* Re: Apache/PHP Problem:CLOSE_WAIT sockets
@ 2001-10-22  8:33 Alvin Ng
From: Alvin Ng @ 2001-10-22  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tolj; +Cc: cygwin

>First of all, which cygwin version are you running?

I'm running on Cygwin 1.3.3, I usually update it to the lastest version.

>Does that meen the php script runs forever and does not output
>anything?

Tested like this:
gets HTML page from Apache : OK( Port closes)
gets plain PHP page from Apache: OK( Port closes)
gets simple PHP script that outputs PGSQL data (script outputs as
expected): CLOSE_WAIT

  The script executes the pgClose(database); statement.

>How did you see about CLOSE_WAIT states in sockets?
I did a netstat and also used a tool called ActivePorts from Smartline to
monitor the connections(the tool reports the process that is currently using
the port)

I installed the non-cgywin Win32 Apache from Apache Group and the win32 PHP
from php.net. Seems like there is no problem in this case, even when PHP
script is talking to the Cygwin PGSQL.

Anymore information needed?

-Alvin

@ 2001-10-24  0:14 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2001-10-24  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alvin Ng; +Cc: cygwin

> Tested like this:
> gets HTML page from Apache : OK( Port closes)
> gets plain PHP page from Apache: OK( Port closes)
> gets simple PHP script that outputs PGSQL data (script outputs as
> expected): CLOSE_WAIT
>
>   The script executes the pgClose(database); statement.
>
> >How did you see about CLOSE_WAIT states in sockets?
> I did a netstat and also used a tool called ActivePorts from Smartline to
> monitor the connections(the tool reports the process that is currently using
> the port)
>
> I installed the non-cgywin Win32 Apache from Apache Group and the win32 PHP
> from php.net. Seems like there is no problem in this case, even when PHP
> script is talking to the Cygwin PGSQL.

so my suggestion that there is something wrong with socket
communication under Cygwin is more and more enlighted.

I have similar "problems" with Apache's keep-alive, where some process
stay in kell-alive state forever and then suddenly closes the socket.

Can someone from the Cygwin Core team please check this!!! Thanks.

Stipe

tolj@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Münsterstr. 248
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de

* Re: Apache/PHP Problem:CLOSE_WAIT sockets
@ 2001-10-24  7:54   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-10-24  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 09:15:00AM +0200, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>> Tested like this:
>> gets HTML page from Apache : OK( Port closes)
>> gets plain PHP page from Apache: OK( Port closes)
>> gets simple PHP script that outputs PGSQL data (script outputs as
>> expected): CLOSE_WAIT
>>
>>   The script executes the pgClose(database); statement.
>>
>> >How did you see about CLOSE_WAIT states in sockets?
>> I did a netstat and also used a tool called ActivePorts from Smartline to
>> monitor the connections(the tool reports the process that is currently using
>> the port)
>>
>> I installed the non-cgywin Win32 Apache from Apache Group and the win32 PHP
>> from php.net. Seems like there is no problem in this case, even when PHP
>> script is talking to the Cygwin PGSQL.
>
>so my suggestion that there is something wrong with socket
>communication under Cygwin is more and more enlighted.
>
>I have similar "problems" with Apache's keep-alive, where some process
>stay in kell-alive state forever and then suddenly closes the socket.
>
>Can someone from the Cygwin Core team please check this!!! Thanks.

I don't know how many people are willing to download apache, set it up,
and run it, to duplicate your problems.

So, you're welcome to keep asking for "the Cygwin Core team" to debug
this but I suspect that you'll have a long wait unless you can dilute
the problem into a simple test case.

Or, if you have a failing condition, you might want to attach the debugger
to it and poke around to see what is going on.  You will need to build
a debugging version of cygwin to get any useful info of course.

cgf

* Re: Apache/PHP Problem:CLOSE_WAIT sockets
@ 2001-10-24  9:55     ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2001-10-24  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I don't know how many people are willing to download apache, set it up,
> and run it, to duplicate your problems.
>
> So, you're welcome to keep asking for "the Cygwin Core team" to debug
> this but I suspect that you'll have a long wait unless you can dilute
> the problem into a simple test case.

the problem arises from Cygwin's socket handling in my view.

In simple words: if many TCP connections are served by a cygwin
process (like httpd) something misterious happens to the socket
implementation and it seems to get bogus.

> Or, if you have a failing condition, you might want to attach the debugger
> to it and poke around to see what is going on.  You will need to build
> a debugging version of cygwin to get any useful info of course.

I'm not in deep to cygwin internals to do this on my own, that's why I
kindly asked for help at the core developers.

@ 2001-10-24 10:24       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-10-24 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 06:54:36PM +0200, Stipe Tolj wrote:
>> I don't know how many people are willing to download apache, set it up,
>> and run it, to duplicate your problems.
>>
>> So, you're welcome to keep asking for "the Cygwin Core team" to debug
>> this but I suspect that you'll have a long wait unless you can dilute
>> the problem into a simple test case.
>
>the problem arises from Cygwin's socket handling in my view.

I didn't say that it wasn't cygwin's socket code.  I said that if you
can't distill it down to a test case that is simpler than "apache has a
problem" then it is probably not going to be fixed.

>In simple words: if many TCP connections are served by a cygwin
>process (like httpd) something misterious happens to the socket
>implementation and it seems to get bogus.

Sorry but that is not a description that helps track down the problem.

>> Or, if you have a failing condition, you might want to attach the debugger
>> to it and poke around to see what is going on.  You will need to build
>> a debugging version of cygwin to get any useful info of course.
>
>I'm not in deep to cygwin internals to do this on my own, that's why I
>kindly asked for help at the core developers.

I am clear on what you were asking for.

I thought it was unlikely that anyone who volunteers to work on cygwin
would want to install apache on their system and run it for hours to
attempt to duplicate your problem.  I'm sorry but that is a simple fact
of life.  I've given this answer to other people who had other types
of mysterious problems that required a substantial time investment to
track down.

Maybe Corinna or Egor will be interested in looking into this.  I don't
speak for them.  I was just trying to aquaint you with what I think the
is the current state of affairs since you keep asking for "core
developers" to help you with your mysterious problem.

I responded as a "core developer" and you have now indicated that you
weren't interested in following my suggestions.  So we're all clear on
what's happening with this core developer at least.

cgf

* Re: Apache/PHP Problem:CLOSE_WAIT sockets
@ 2001-10-24 23:52         ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2001-10-24 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I am clear on what you were asking for.
>
> I thought it was unlikely that anyone who volunteers to work on cygwin
> would want to install apache on their system and run it for hours to
> attempt to duplicate your problem.  I'm sorry but that is a simple fact
> of life.  I've given this answer to other people who had other types
> of mysterious problems that required a substantial time investment to
> track down.
>
> Maybe Corinna or Egor will be interested in looking into this.  I don't
> speak for them.  I was just trying to aquaint you with what I think the
> is the current state of affairs since you keep asking for "core
> developers" to help you with your mysterious problem.
>
> I responded as a "core developer" and you have now indicated that you
> weren't interested in following my suggestions.  So we're all clear on
> what's happening with this core developer at least.

Chris, I'll do as much as possible to track and distill the problem
down, so that it can be handed to the cygwin developers for review.

I consider this is what you're asking for?

Regards,

@ 2001-10-24  8:33 Alvin Ng
From: Alvin Ng @ 2001-10-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'll see if I have the time to build a debugging version of Apache. I'm kind
of doing this 4-8 hours a week so I may not have the resource to do so.

I'm not even sure where the error is coming from(PHP or Apache or Postgres).

I took the easy way out I guess :)

-Alvin

@ 2001-10-21  5:11 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2001-10-21  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alvin Ng; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-10-20  7:40 Alvin Ng
From: Alvin Ng @ 2001-10-20  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm using the Apache + PHP setup on Cygwin, which was self compiled. The
plain HTML stuff that apache serves out seem to be ok, but anything
involving PHP talking to PGSQL via TCP will run properly, but the port that
served the PHP page will have a CLOSE_WAIT state after that. After a while
of continuous operation the CLOSE_WAIT state ports stacks up.

Shutting down the Apache server also generates this in the logs:

----------
$ tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
[Sat Oct 20 22:14:51 2001] [warn] child process 1000 still did not exit,
sending
a SIGTERM
[Sat Oct 20 22:14:51 2001] [warn] child process 1136 still did not exit,
sending
a SIGTERM

[snip]----

Apache 1.3.22
PHP 4.0.6
Postgres(default Cygwin install)

Does anyone have the same problem running a setup like this under Cygwin? Or
should I stick to the windows installers? Please advise.

-Alvin