* Re: few more questions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

> IIRC it is in the ESR document. Hmm.

Well, he says hackers don't like open-ended time sinks.  He also says
subject lines should be descriptive.  But I *don't* see where he says that
a single message should not contain multiple questions.  Wanna give me the
section reference where he says that?

--Chuck

* few more questions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 Gokhan Kisacikoglu
From: Gokhan Kisacikoglu @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "Gerrit P. Haase"

Hi Gerrit,

The last time I sent an email to the list, there were few people who got
offended by my simple questions, so I wanted to ask you few simple questions
in private as you seem to know what you are doing...

I'd appreciate if you could give me some hints about these, so here they
are;

1) I am running tcsh now and I am using Win98 (I know this might be the
origin of several problems, I will upgrade during the thanksgiving weekend);

The bindkey lists that my arrow keys are already mapped to list the history
and to navigate through the line;

% bindkey -a
Arrow key bindings
down           -> down-history
up             -> up-history
left           -> backward-char
right          -> forward-char

But it doesn't work. Do you know a solution for this, most of the other
bindings that used to use on my unix box works fine though.

2) The shell hangs if I do the following;

%env | grep PATH
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c:/cygdrive/c/CDROM

So, It would do the job properly, but I have to CTRL+C it after a long wait
which would kill the tcsh session as well, in other words it simply hangs
and it will never get back to the cursor.

or;

%ls | cat
./
../
.bash_history
.history
.tcshrc
bindings

and it hangs until I stop it with CTRL+C, and then CTLC+C terminates the
shell session as well. So, the problem is not specific to grep apparently.

I am guessing this is a very basic problem and it would be immediately
detected by others, so do you know a solution to this problem?

3) My Microsoft compiler is installed under;

set VISUALC = 'C:/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio/VC98'

However, none of the Makefile utilities (make, jam) were able
to process this path due to the space characters in it, I tried using the
single quotes etc, but I couldn't get it to work.

Then I decided to create a symbolic link to avoid the complicated
path situation, but I am getting the following strange results;

%ln -s "$VISUALC" visualc    # the link
%ls -l                       #check the link

lrwxrwxrwx    visualc -> c:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/

%ls visualc                 #this works fine

./   ATL/  CRT/ Include/  MFC/ READMEVC.HTM  Setup/     VC98@
../  Bin/  INSTALL.HTM  Lib/  MSCREATE.DIR  REDIST.TXT    Tutorial/

%cd visualc                #this fails!!!
visualc: No such file or directory.

%ls visualc/Bin/CL.EXE     #this works
visualc/Bin/CL.EXE*

%visualc/Bin/CL.EXE        #this fails again!!!
visualc/Bin/CL.EXE: Command not found.

So, do you know why this is happening or can you suggest me another way? is
the only solution to reinstall the compiler on a different path?!?

I would appreciate if you can answer even to few of these and do you think
it is worth sending this message to the cygwin list?

Thanks in advance,
-kisa

* Re: few more questions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 05:56:02PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>"Don't post multiple questions in a single message, unless they are
>intrinsically and tightly related.  By doing so, your subject line no
>longer specifically describes the contents of the message, unless you use
>generic and nondescriptive subject lines like "A few more questions" or
>"Multiple questions about Linux".  This reduces the likelihood that anyone
>will bother reading your message, much less answer it -- remember, hackers
>are generally allergic to what they percieve as open-ended time sinks.  It
>also reduces the likelihood that anyone other than you will benefit from
>the answers -- since the content is hidden behind a non-deswcriptive
>subject.  This again lowers the incentive for anyone to answer your query."

You should send this to him, Chuck.  It's a good observation.

cgf

* Re: few more questions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Gokhan Kisacikoglu

Hallo Gokhan,

Am 2001-11-18 um 23:40 schriebst du:

> 1) I am running tcsh now and I am using Win98 (I know this might be the
> But it doesn't work. Do you know a solution for this, most of the other
> bindings that used to use on my unix box works fine though.

Sorry, I don't use tcsh, I just know how to invoke it.

> 2) The shell hangs if I do the following;

Which shell?  I suggest to use rxvt instead of command.com.

> 3) My Microsoft compiler is installed under;

> set VISUALC = 'C:/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio/VC98'

> However, none of the Makefile utilities (make, jam) were able
> to process this path due to the space characters in it, I tried using the
> single quotes etc, but I couldn't get it to work.

Spaces in PATHS are a bad invention.

> So, do you know why this is happening or can you suggest me another way? is
> the only solution to reinstall the compiler on a different path?!?

Try to use mount.  Start with 'mount --help'.  There is lot of information
about mount in the user guide at cygwin.com, and also in the ML archives.

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
--
=^..^=

* how to get keyboard input in cygwin GUI app?
@ 2001-11-11  8:26         ` atom
From: atom @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi ,all:
     i compile gdb-5.0 with cgywin-2.78.2.3, i modefy the gdb's source to register SIGINT signal successfuly. and it can work in pure command.
    but if i run gdb with GUI,i find that it can't get keyboard input at all.then how to get keyboard input in cygwin GUI app?

     thanks

* Re: few more questions
@ 2001-11-11  8:26     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

IIRC it is in the ESR document. Hmm.

Rob
> On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 05:56:02PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> >"Don't post multiple questions in a single message, unless they are
> >intrinsically and tightly related.  By doing so, your subject line no
> >longer specifically describes the contents of the message, unless you use
> >generic and nondescriptive subject lines like "A few more questions" or
> >"Multiple questions about Linux".  This reduces the likelihood that
anyone
> >will bother reading your message, much less answer it -- remember,
hackers
> >are generally allergic to what they percieve as open-ended time sinks.
It
> >also reduces the likelihood that anyone other than you will benefit from
> >the answers -- since the content is hidden behind a non-deswcriptive
> >subject.  This again lowers the incentive for anyone to answer your
query."

> You should send this to him, Chuck.  It's a good observation.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: how to get keyboard input in cygwin GUI app?
@ 2001-11-11  8:26           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

atom wrote:

> hi ,all:
>      i compile gdb-5.0 with cgywin-2.78.2.3, i modefy the gdb's source to register SIGINT signal successfuly. and it can work in pure command.
>     but if i run gdb with GUI,i find that it can't get keyboard input at all.then how to get keyboard input in cygwin GUI app?
>
>      thanks

Is this some sort of a joke?  In the same thread where we're
discussing the "How To Ask Smart Questions"(*) document, atom
violates at least four of its rules without even trying?

1) replying to an existing thread with a totally unrelated subject
2) long, non-wrapped lines
3) demonstrate ignorance immediately -- "cygwin-2.78.2.3" ?
4) extremely poor grammar

(*) granted, the thread has drifted from it's "A few more questions"
subject line; somebody (probably me) should've changed the subject
line along the way, but still...

--Chuck

From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-11-11  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gokhan Kisacikoglu; +Cc: "Gerrit P. Haase"

Kisa,

You really should be more careful.  Gerrit's private email address is not
"cygwin@cygwin.com".  He has set his reply-to address to the list, because
he wants ALL cygwin related communication -- even that directed at him --
to go thru the list.

 > I would appreciate if you can answer even to few of these and do you
 > think it is worth sending this message to the cygwin list?

Too late. :-)

You need to read this:

specifically, this part:

 > Any question that's good enough to be asked of one developer will also
 > be of value to the whole group. Contrariwise, if you think that your
 > question is too dumb for a mailing list, it's not an excuse to harass
 > individual developers.

Ya know, I just rescanned ESR's smart-questions document, and he left out
one thing:

@ 2001-12-28  7:02         ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-12-28  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Just cleaning up my mailbox, found this unansewered...

I took the single question pre mail as a corollary to
"Use meaningful, specific subject headers". If you have two questions(*)
then a meaningful specific subject header becomes much less likely.

(*) Questions in the sense of a group of tightly bound statements and
requests, not in the sense of a single sentence with a '?' tacked on the
end.

Rob

===
> Well, he says hackers don't like open-ended time sinks.  He also says
> subject lines should be descriptive.  But I *don't* see where he says
that
> a single message should not contain multiple questions.  Wanna give me
the
> section reference where he says that?
>
> --Chuck

* Re: few more questions
@ 2001-12-28  7:23           ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-12-28  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Answering my own comment...

Digging back into the thread for completeness, Chris suggested you send
your one-question per email assertion to ESR for inclusion. I concur,
because while it's an obvious corollary to a hacker, it's likely to be
non obvious to those who will gain the most benefit from the essay in
the first place.

Rob
===