* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-2.05a-1
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I haven't had a chance to update the readline package, yet. Corinna, did
you link against the existing readline, or did you use the internal
readline from the bash distribution?

--Chuck

@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` AJ Reins
From: AJ Reins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Don Sharp wrote:
> ... snip ...
[Ditto]

> I now get
>
> dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
>
> It seems that the new bash doesn't provide dircolors with a SHELL
> environment variable. Is this a dircolors or bash effect?

It is bash, and it is intentional. According to Changes:
u.  Bash only initializes FUNCNAME, GROUPS, and DIRSTACK as special
variables
    if they're not in the initial environment.

v.  If SECONDS appears in the initial environment with a valid integer
value,
    bash uses that as the starting value, as if an assignment had been
    performed.

w.  Bash no longer auto-exports HOME, PATH, SHELL, or TERM, even though
it
    gives them default values if they don't appear in the initial
environment.

x.  Bash no longer auto-exports HOSTNAME, HOSTTYPE, MACHTYPE, or OSTYPE,
    even if it assigns them default values.

y.  Bash no longer removes the export attribute from SSH_CLIENT or
SSH2_CLIENT
    if they appear in the initial environment.

z.  Bash no longer attempts to discover if it's being run by sshd in
order to
    run the startup files.  If the SSH_SOURCE_BASHRC is uncommented in
    config-top.h it will attempt to do so as previously, but that's
commented
    out in the distributed version.

--
AJ Reins - tbisp<AT>qwest.net -or- tbisp<AT>users.sourceforge.net
Warning label I would like to see on software:

* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-2.05a-1
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-2.05a-1
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I've updated the version of bash in cygwin/latest to 2.05a-1.
>
> This is the official version 2.05a as announced yesterday on
> the Cygwin mailing list by Chet Ramey.

... snip ...

I now get

dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given

It seems that the new bash doesn't provide dircolors with a SHELL
environment variable. Is this a dircolors or bash effect?

Cheers

Don Sharp

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 02:09:32PM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:
> The question is should bash be exporting the SHELL variable or not?

Since it's an intentional change I would say, no.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-2.05a-1
@ 2001-11-11  8:26     ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:27:02AM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:
> >

> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >
> > > I've updated the version of bash in cygwin/latest to 2.05a-1.
> > >
> > > This is the official version 2.05a as announced yesterday on
> > > the Cygwin mailing list by Chet Ramey.
> > >
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > I now get
> >
> > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> >
> > It seems that the new bash doesn't provide dircolors with a SHELL
> > environment variable. Is this a dircolors or bash effect?
>
> Honestly, I don't know.  I don't even understand the question.
> I'm maintaining bash but I'm using tcsh privatly so I need some
> more hints.  It would even be better you can track that down
> by yourself and then just blame the source of the problem :-)
>
> Corinna

If I revert to bash-2.05-8 it exports "SHELL=/bin/bash" and so dircolors
outputs the LS_COLORS=.... string. With the introduction of bash-2.05a
the SHELL variable is no longer exported, and so dircolors makes the
complaint. Only the bash.exe need be replaced for this to be
demonstrated.

From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:03:33AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>
>>I haven't had a chance to update the readline package, yet. Corinna, did
>>you link against the existing readline, or did you use the internal
>>readline from the bash distribution?
>>

> It's linked against the internal readline.  bash doesn't rely on any
> other dll besides cygwin1.dll.  Well, kernel32 and user32, of course...

Okay, thanks.

--Chuck

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 01:03:25PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 11:27:02AM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:
> >

> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > >
> > > I've updated the version of bash in cygwin/latest to 2.05a-1.
> > >
> > > This is the official version 2.05a as announced yesterday on
> > > the Cygwin mailing list by Chet Ramey.
> > >
> > ... snip ...
> >
> > I now get
> >
> > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> >
> > It seems that the new bash doesn't provide dircolors with a SHELL
> > environment variable. Is this a dircolors or bash effect?
>
> Honestly, I don't know.  I don't even understand the question.
> I'm maintaining bash but I'm using tcsh privatly so I need some
> more hints.  It would even be better you can track that down
> by yourself and then just blame the source of the problem :-)

AFAIK, bash sets $SHELL only if $SHELL isn't already set to
something and if the pw_shell field in the user's /etc/passwd
entry contains... something.  FWIW, that's not new in 2.05a!

Does that help?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: bash-2.05a-1
@ 2001-11-11  8:26       ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 01:03:25PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > ... snip ...
> > >
> > > I now get
> > >
> > > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> > > dircolors: no SHELL environment variable, and no shell type option given
> > >
> > > It seems that the new bash doesn't provide dircolors with a SHELL
> > > environment variable. Is this a dircolors or bash effect?
> >
> > Honestly, I don't know.  I don't even understand the question.
> > I'm maintaining bash but I'm using tcsh privatly so I need some
> > more hints.  It would even be better you can track that down
> > by yourself and then just blame the source of the problem :-)
>
> AFAIK, bash sets $SHELL only if $SHELL isn't already set to
> something and if the pw_shell field in the user's /etc/passwd
> entry contains... something.  FWIW, that's not new in 2.05a!
>
> Does that help?
>
> Corinna

My /etc/passwd has the pw_shell field set to /bin/bash.
The change of behaviour accompanied the change to bash-2.05a. Just felt
that the change may have been unintentional.

Cheers

Don Sharp

From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin