* system details on my little ncurses struggles
@ 2002-01-06 14:48 prapp
From: prapp @ 2002-01-06 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Follow-up to my problems
(linking to ncurses failing)
with system info & how I reinstalled ncurses

Includes (#1) system info, (#2) how I reinstalled ncurses again, (#3)
linker errors
  (#4) note on gdb crashing with statically linked version (same problem I
suspect)

#1) Relevant System Info (I hope)
***********

binutils            20011002-1
cygwin              1.3.6-6
libncurses5         5.2-1
libncurses6         5.2-2
ncurses             5.2-7

   226k 2001/04/25 ...\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                   "cygncurses5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 1:17

   201k 2001/09/30 ...\cygwin\bin\cygncurses6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                   "cygncurses6.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/9/29 22:42

#2) How I Reinstalled ncurses
*************************

re:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00124.html

(The page doesn't really say what to do if you think your
setup is broken, so I'm extrapolating that the safest thing
is to remove all affected packages & reinstall as per
the page. So I just now repeated what I did before,
documenting it this time, partly lest I made any mistake
last time, partly so I submit an explanation here.)

-1) I removed libncurses5 (5.2-1), libncurses6 (5.2-2),
     & ncurses (5.2-7) & terminfo (5.2-1)

-2) I installed only ncurses (5.2-7)

-3) I installed libncurses (5.2-1), libncurses 6 (5.2-2),
      and terminfo (5.2-1).

I still don't have /usr/include/ncurses/ncurses_dll.h,
(although maybe this is ok ?)
and my link still fails.

So I'm repeating my mistake, or I still have the configuration
problem, or ... ?

(PS: We can actually build successfully if we use
   -DBROKEN_LINKER -static
so perhaps this suggests my bintools is out-of-date ?)

#3) Linker Error
********************

Oh, and sorry that I omitted the following (that was
another mistake I made).
My "failing" linker error looks like so:

... undefined reference to `acs_map'
... undefined reference to `acs_map'
... undefined reference to `acs_map'
... undefined reference to `acs_map'
... undefined reference to `acs_map'
... more undefined references to `acs_map' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [llines] Error 1

#4) gdb problem (looks suspiciously like the same problem)
*****************************

PS:
If I build with -static and -DBROKEN_LINKER
I can run ok, unless I try to run thru gdb, in
which case I segfault. Stepping thru, I find the
segfault is at the first reference to COLS.
I #defined COLS & LINES as a temporary fix to see if
I could then use gdb, but then it segfaults at the
first reference to acs_map. At that point I decided
I might be on the wrong road :)

* Re: system details on my little ncurses struggles
@ 2002-01-06 15:11 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-06 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prapp; +Cc: cygwin

Please refrain from continually changing the subject line of your
messages, unless there is a real need to start a NEW thread.  So far,
all of your messages are all about the same general thing -- problems
linking to ncurses -- but since you keep changing the subject line it
screws up threading.  Don't do that.

prapp wrote:

> Follow-up to my problems
> (linking to ncurses failing)
> with system info & how I reinstalled ncurses
>
> Includes (#1) system info, (#2) how I reinstalled ncurses again, (#3)
> linker errors
>  (#4) note on gdb crashing with statically linked version (same problem
> I suspect)
>
> #1) Relevant System Info (I hope)
> ***********
>
> binutils            20011002-1
> cygwin              1.3.6-6
> libncurses5         5.2-1
> libncurses6         5.2-2
> ncurses             5.2-7
>

>   226k 2001/04/25 ...\cygwin\bin\cygncurses5.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                   "cygncurses5.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/4/25 1:17
>
>   201k 2001/09/30 ...\cygwin\bin\cygncurses6.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                   "cygncurses6.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/9/29 22:42
>

> #2) How I Reinstalled ncurses
> *************************
>
> re:
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00124.html
>
> (The page doesn't really say what to do if you think your
> setup is broken, so I'm extrapolating that the safest thing
> is to remove all affected packages & reinstall as per
> the page. So I just now repeated what I did before,
> documenting it this time, partly lest I made any mistake
> last time, partly so I submit an explanation here.)
>

> -1) I removed libncurses5 (5.2-1), libncurses6 (5.2-2),
>     & ncurses (5.2-7) & terminfo (5.2-1)
>
> -2) I installed only ncurses (5.2-7)
>
> -3) I installed libncurses (5.2-1), libncurses 6 (5.2-2),
>      and terminfo (5.2-1).
>
> I still don't have /usr/include/ncurses/ncurses_dll.h,
> (although maybe this is ok ?)

Yes, that is okay.  Everything is fine.  ncurses_dll.h is no longer
used/needed, as of 5.2-7.

> and my link still fails.
>
> So I'm repeating my mistake, or I still have the configuration
> problem, or ... ?
>

> (PS: We can actually build successfully if we use
>   -DBROKEN_LINKER -static
> so perhaps this suggests my bintools is out-of-date ?)

Sorry -- this is a known problem with ncurses.  I thought you knew about
that, since you had searched the archives.  The current version of
ncurses, 5.2-7, requires that you -DBROKEN_LINKER for both -static and
dynamic builds.  Try compiling with -DBROKEN_LINKER, but link
dynamically (without -static)

> #3) Linker Error
> ********************
>
> Oh, and sorry that I omitted the following (that was
> another mistake I made).
> My "failing" linker error looks like so:
>
> ... undefined reference to `acs_map'
> ... undefined reference to `acs_map'
> ... undefined reference to `acs_map'
> ... undefined reference to `acs_map'
> ... undefined reference to `acs_map'
> ... more undefined references to `acs_map' follow
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [llines] Error 1

A-ha!  This is the BROKEN_LINKER problem.

> #4) gdb problem (looks suspiciously like the same problem)
> *****************************
>
> PS:
> If I build with -static and -DBROKEN_LINKER
> I can run ok, unless I try to run thru gdb, in
> which case I segfault. Stepping thru, I find the
> segfault is at the first reference to COLS.
> I #defined COLS & LINES as a temporary fix to see if
> I could then use gdb, but then it segfaults at the
> first reference to acs_map. At that point I decided
> I might be on the wrong road :)

Try to link dynamically with -DBROKEN_LINKER first.  Then we can
investigate wacky COLS gdb problems.

--Chuck

* Re: system details on my little ncurses struggles
@ 2002-01-06 15:52   ` prapp
From: prapp @ 2002-01-06 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ok, I'm leaving the subject line as is, but changing the headers so this goes
to the list instead of you personally (the from was you and there was no
Reply-To).
Hopefully this is the correct thing to do.

<snip>
 >searched the archives.  The current version of ncurses, 5.2-7, requires
 >that you -DBROKEN_LINKER for both -static and dynamic builds.  Try
 >compiling with -DBROKEN_LINKER, but link dynamically (without -static)

<snip>

 >A-ha!  This is the BROKEN_LINKER problem.

<snip>

 >Try to link dynamically with -DBROKEN_LINKER first.  Then we can
 >investigate wacky COLS gdb problems.

Yes!

If I define BROKEN_LINKER, I can compile & then successfully link either way
(with or without -static).

I find it still crashes under gdb if linked without -static
(segfault at the first reference to LINES),
but if both compiled with BROKEN_LINKER and linked with -static,
then it runs under gdb without segfaulting.

Thanks much!