* ftp can't set uid
@ 2001-12-07  8:22 Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2001-12-07  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

I found the following message during a google search, but no resolution.
www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg01199.html
Today I stopped inetd, removed as service, reinstalled inetutils,
installed as service but am still seeing all the same things Gerrit
reported. Cygwin bang up to date with everything.

Any joy making ftp work anyone?

Cheers

Don Sharp

* Re: ftp can't set uid
@ 2001-12-07  8:28 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-12-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnuwin32

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 04:14:08PM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:
> I found the following message during a google search, but no resolution.
> www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg01199.html
> Today I stopped inetd, removed as service, reinstalled inetutils,
> installed as service but am still seeing all the same things Gerrit
> reported. Cygwin bang up to date with everything.
>
> Any joy making ftp work anyone?

Yep.  For months now.  Did you check /etc/passwd and /etc/group?
And the permissions?  /etc and it's files readable?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: ftp can't set uid
@ 2001-12-07 10:53   ` Don Sharp
From: Don Sharp @ 2001-12-07 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corinna Vinschen

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 04:14:08PM +0000, Don Sharp wrote:
> > I found the following message during a google search, but no resolution.
> > www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-05/msg01199.html
> > Today I stopped inetd, removed as service, reinstalled inetutils,
> > installed as service but am still seeing all the same things Gerrit
> > reported. Cygwin bang up to date with everything.
> >
> > Any joy making ftp work anyone?
>
> Yep.  For months now.  Did you check /etc/passwd and /etc/group?
> And the permissions?  /etc and it's files readable?

Thanks Corinna. I had not remade my /etc/passwd and /etc/group after the
reinstall as I thought the original ones would do. Obviously not!
Remaking them with
mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
mkpasswd -l > /etc/group

allowed me ftp access. I removed the guest entry from passwd as per a
suggestion in the list (from Egor Duda I believe) to tighten the ftp
security.

Cheers

Don Sharp