* setlinebuf
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

umm trying to compile a few things and got setlinebuf not defined a few
times.  I poked arround the web abit and found that its a BSD extension on
stdio (provided in glibc as well)- which is used in a few places.  It is
also incredibly easy to implement as its just a 1 line call to the standard
setvbuf - obviously its easy to change code that uses it - but having more
things compile out of the box is seems like a good idea...
Since its so trivial I would like to add it - however I was unsure as to
what the appropriate path to getting something added is when it will be in
the newlib directory.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction ... prehaps I should be
heading to a newlib mailinglist ?

Regards,
Gareth Pearce

* Re: setlinebuf
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gareth Pearce; +Cc: cygwin

Gareth Pearce wrote:

> Hi
>
> umm trying to compile a few things and got setlinebuf not defined a few
> times.  I poked arround the web abit and found that its a BSD extension on
> stdio (provided in glibc as well)- which is used in a few places.  It is
> also incredibly easy to implement as its just a 1 line call to the standard
> setvbuf - obviously its easy to change code that uses it - but having more
> things compile out of the box is seems like a good idea...
> Since its so trivial I would like to add it - however I was unsure as to
> what the appropriate path to getting something added is when it will be in
> the newlib directory.
>
> Anyone want to point me in the right direction ... prehaps I should be
> heading to a newlib mailinglist ?

Check this link :)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/stdio/setbuffer.c?rev=1.5&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

I think it's appropriate to name the file like this one since the newlib
implementation of stdio is borrowed from BSD. The put it in
newlib/libc/stdio.

And I think you'll have to post the patch to the newlib mailing list
too.

* Re: setlinebuf
@ 2002-05-07 15:00       ` Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2002-05-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-05-07  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 02:45:42PM +1000, Gareth Pearce wrote:
>I even submited a patch to newlib to get it put in... although it didnt even
>get a 'we need a copyright assignment' or 'looks like you stole that from
>something thats gpl'd ... try again' (which it wasnt I think - it was a cut
>paste edit job from newlib itself pretty much)
>it would be incredibly simple to add.  but given the no comment - I just
>couldnt be bothered trying again ... i just replace the call with the
>equivelent code when i find it in stuff i want to port.

New to free software?  Sometimes (many times) you have to be persistent
if you want to get your patch in.  I'm sure that the newlib developers
(which does not include me or Corinna) would respond to a polite ping.

Just as a reminder, we're all volunteers here.  No one gets performance
reviews based on responding to net submissions.  It's not a corporate
goal for anyone to scan mailing lists helping people.  People do it
because they want to help and so fit their efforts into their busy
schedules.  So it doesn't make any sense to be frustrated by
non-response to a patch, especially after one try.

If, however, one shot at getting a patch in is the limit of what you are
willing to do, then that's fine.  After all, you're a volunteer, too.

cgf

* Re: setlinebuf
@ 2002-05-06 21:45   ` Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2002-05-06 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I even submited a patch to newlib to get it put in... although it didnt even
get a 'we need a copyright assignment' or 'looks like you stole that from
something thats gpl'd ... try again' (which it wasnt I think - it was a cut
paste edit job from newlib itself pretty much)
it would be incredibly simple to add.  but given the no comment - I just
couldnt be bothered trying again ... i just replace the call with the
equivelent code when i find it in stuff i want to port.

Gareth - 4th link on google - just the latest in the history of setlinebuf.
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-05-06 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-05-06 15:17 Chris January
From: Chris January @ 2002-05-06 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The setlinebuf function is declared in stdio.h, but is not exported in
cygwin1.dll.

Chris

SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h>
int setlinebuf(FILE *stream);

DESCRIPTION
The setlinebuf() function lets the program control the buffer of a given
stream. This function may be used after the stream pointed to by stream is
associated with an open file, but before any other operation is performed on
the stream. Except that it returns no value, the setlinebuf() function is
equivalent to the setvbuf() function invoked with the values (char *)NULL
for buffer, _IONBF for mode and zero for size.

PARAMETERS
stream
Points to a FILE structure.

RETURN VALUES
If successful, setlinebuf() returns 0. On failure, it returns non-zero if an
invalid value is given for mode or if the request cannot be honored.

CONFORMANCE
4.4BSD.