* [ANN] dllhelpers-0.2.8 available
@ 2001-09-19 15:22 Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-19 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've updated the dllhelpers package at cygutils

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/dll-stuff/

The new version no longer uses the '--enable-auto-image-base' function
of the linker; it seems to cause problems under cygwin.  Instead,
DLL-builders should either

   a) don't specifiy any image base -- just let the linker use its
default of 0x10000000.  Thus, all DLLs will have the same image base,
and the windows runtime linker will relocate them when an application
loads them.  However, they won't then conflict with the cygwin1.dll
(which is absolutely required).  Also, runtime relocation is relatively
inexpensive on windows.

   b) explicitly specify an image base for every DLL you build (be
careful!).  -Wl,--image-base=0xXXXXXXXX.

this is explained in the updated documentation within the dllhelpers
package.

Also, I've added a "c_and_c++" example, with two DLL's -- one C-based
and one C++based -- which are both used by a single C++ client application.

--Chuck

* Re: [ANN] dllhelpers-0.2.8 available
@ 2001-09-19 15:29 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-09-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you, Chuck, for responding so quickly to this problem.

I'm sorry that my recent cygwin/XP/cygheap "solution" essentially caused
you some extra work.

cgf

@ 2001-09-19 15:35   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-19 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Thank you, Chuck, for responding so quickly to this problem.
>
> I'm sorry that my recent cygwin/XP/cygheap "solution" essentially caused
> you some extra work.

Ahh, 'sokay.  Actually, Robert has been arguing against auto-image-base
for a long time now -- we even had a long, off-list thread about how
libtool should work w.r.t. image base.  I just didn't 'get it' until now.

Now that I 'get it' -- I figured I should stop "encouraging" other
people to use it by following my examples....

@ 2001-09-20 13:12 ` Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2001-09-20 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a question about the examples.  In the Makefile
(for c_and_c++, and c++ at least), there is a reference in
building the objs to the variable DLL_CFLAGS.  However,
this does not look like it ever gets set, nor does it appear to
have a value during make execution.

My question is, is this merely a holdover from some previous
versions that got dropped, but the comments never got
removed, or does this variable need to have a value,
and if so, under what conditions?

Thanks.

       [not found] <200109202013.f8KKDRiw000247@mail.ee.gatech.edu>
@ 2001-09-20 13:35 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-09-20 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Paulus; +Cc: cygwin

Mark Paulus wrote:

> I have a question about the examples.  In the Makefile
> (for c_and_c++, and c++ at least), there is a reference in
> building the objs to the variable DLL_CFLAGS.  However,
> this does not look like it ever gets set, nor does it appear to
> have a value during make execution.
>
> My question is, is this merely a holdover from some previous
> versions that got dropped, but the comments never got
> removed, or does this variable need to have a value,
> and if so, under what conditions?

Yes to  all.  It is a holdover from earlier, pre-auto-import versions of
dllhelpers, but I left it there (empty) to make the point that you do
NOT need special compile-time CFLAGS to build DLLs anymore.  They *used*
to be necessary, but no longer are.

--Chuck