* Problems
@ 2001-11-07 10:32 Mais, Dale
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mais, Dale @ 2001-11-07 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine and while it
seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get is a fraction of a second
appearance of a DOS window that disappears. I cannot get beyond this
"flash". Any thoughts?

Thanks

I am not a computer guru and have forgotten what little I knew of DOS so
trying to understand the language of the guidance on your web page does me
little good, I just don't understand all the lingo.

Dale E. Mais, Ph.D.
Research Investigator
Endocrine Research
Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
10255 Science Center Dr.
San Diego, CA   92121

Phone:  (858) 550-7832
Fax:      (858) 550-7235
email:   dmais@ligand.com

* Re: Problems
@ 2001-11-07 10:36 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-07 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: DMais

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:32:39AM -0800, Mais, Dale wrote:
>I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine and while it
>seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get is a fraction of a second
>appearance of a DOS window that disappears. I cannot get beyond this
>"flash". Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks
>
>I am not a computer guru and have forgotten what little I knew of DOS so
>trying to understand the language of the guidance on your web page does me
>little good, I just don't understand all the lingo.

Then why are you even downloading this package?  Stick with Microsoft pointy
clicky tools.  This is a UNIX emulation environment.

If you don't have any ideas what that means then you don't need cygwin.

cgf

* Re: Problems
@ 2001-11-07 10:42 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-11-07 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mais, Dale, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Boy is this a FAQ!  Perhaps many people don't equate this kind of
behavior with the FAQ entry:

What if setup fails?
http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC15

However, this is exactly what happened.  Setup failed to install properly
on your system, either because you didn't install all packages as you're
supposed to or because of some issue not necessarily in your control.  See
this FAQ entry for suggestions in the latter case.  Make sure you try
*all* the options mentioned in the FAQ.  If one doesn't work, try the
others.  If you're still having a problem, you can contact the list again
with the details the FAQ suggests.

At 01:32 PM 11/7/2001, Mais, Dale wrote:

>I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine and while it
>seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get is a fraction of a second
>appearance of a DOS window that disappears. I cannot get beyond this
>"flash". Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks
>
>I am not a computer guru and have forgotten what little I knew of DOS so
>trying to understand the language of the guidance on your web page does me
>little good, I just don't understand all the lingo.
>
>Dale E. Mais, Ph.D.
>Research Investigator
>Endocrine Research
>Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
>10255 Science Center Dr.
>San Diego, CA   92121
>
>Phone:  (858) 550-7832
>Fax:      (858) 550-7235
>email:   dmais@ligand.com
>

>--

Larry

* Re: Problems
@ 2001-11-07 17:14 ` Paul G.
From: Paul G. @ 2001-11-07 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

On 7 Nov 2001 at 10:32, the Illustrious Mais, Dale wrote:

> I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine and while
> it seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get is a fraction of a
> second appearance of a DOS window that disappears. I cannot get beyond
> this "flash". Any thoughts?

	Lot of them.  Astrophysics was a major of mine in early college days
when a formal Computer Science curriculum had yet to be started at my
college.  Ended up majoring in Astrophysics while minoring in a
personal focus on Computer Science.

	At any rate, we need to establish what your assumptions currently are.

	Here are the basic Cygwin installation assumptions:

	You were wanting some sort of development environment to work in.
	You used setup.exe from the cygwin website to install Cygwin.
	You allowed install to add the cygwin icon to your desktop.
	You launched Cygwin using the desktop icon installed by the Cygwin
	setup utility.

	Now, which of the above assumptions are true?  I can deduce that you
installed Cygwin because you thought it would meet your basic needs
regardless of development environment.

	DOS has little to do with Cygwin development.  It only acts as an
elemental substrata of sorts which is specifically being used to
support the use of a "Unix like shell" within, amongst other things, a
Windows based operating system (platform).

	Metaphorically, Cygwin might be considered a nebula of sorts (and yes,
it can be quite nebulous sometimes ;-)).  The DOS shell is just one
element in the metaphoric nebulas' gaseous soup.

	Now some questions:

		Are you speaking of Windows 98 or Windows NT4 when you talk about the
behaviour you noted above?  (This is how I establish the basis of a
theory where Cygwin is concerned).

	From here the number of causes multiplies, so we need to know which OS
you are actually using.

	Thanks,

		Paul G.

> Thanks
>
> I am not a computer guru and have forgotten what little I knew of DOS so
> trying to understand the language of the guidance on your web page does
> me little good, I just don't understand all the lingo.
>
> Dale E. Mais, Ph.D.
> Research Investigator
> Endocrine Research
> Ligand Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
> 10255 Science Center Dr.
> San Diego, CA   92121
>
> Phone:  (858) 550-7832
> Fax:      (858) 550-7235
> email:   dmais@ligand.com
>

> --

* make
@ 2001-11-07 18:44   ` David
From: David @ 2001-11-07 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am somewhat new to cygwin ( have been using it for a few months) and am
currently assisting our developers.
I am setting up builds using the 1.3.2 version and I'm trying to find out
if make under cygwin can do parallel processing. I saw a note on the
3.77.1 version of make that parallel processing code had been worked on.

I've tried make -j 2 for a 2 processor machine but the cpu utilization is
still down at 3-6%.
Has the code for parallel processing been tested for NT ? How does one
verify that it is working ?
Thanks much.

* Re: make
@ 2001-11-07 21:33     ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-11-07 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, David

> I am somewhat new to cygwin ( have been using it for a few months) and am
> currently assisting our developers.
> I am setting up builds using the 1.3.2 version and I'm trying to find out
> if make under cygwin can do parallel processing. I saw a note on the
> 3.77.1 version of make that parallel processing code had been worked on.
>
> I've tried make -j 2 for a 2 processor machine but the cpu utilization is
> still down at 3-6%.
That is typical, if you have McAfee running in command script checking mode.
> Has the code for parallel processing been tested for NT ? How does one
> verify that it is working ?
By working, you mean tasks starting while other tasks are
executing?...Shorter over-all elapsed time, with multiple processors?  May
not happen if you're running McAfee.  Have you tried Task Manager or
Perfmon?

* Re: make
@ 2001-11-08  5:40       ` David
From: David @ 2001-11-08  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince, cygwin

We disable Mcafee for the builds as it adds to much overhead.
I am looking in Task Manager to start with to see the utilization.
I see no difference from using make -j x (where x is the number of
processors).and make without the -j switch.
By using make -j you can take advantage of parallel executions.
Please let me know if I'm invoking it incorrectly.

At 09:21 PM 11/7/2001 -0800, Tim Prince wrote:

> [...]

* Re: make
@ 2001-11-08  8:19         ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2001-11-08  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, David

Close enough.  x is the number of processes you want; on Windows it's good
not to exceed the number of processors.  It may not have been tested
extensively on NT lately, as most people (I think) use Win2K with Cygwin.
> We disable Mcafee for the builds as it adds to much overhead.
> I am looking in Task Manager to start with to see the utilization.
> I see no difference from using make -j x (where x is the number of
> processors).and make without the -j switch.
> By using make -j you can take advantage of parallel executions.
> Please let me know if I'm invoking it incorrectly.
>

> At 09:21 PM 11/7/2001 -0800, Tim Prince wrote:

* Re: Problems
@ 2002-10-23  9:51   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-10-23  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is suggested in http://cygwin.com/bugs.html .

>Supplying a sensible subject line will significantly increase the chance
>that your posting is actually read by people who can help you. Otherwise
>you'll just get a "because we're mean" response from CGF. ;-)

Nah, I reserve that response for a particular type of query.

cgf

* Re: Problems
@ 2002-10-23  2:07 ` Jesper Eskilson
From: Jesper Eskilson @ 2002-10-23  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Whiting; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

A friendly advice: a subject like "Problems" is completely useless; it'll
get ignored by everybody who (like me) just browse the subject lines for
interesting postings.

Supplying a sensible subject line will significantly increase the chance
that your posting is actually read by people who can help you. Otherwise
you'll just get a "because we're mean" response from CGF. ;-)

/Jesper
--
Jesper Eskilson
Virtutech

* RE: Problems
@ 2002-10-20 13:03 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-10-20 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Whiting; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Doug Whiting wrote:

> Thanks. No offense taken, though I actually had searched through the
> gcc/chmod stuff fairly carefully, and nothing suggested there had worked. I
> finally just turned OFF the ntsec stuff (CYGWIN=nontsec), and that fixed the
> problem!  It appears that there's a bug of some sort with either the new
> default setting or the ntsec functionality itself. Anyway, now chmod and gcc
> work fine, but I'm not sure how I should have guessed to go against the
> grain by turning off the feature that is claimed by all the emails to fix
> the bug :-(

Doug,

If you read all the relevant messages, you'll see that your /etc/passwd is
probably not up to date.  Try re-generating it with 'mkpasswd >
/etc/passwd' (having made a backup first, of course, and with all the
appropriate flags for a domain user).

> The emacs C-X C-c worked after adding the tty element, but I had to take out
> the space before and after '=' in the batch file.  That is
>    set CYGWIN = tty
> did not work, but
>    set CYGWIN=tty
> did work!  Anyway, thanks for that pointer, as it was not at all obvious
> from the (too many) matches to my search queries. Kinda seems like tty
> should be the default, but in any case I'm up and rolling now.

There are some problems with the 'tty' setting (I, in particular, don't
use it), but if it works for you, all the better.

> Thanks again.

Glad I could help,
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51

* RE: Problems
@ 2002-10-20 11:15 Doug Whiting

@ 2002-10-19 17:39 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2002-10-19 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Whiting; +Cc: cygwin

Doug,

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Doug Whiting wrote:

> I just installed Cygwin from the Internet, and things are very close to
> working fine. I have run quite a few things successfully, but there are
> three annoying problems, listed below, that I'm hoping have a simple
> solution. I looked in your email threads and couldn't find a solution that
> works for me.  FYI, I'm running Win2K Professional on a Toshiba Tecra 8200,
> with 20GB disk (8GB free) and 256M RAM.
>
> 1) The exe files produced by gcc (e.g., even "hello world") are not
> executable. I added set CYGWIN=ntsec in the startup batch file, but that
> made no difference. I'm an administrator on the system, so I have all
> rights.  When I use the Windows Explorer to set the security of the file
> a.exe to executable, it runs fine, but that's hard to put in a makefile
> :-(

Normally people are assumed to make a reasonable effort in searching the
archives, and it's understood that it's hard to phrase a query correctly.
However, in this case, searching for "gcc exe not executable" (in the
October archives) produced multiple relevant messages.  I refer you to
those.
FYI, ntsec is on by default in Cygwin-1.3.13+.

> 2) In trying to fix the above, I found that chmod doesn't work.
> I get the following error message, no matter what switches I try to give it
> (and I've tried a lot):
>         $ chmod a+x a.exe
>         chmod: changing permissions of `a.exe': Invalid argument
> Perhaps these two problems are related, but together they make life
> quite difficult. It seems almost like chmod is not complaining about the
> syntax, not the inability to set the attribute, but of course that may
> be reading too much into the error message.

Same problem as above.  FWIW, you could have searched for "chmod doesn't
work".

> 3) An apparently unrelated problem with Emacs: when I type C-x C-c to
> kill (exit) Emacs, the computer just beeps at me and does nothing. I
> have to do "M-x Kill Emacs", which is a real pain.

Again, the proper search query is "emacs Ctrl-C"...  As there are quite a

@ 2002-10-19 15:20 Doug Whiting
From: Doug Whiting @ 2002-10-19 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

@ 2001-11-07 11:41 szeil
From: szeil @ 2001-11-07 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: DMais

Dale Meis wrote:
> I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine
> and while it seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get
> is a fraction of a second appearance of a DOS window that
> disappears. I cannot get beyond this "flash". Any thoughts?

Open the properties of the CygWin icon you are clicking on to launch
CygWin. Clear the "Close on Exit" box. Now the DOS window will hang around
instead of disappearing in a flash and you will be able to read whatever
error message is really being written there. Odds are, that message will be
mentioned in the FAQ or in the mailing list archives.

SJZ

* RE: Problems
@ 2001-11-07 10:40 Mais, Dale
From: Mais, Dale @ 2001-11-07 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I need it to run a Spectrum synthesis program which is available for
astrophysics applications. I may not be a guru but I am willing to learn so
I can achieve my goals of running this application.

Dale

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 10:32:39AM -0800, Mais, Dale wrote:
>I have tried to install cygwin on both an NT and Win98 machine and while it
>seems to install OK, when I try to open all I get is a fraction of a second
>appearance of a DOS window that disappears. I cannot get beyond this
>"flash". Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks
>
>I am not a computer guru and have forgotten what little I knew of DOS so
>trying to understand the language of the guidance on your web page does me
>little good, I just don't understand all the lingo.

Then why are you even downloading this package?  Stick with Microsoft pointy
clicky tools.  This is a UNIX emulation environment.

If you don't have any ideas what that means then you don't need cygwin.

cgf

* PROBLEMs
@ 1997-07-01  9:00 Daniel Santos
From: Daniel Santos @ 1997-07-01  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gnu-win32@cygnus.com'

Hello,

	My name is Daniel Santos, I download a copy of win-gnu32 and i have
some problem
that i can't find answers in FAQ. I get a source code that I can compile
it in Linix and have no problem, and when a try to compile it on
wingnu32 I receive 3 erros message.

	A part of source is here:

void    signal_setup(void)
{
   struct itimerval itime;           			<======     35
   struct timeval interval;

   signal(SIGUSR1, reread_wizlists);
   signal(SIGUSR2, unrestrict_game);

   /* just to be on the safe side: */

   signal(SIGHUP, hupsig);
   signal(SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN);
   signal(SIGINT, hupsig);
   signal(SIGALRM, logsig);
   signal(SIGTERM, hupsig);
/*
   signal(SIGSEGV, badcrash);
   signal(SIGBUS, badcrash);
*/
   /* set up the deadlock-protection */

   interval.tv_sec = 900;    /* 15 minutes */
   interval.tv_usec = 0;
   itime.it_interval = interval;
   itime.it_value = interval;*/

   setitimer(ITIMER_VIRTUAL, &itime, 0);            <======  58
   signal(SIGVTALRM, checkpointing);	           <======  59
}

Messages Erros:

signals.c: In function `signal_setup':
signals.c:35: storage size of `itime' isn't known
signals.c:58: `ITIMER_VIRTUAL' undeclared (first use this function)
signals.c:58: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
signals.c:58: for each function it appears in.)
signals.c:59: `SIGVTALRM' undeclared (first use this function)
signals.c:59: warning: passing arg 2 of `signal' from incompatible
pointer type

	After that I coment this part of code and compile  in link step a
receive one more fatal
error message:

	comm.o(.text+0x3ce):comm.c: undefined reference to `srandom'
	act.social.o(.text+0x91c):act.social.c: undefined reference to `random'
	utility.o(.text+0x41):utility.c: undefined reference to `random'
	utility.o(.text+0x75):utility.c: undefined reference to `random'

-