* Re: DirectX Frustrations
@ 2001-09-16 21:31 Michael D. Crawford
From: Michael D. Crawford @ 2001-09-16 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Oddly, when I compile using visual C rather than GCC, there are no warnings.
> (I normaly treat warnings as errors) The warnings that GCC are displaying
> are curious -- they seem like things that VisualC should have picked up.
> This will all be fixed probably within the next few days.

It is very worthwhile to compile code with multiple compilers for this specific
reason.  Especially with C++, where no one quite conforms to the ISO standard,
compiling with multiple compilers will pick up an error in one compiler that
another compiler passes.

If you write some wrong code but your compiler says it's OK, chances are pretty
good that's it's not doing what you really desire.

Unfortunately, programming to multiple compilers also means you have to avoid
what breaks all of the compilers.  Visual C++ just drives me around the bend, I
write all kinds of stuff that I'm sure is legit in G++ and Metrowerks
CodeWarrior but Visual C++ won't accept it.

I'm just about to try again to get ZooLib to build under CygWin
( http://zoolib.sourceforge.net ).

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com

* Re: DirectX Frustrations
@ 2001-09-16 21:13   ` Rob Quattlebaum
From: Rob Quattlebaum @ 2001-09-16 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-16 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: darco

On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 08:19:18PM -0700, Rob Quattlebaum wrote:
>I have gotten it to the point where everything compiles, and I fail at
>linktime.
>
>Here is a log of the GCC builds: > http://www.voria.net/darco/geode/02.txt

Your link line looks like this:

gcc -g -mwindows -lddraw -ldinput -ldsound -ldxguid -lwinmm  src/winproc.o

The '-lwhatever' options do not precede the object files they go AFTER
the object files.  This has been mentioned here repeatedly.  It's not
a cygwin issue.  This is how gcc and ld work everywhere.

I suspect that you'll probably have lots of other problems given all of the
warnings that are in your build log but this much at least you should
fix.  I'm surprised that you couldn't find this if you actually have
looked in the email archives as you indicated.

cgf

* DirectX Frustrations
@ 2001-09-16 20:19 Rob Quattlebaum
From: Rob Quattlebaum @ 2001-09-16 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've been programming with Cygwin for some time now, but every time I try to
get something to compile that uses DirectX, I end up giving up after several
hours of frustration. I have looked at the past mailing lists, etc... I have
found a message or two that someone like me posted asking for help. One such
message had a reply to look back to further messages, and go goto the cygwin
website. As far as I can tell, the Cygwin website doesn't say a damned thing
about DirectX, and any site that I do find that tells me how to setup
directX seems very outdated. I am exhausted looking for the answers, so now
I am just going to ask.

Here's my problem: I am working on a game project for school with several
other people. Currently, we are using the visual c compiler, and just using
cygwin as a development environment. (Makes it easier for automated builds,
etc.)

However, I always felt weird using the VisualC compiler, and I always wanted
to use the GCC compiler instead. I have gotten it to the point where
everything compiles, and I fail at linktime.

Here is a log of the GCC builds: http://www.voria.net/darco/geode/02.txt

The version of Cygwin that I am using is fresh off the web. I copied over
ddraw.h and dsound.h from my VisualStudio tools into the /usr/include/w32api
directory, and it compiles fine with them.

I have the CVS Repository available here:
http://cvs.voria.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mkultra/ If you want to examine the
makefiles or whatnot, you can.

Once again, I am compiling fine. Linktime is where the problems are. I
believe that I am including the right libraries, but I'm not sure. (look at
the build log above to see exactly what's going on)

This is very frustrating, because no matter how much I look I cannot seem to
find any straight answer as to how to get this configuration up and running.
What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Quattlebaum
darco@bigfoot.com