use the NTFS ACLs, on 9x forget about it.
Where there's no security at all...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:30 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-12 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Monk schrieb am 2001-09-12, 14:50:

>I am running the latest net realease on NT 4 and Win 2k. I am having a
>problem limiting, from cygwin, the permissions on a bash script so that only
>the owner can execute it.
>I finally after much fiddling figured out that with the shebang line in the
>script, cygwin immediately thinks it's executable by all. If I try any chmod
>affecting it's executable status, it's ignored. How can I work around this?

set CYGWIN=ntsec

>Also, how can this be worked around on Win9x also, as it is planned to
>eventually distribute this script set.

There are no permissions on win98. Everyone is allowed to do everything.

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:35   ` David Monk
From: David Monk @ 2001-09-12 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On NT use CYGWIN=ntsec to use the NTFS ACLs, on 9x forget about it.
> Where there's no security at all...

There are problems with this approach. When I set ntsec in the CYGWIN
environment variable, everything is now marked as executable. And I DO mean
everything. It would be a nightmare to manually go through and change
permissions on everything.

Maybe Cygwin won't be able to be a supported platform after all.

Thanks anyway,
David Monk CCNA, MCSE
david@purplebear.net

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:46     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Monk, cygwin

At 04:35 PM 9/12/2001, David Monk wrote:
> > On NT use CYGWIN=ntsec to use the NTFS ACLs, on 9x forget about it.
> > Where there's no security at all...
>
>There are problems with this approach. When I set ntsec in the CYGWIN
>environment variable, everything is now marked as executable. And I DO mean
>everything. It would be a nightmare to manually go through and change
>permissions on everything.

Did you have a snapshot DLL on your system at any time?  That might explain
what you see.  The behavior you describe is not typical.

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:49     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-12 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 03:35:33PM -0500, David Monk wrote:
> > On NT use CYGWIN=ntsec to use the NTFS ACLs, on 9x forget about it.
> > Where there's no security at all...
>
> There are problems with this approach. When I set ntsec in the CYGWIN
> environment variable, everything is now marked as executable. And I DO mean
> everything. It would be a nightmare to manually go through and change
> permissions on everything.

Apparently you don't seem to understand the concept of NTFS security
and _why_ it's set that way after switching ntsec on. Besides the
Microsoft documentation read http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html .
Thinko:  When Cygwin has been installed using no security settings at
att, how are the default settings on the files...

> Maybe Cygwin won't be able to be a supported platform after all.

It could depend on the developer of the application, too, not only
on the developer of the underlying system...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:50       ` David Monk
From: David Monk @ 2001-09-12 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)

The only cygwin1.ddl this system has ever seen is the one I installed via
setup.exe from http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

David Monk

> At 04:35 PM 9/12/2001, David Monk wrote:
> > > On NT use CYGWIN=ntsec to use the NTFS ACLs, on 9x forget about it.
> > > Where there's no security at all...
> >
> >There are problems with this approach. When I set ntsec in the CYGWIN
> >environment variable, everything is now marked as executable. And I DO
mean
> >everything. It would be a nightmare to manually go through and change
> >permissions on everything.
>

> Did you have a snapshot DLL on your system at any time?  That might
explain
> what you see.  The behavior you describe is not typical.
>

> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
> 118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 13:54         ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Monk, cygwin

OK, I can't explain the behavior you see with ntsec enabled then.

Sorry.

Larry

@ 2001-09-12 14:01       ` David Monk
From: David Monk @ 2001-09-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

> Apparently you don't seem to understand the concept of NTFS security
> and _why_ it's set that way after switching ntsec on. Besides the
> Microsoft documentation read http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html .
> Thinko:  When Cygwin has been installed using no security settings at
> att, how are the default settings on the files...

I would actually, considering my environment, love to switch to using the
ntsec setting. But, how do I change over to the new setting without a whole
ton of work? I have made so many additions to cygwin since original
installation here.

David Monk

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 14:05         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-12 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 04:01:24PM -0500, David Monk wrote:
>> Apparently you don't seem to understand the concept of NTFS security
>> and _why_ it's set that way after switching ntsec on. Besides the
>> Microsoft documentation read http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html .
>> Thinko:  When Cygwin has been installed using no security settings at
>> att, how are the default settings on the files...
>>

>I would actually, considering my environment, love to switch to using the
>ntsec setting. But, how do I change over to the new setting without a whole
>ton of work? I have made so many additions to cygwin since original
>installation here.

chmod -R a-x /lib /etc
etc.
Leave the directories containing binary files alone.

You don't have to laboriously do a chmod for every file.

cgf

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 14:42           ` David Monk
From: David Monk @ 2001-09-12 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> chmod -R a-x /lib /etc
> etc.
> Leave the directories containing binary files alone.
>
> You don't have to laboriously do a chmod for every file.
>
> cgf

This is great and all, but it will leave any subdirectories thereunder
inaccessible until +x is set on them.

David Monk

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 14:55             ` Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 2001-09-12 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Monk, cygwin

How 'bout "find . -type d | xargs chmod a+x" to fix the directory settings.

--Rick
--- David Monk <david@purplebear.net> wrote:
> > chmod -R a-x /lib /etc
> > etc.
> > Leave the directories containing binary files alone.
> >
> > You don't have to laboriously do a chmod for every file.
> >
> > cgf
>
> This is great and all, but it will leave any subdirectories thereunder
> inaccessible until +x is set on them.
>
> David Monk
>

> --

* Re: Bash script permissions
@ 2001-09-12 15:02               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-12 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 02:45:30PM -0700, Rick Rankin wrote:
> How 'bout "find . -type d | xargs chmod a+x" to fix the directory settings.

And then setting the permissions on files will need another
similar command.  Shouldn't be too hard to figure that out
by yourself using manpages and all...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Properly using ntsec, from the beginning
@ 2001-09-13  6:30                 ` David Monk
From: David Monk @ 2001-09-13  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

How would one go about doing a fresh install on NTFS, whether it be NT or
2000, and use the ntsec option of CYGWIN properly, without having to
immediately change file and directory permissions throughout?
IOW, is there a proven method to install Cygwin and get a proper filesystem
tree with permissions on text files, configuration files, and executable
scripts set similar to a typical UNIX filesystem? And also have proper
permission manipulation within cygwin.

David Monk

* Re: Properly using ntsec, from the beginning
@ 2001-09-13  6:59                   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-09-13  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 08:30:41AM -0500, David Monk wrote:
> How would one go about doing a fresh install on NTFS, whether it be NT or
> 2000, and use the ntsec option of CYGWIN properly, without having to
> immediately change file and directory permissions throughout?
> IOW, is there a proven method to install Cygwin and get a proper filesystem
> tree with permissions on text files, configuration files, and executable
> scripts set similar to a typical UNIX filesystem? And also have proper
> permission manipulation within cygwin.

Setup.exe is not ntsec aware currently and since NT doesn't support
setting POSIX permissions by default, the answer is no.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Properly using ntsec, from the beginning
@ 2001-09-13  7:25                   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-13  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Monk, Corinna Vinschen

David Monk schrieb am 2001-09-13, 8:30:

>How would one go about doing a fresh install on NTFS, whether it be NT or
>2000, and use the ntsec option of CYGWIN properly, without having to
>immediately change file and directory permissions throughout?
>IOW, is there a proven method to install Cygwin and get a proper filesystem
>tree with permissions on text files, configuration files, and executable
>scripts set similar to a typical UNIX filesystem? And also have proper
>permission manipulation within cygwin.

Mike Erdely has written a script to fix the permissions
after a fresh install.

Gerrit

--
Here is the script: