* linking problem
@ 2002-01-04  4:50 Guenther Sohler
From: Guenther Sohler @ 2002-01-04  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo Group,

I downloaded the qt-2.3 library for windows. these have visual studio 6.0
library format., and i want to link
the libraries to my object files to generate an exe file.
These libraries are found by the linker, they are accepted - the format is
recognized, but it does not resolve the linking errors. There are still the
unresolved references from my application to qt functions.

Does anybody of you has a clue, whats going on ?

Guenther Sohler

NewLogic Technologies AG
Millennium Park 6
A-6890 Lustenau
                                           Phone: +43-5577-62000-507
E-Mail: guenther.sohler@newlogic.com       Fax:   +43-5577-62000-988

* Re: linking problem
@ 2002-01-07  5:37 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-01-07  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guenther Sohler; +Cc: cygwin

You won't be able to do this (at least ATM). MSVC and gcc use different
ways to describe the C++ symbols.

Guenther Sohler wrote:

> Hallo Group,
>
> I downloaded the qt-2.3 library for windows. these have visual studio 6.0
> library format., and i want to link
> the libraries to my object files to generate an exe file.
> These libraries are found by the linker, they are accepted - the format is
> recognized, but it does not resolve the linking errors. There are still the
> unresolved references from my application to qt functions.
>
> Does anybody of you has a clue, whats going on ?

* Re: Linking problem
@ 2004-11-26 18:45 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-11-26 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 向阳 韩, cygwin

At 02:14 AM 11/26/2004, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>  I use RegisterDeviceNotification Win32 API in my
>program. While compiling under cygwin, linker reports
>that cannot find _RegisterDeviceNotification symbol.
>And I searched and found that
>RegisterDeviceNotification's text is contained in
>libuser32.a, but its symbol is appended @12, what's
>this?
>  Please help me, thanks!

Welcome to Windows.  This is not a Cygwin specific issue so you should
consult further with a Windows list forum if you have further questions
on this issue.  For now, I'll point you to a couple of links on the MSDN
that should help you get a better understanding of what's going on:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/_core_adjusting_naming_conventions.asp>

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/html/_core_adjusting_naming_conventions.asp>

If all else fails and you just need to get something working without any
understanding, you can try adding the 'ld' flag '--enable-stdcall-fixup'.
But really, you should read the above so you understand what you're missing
and what you need first.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Linking problem
@ 2004-11-26  7:20 向阳 韩
From: 向阳 韩 @ 2004-11-26  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb2312, Size: 967 bytes --]

Dear All,

  I use RegisterDeviceNotification Win32 API in my
program. While compiling under cygwin, linker reports
that cannot find _RegisterDeviceNotification symbol.
And I searched and found that
RegisterDeviceNotification's text is contained in
libuser32.a, but its symbol is appended @12, what's
this?
  Please help me, thanks!

BR,
Speer Han

150ÍòÇúMP3·è¿ñËÑ£¬´øÄú´³ÈëÒôÀÖµîÌÃ
http://music.yisou.com/
ÃÀÅ®Ã÷ÐÇÓ¦Óо¡ÓУ¬ËѱéÃÀͼ¡¢ÑÞͼºÍ¿áͼ
http://image.yisou.com
1G¾ÍÊÇ1000Õ×£¬ÑÅ»¢µçÓÊ×ÔÖúÀ©ÈÝ£¡
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/

* RE: Linking Problem
@ 2001-08-24 15:10 Heribert Dahms
From: Heribert Dahms @ 2001-08-24 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Krishna, Buska (IE10)', cygwin

Hi Krishna,

I know nothing about the Ada parameter passing convention,
but your problem doesn't look cygwin specific to me.
Ada obviously expects passing a pointer to your structure (by reference),
while you are passing the structure (of three 4-byte fields) directly (by
value).

Bye, Heribert (heribert_dahms@icon-gmbh.de)

* Linking Problem
@ 2001-08-23 22:06 Krishna, Buska (IE10)
From: Krishna, Buska (IE10) @ 2001-08-23 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-11-27  7:11 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-11-27  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reuben Thomas; +Cc: cygwin users

--- Reuben Thomas <rrt1001@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Here's the deal, you're addressing uninitialized pointers.  The addresses
> > you're addressing are changed by the mear moving of objects so that in one
> case
> > your addressing memory outside of the allocated memory for the process and
> in
> > the other case your addressing memory within the allocated memory for the
> > process.  You may even find that executing the "program that works" may
> give
> > SIGSEGV if started by gdb or even strace.  Often a program that SIGSEGV's
> will
> > not do so when started with gdb or strace.
>
> Is this really true? The executable isn't even getting as far as
> MainCRTStartup before crashing...

Please, also CC the list, I can't know everything and if I'm wrong someone
we'll correct me.  AFAI've experienced, it is true, YMMV.  As for not getting
to MainCRTStartup, the references must be in one of the DLL's that's loaded
before MainCRTStartup is executed.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: Linking problem
@ 2000-11-26 17:53 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-11-26 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reuben Thomas, cygwin

@ 2000-11-24  5:25 ` Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2000-11-24  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Reuben Thomas wrote:

[snip]
> The first binary (exc3.exe) doesn't work, and crashes with the infamous
>
> Application Error
> The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to
> terminate the application
[snip]
> Surely the order in which the directories holding the import libraries were
> created shouldn't affect the binaries created by the linker?!

Some more digging reveals that (AFAICS) the output of ld -verbose for the
two binaries is identical. What is not identical is the order of the DLLs
written in to the executables. I've looked at the source for ld and the bfd
library, but I'm rather overwhelmed by it. Can anyone tell me where the
names of the DLLs are being written into the executable?

(Hmm...perhaps I should take this to the binutils list...)

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/ | violence, n.  bravery for cowards

* Linking problem
@ 2000-11-23  4:20 Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2000-11-23  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a bunch of DLLs which I'm linking executables against (as it happens,
the libraries for the Glasgow Haskell Compiler (www.haskell.org/ghc/), of
which I'm a developer).

My problem is as follows: I have a hello-worldy sort of program. I have two
identical copies of the (Haskell) import libraries I want to link against,
in different directory structures. The strange thing is that though the
libraries are identical, and though the collect2 command-lines issued to
link the binaries are identical (up to directory names; the order is the
same), the resulting binaries have different cygcheck outputs:

[11:18:53 tests]$ cygcheck exc3.exe
Found: .\exc3.exe
.\exc3.exe
  C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
    C:\WINNT\System32\NTDLL.DLL
  C:\WINNT\System32\crtdll.dll
  C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSlang.dll
    C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSstd_cbits.dll
      C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSrts.dll
        C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSstd.dll
          C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\gmp.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\WSOCK32.DLL
        C:\WINNT\System32\WS2_32.DLL
          C:\WINNT\System32\MSVCRT.DLL
          C:\WINNT\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
            C:\WINNT\System32\RPCRT4.DLL
          C:\WINNT\System32\WS2HELP.DLL
    C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSlang_cbits.dll

Use -h to see help about each section
[11:58:27 tests]$ cygcheck except.exe
Found: .\except.exe
.\except.exe
  C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSstd.dll
    C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\gmp.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\crtdll.dll
        C:\WINNT\System32\KERNEL32.dll
          C:\WINNT\System32\NTDLL.DLL
    C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSrts.dll
    C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSstd_cbits.dll
      C:\WINNT\System32\WSOCK32.DLL
        C:\WINNT\System32\WS2_32.DLL
          C:\WINNT\System32\MSVCRT.DLL
          C:\WINNT\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
            C:\WINNT\System32\RPCRT4.DLL
          C:\WINNT\System32\WS2HELP.DLL
  C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSlang.dll
    C:\ghc\ghc-4.08.1\bin\HSlang_cbits.dll

Use -h to see help about each section

(The DLLs starting with HS are the Haskell libraries.)

The first binary (exc3.exe) doesn't work, and crashes with the infamous

Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to
terminate the application

message in a Windows pop-up message box.

The second version (except.exe) runs correctly, producing "hi".

If I run exc3.exe in gdb (gdb --nw exc3.exe, then run) I get three SIGSEGVs,
before the error "Program exited with code 0200", then the rather bizarre
"You can't do that without a process to debug."

The only difference between the two sets of libraries used is the order in
which the directories holding them were created. If I create a third set of
directories in the same order as those used to link except.exe, and copy the
import libraries into them, everything works.

As far as I can discover, the error I'm getting means that the DLLs aren't
initialising properly. The Haskell library DLLs don't provide DllMain, so
they use the default Cygwin version.

Surely the order in which the directories holding the import libraries were
created shouldn't affect the binaries created by the linker?!

I'm using Cygwin 1.1.5 on Win2K SP1; the output of cygcheck -s follows:

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Thu Nov 23 12:14:53 2000

WinNT Ver 5.0 build 2195

Path:	/usr/bin
	/usr/local/bin
	/WINNT/system32
	/WINNT
	/WINNT/system32/WBEM
	/usr/bin
	/usr/local/bin
	/ghc/ghc-4.08.1/bin
	/happy/happy-1.8/bin
	/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/Tools/WinNT
	/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/MSDev98/Bin
	/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/Common/Tools
	/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/bin
	/texmf/miktex/bin
	/gstools/gs5.03
	/gstools/gsview
	/jade

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

PWD = `/TEMP/tests'
CYGWIN32 = `tty'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
HOME = `/Winnt/Profiles/v-reubth'

Use `-r' to scan registry

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  NTFS    3796Mb  84% CP CS UN PA FC
d:  hd  NTFS     337Mb  61% CP CS UN PA FC     Local Disk
e:  cd           N/A    N/A
f:  fd           N/A    N/A

C:\bin  /usr/bin  user    textmode
C:\lib  /usr/lib  user    textmode
\\.\a:  /dev/fd0  user    textmode
C:    /        user    textmode

Found: C:\bin\bash.exe
Found: \bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\bin\cat.exe
Found: \bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\bin\cpp.exe
Found: \bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\bin\find.exe
Found: \bin\find.exe
Found: C:\bin\gcc.exe
Found: \bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\bin\gdb.exe
Found: \bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\bin\ld.exe
Found: \bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\bin\ls.exe
Found: \bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\bin\make.exe
Found: \bin\make.exe
Found: C:\bin\sh.exe
Found: \bin\sh.exe

   18k 2000/10/23 C:\bin\cyggdbm.dll
   83k 2000/06/11 C:\bin\cygitcl30.dll
   35k 2000/06/11 C:\bin\cygitk30.dll
   45k 2000/10/22 C:\bin\cygjbig1.dll
  119k 2000/10/23 C:\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll
  162k 2000/10/23 C:\bin\cygpng2.dll
  402k 2000/06/11 C:\bin\cygtcl80.dll
    5k 2000/06/11 C:\bin\cygtclpip80.dll
   10k 2000/06/11 C:\bin\cygtclreg80.dll
  243k 2000/10/23 C:\bin\cygtiff3.dll
  639k 2000/06/11 C:\bin\cygtk80.dll
   49k 2000/10/23 C:\bin\cygz.dll
  609k 2000/11/11 C:\bin\cygwin1.dll
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1001
        dll minor: 5
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 30
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix:
        build date: Sat Nov 11 01:49:33 EST 2000
        shared id: cygwin1S3

   18k 2000/10/23 \bin\cyggdbm.dll
   83k 2000/06/11 \bin\cygitcl30.dll
   35k 2000/06/11 \bin\cygitk30.dll
   45k 2000/10/22 \bin\cygjbig1.dll
  119k 2000/10/23 \bin\cygjpeg6b.dll
  162k 2000/10/23 \bin\cygpng2.dll
  402k 2000/06/11 \bin\cygtcl80.dll
    5k 2000/06/11 \bin\cygtclpip80.dll
   10k 2000/06/11 \bin\cygtclreg80.dll
  243k 2000/10/23 \bin\cygtiff3.dll
  639k 2000/06/11 \bin\cygtk80.dll
   49k 2000/10/23 \bin\cygz.dll
  609k 2000/11/11 \bin\cygwin1.dll

@ 1998-09-18 22:21 Frankie Ramos
From: Frankie Ramos @ 1998-09-18 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Hi.  I'm a newbie to Cygwin32.  Have the stuff running ok and decided to compile the MAPMAKER/HOMOZ package for gene mapping for a friend.  Most of the source compiles ok, but when the final linking starts I get the following error code:

gcc -ansi -g ./src/hommain.o ./src/fileio.o ./src/pslib.o ./src/generate.o ./src
/compute.o ./src/cmds.o ./src/pedprep.o  lib.o -lm -o homoz
/d/Cygnus/b19/H-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/bin/ld.exe: lib.o: bad reloc address
 0x94 in section `.text'

If anyone has any hints as to what this means, how  I could fixit or where to go read stuff that will help me with the problem I would be more than interested in knowing.

I did a search in the mailing list but couldn't find anything that might help.

Thanks in advance.

-----
-