* [Q]Windows PATH is not working..
@ 2002-01-09  0:47 S.B.(SangBum) LEE
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: S.B.(SangBum) LEE @ 2002-01-09  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi. cygwiners..

I have installed cygwin(DLL version: 1.3.6) on Win 2K & met the following problem.

leesb@leesb-kr ~
$ which notepad
/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad

leesb@leesb-kr ~
$ cygpath -w /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad
c:\WINNT\system32\notepad

leesb@leesb-kr ~
$ c:\WINNT\system32\notepad
bash: c:WINNTsystem32notepad: command not found

leesb@leesb-kr ~
$ c:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe
bash: c:WINNTsystem32notepad.exe: command not found

leesb@leesb-kr ~
$ /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad <-- in this case, it's working fine.

What should I look at to fix this? Any ideas?

Please reply all because I'm not a subscriber. Thanks.

* Re: [Q]Windows PATH is not working..
@ 2002-01-09  1:19 ` Pavel Tsekov
       [not found]   ` <3C3C12BB.58996DB0@oracle.com>
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-01-09  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.B.(SangBum) LEE; +Cc: cygwin

S.B.(SangBum) LEE wrote:

> Hi. cygwiners..
>
> I have installed cygwin(DLL version: 1.3.6) on Win 2K & met the following problem.
>

> leesb@leesb-kr ~
> $ which notepad
> /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad
>
> leesb@leesb-kr ~
> $ cygpath -w /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad
> c:\WINNT\system32\notepad
>
> leesb@leesb-kr ~
> $ c:\WINNT\system32\notepad
> bash: c:WINNTsystem32notepad: command not found
>
> leesb@leesb-kr ~
> $ c:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe
> bash: c:WINNTsystem32notepad.exe: command not found

The backslashes in you command line have to be escaped i.e.
instead of typing just '\' you have to type '\\'. This is
because the shell, I assume you're using bash, threats the
'\' character in a special fashion.

Maybe you have to read the FAQ and other docu available at
cygwin.com. Just a friendly advise :)

> leesb@leesb-kr ~
> $ /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad <-- in this case, it's working fine.

Yep - this is a absolute POSIX path, so no problems with it.

@ 2002-01-09  2:06     ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-01-09  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.B.(SangBum) LEE; +Cc: cygwin

Please, stick to posting to the list - I and many others
read it.

@ 2002-01-09 17:00       ` S.B.(SangBum) LEE
From: S.B.(SangBum) LEE @ 2002-01-09 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Tsekov; +Cc: cygwin

Is there anybody doing OK with Windows path? Cygwin documentation says:

Cygwin supports both Win32- and POSIX-style paths, where directory delimiters may be either forward or back slashes. UNC

pathnames (starting with two slashes and a network name) are also supported.

I have a collegue who has no problem with doing as below. However I can't find any of differences regarding installation

between me & him. That's why I raised this question.

Please let me know if you have anything you have in mind.. I have to develop a program using Windows path.

--
Thanks & Regards.

S.B.(Sangbum) Lee
Support Analyst
ORACLE KOREA
+82.2.2194.8048(Office)
+82.11.9992.0529(Mobile)

* Re: [Q]Windows PATH is not working..
@ 2002-01-09 17:12 ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-01-09 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: S.B.(SangBum) LEE, cygwin

S.B.,

Nothing you report indicates malfunction or misbehavior, hence you need not
attempt to fix anything.

Note that since your PATH is set so that "which" (or the BASH built-in
"type") successfully locate the "notepad" executable, all you need to do to
run that program is type its simple name (no path syntax, no suffix).

Work with the system and let it work for you.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

@ 2002-01-10 21:42 ` Jonathan Simms
From: Jonathan Simms @ 2002-01-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'S.B.(SangBum) LEE', cygwin

Hi SB,

I'm kinda new to this too...here's what i think:

>>leesb@leesb-kr ~
>>$ which notepad
>>/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad

any time you access the filesystem *outside* of the cygwin install
folder (and *nix-esque file structure), cygwin uses the above format

C:\foo\bar.txt  =  /cygdrive/c/foo/bar.txt

>>leesb@leesb-kr ~
>>$ cygpath -w /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad
>>c:\WINNT\system32\notepad

>>leesb@leesb-kr ~
>>$ c:\WINNT\system32\notepad
>>bash: c:WINNTsystem32notepad: command not found

>>leesb@leesb-kr ~
>>$ c:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe
>>bash: c:WINNTsystem32notepad.exe: command not found

bash interprets the '\' character as an escape character. If you have a
really long command for the shell, you can use the '\' to tell the shell
that when you press enter, you aren't trying to execute the command,
just get a little more room to type.

such as:

Jonathan@embassy.com
$ rsync --archive --recursive --group --owner --permissions \ [*hit
enter*]

[you get a greater-than '>' on the left and keep typing]

>--exclude-file=exclusions /etc/foo /bkup/bar

and at the end, when you hit 'enter' it runs both lines as if they were
one really long line.

Cygwin also uses the '\' to handle spaces in filenames:

C:\My Documents\My Music\The Allman Brothers Band\Mountain Jam.mp3 ==>

/cygdrive/c/My\ Documents/My\ Music/The\ Allman\ Brothers\
Band/Mountain\ Jam.mp3

>>leesb@leesb-kr ~
>>$ /cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32/notepad <-- in this case, it's working
fine.

this worked because you used the format that cywin understands :-)

>>What should I look at to fix this? Any ideas?

>>Please reply all because I'm not a subscriber. Thanks.

try "A Practical Guide to Linux" by Mark G. Sobell. It's an excellent,
thorough, and easily accesible reference. It's got a great section on
the bash shell, and gets really into scripting, etc.

Good Luck!
-Jonathan

* Re: [Q]Windows PATH is not working..
@ 2002-01-10  2:28 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-01-10  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Dautrevaux; +Cc: 'S.B.(SangBum) LEE', cygwin

Heyho :)

Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:

Well, I felt the same way - I thought I should
investigate this but not until the weekend. I
hoped that someone will shed some light in the
meantime :)

@ 2002-01-10  2:13 Bernard Dautrevaux
From: Bernard Dautrevaux @ 2002-01-10  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Is there anybody doing OK with Windows path? Cygwin
> documentation says:
>
> Cygwin supports both Win32- and POSIX-style paths, where
> directory delimiters may be either forward or back slashes. UNC
>
> pathnames (starting with two slashes and a network name) are
> also supported.
>
> I have a collegue who has no problem with doing as below.
> However I can't find any of differences regarding installation
>
> between me & him. That's why I raised this question.
>
> Please let me know if you have anything you have in mind.. I
> have to develop a program using Windows path.

I must say I'm a bit puzzled; I never look at it, but WIN32 path work very
well for arguments to programs but, I just test it now, they don't work for
executables in bash ;-(

Just a small test:

~> c:\\WINNT\\system32\\notepad.exe
bash: c:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe: command not found
~> c:\\WINNT\\system32\\notepad
bash: c:\WINNT\system32\notepad: command not found
~> ls -l c:\\WINNT\\system32\\notepad.exe
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ Aucun       46352 Nov  6  1996
c:\WINNT\system32\notepad.exe
~> notepad
~> mount
C:\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C: on / type system (binmode)

As can be seen my install is a little bit unusual (due to the need to mix
win32-native tools and cygwin tools without bothering too much with path
names) as I installed cygwin in the root of C:, but apart from that its
quite standard.

However I don't have a clue to why this doesn't work.

	Bernard

PS: here is a cygcheck run:

~> cygcheck -s -r

Cygnus Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Thu Jan 10 11:14:02 2002

Windows NT Ver 4.0 Build 1381 Service Pack 4

        C:\bin
        C:\bin
        t:\V3\DD\bin.NT
        C:\LOCAL\gCVS-1.9-pc
        C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
        C:\WINNT
        C:\bin
        C:\program files\devstudio\sharedide\bin\ide
        C:\program files\devstudio\sharedide\bin
        C:\program files\devstudio\vc\bin
        C:\VisualGIPSY25\bin

SysDir: C:\WINNT\System32
WinDir: C:\WINNT

HOME = `C:\cygwin'
MAKE_MODE = `unix'
PWD = `/cygwin'
USER = `Administrateur'

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
  (default) = `/cygdrive'
  cygdrive flags = 0x00000022
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions\CYGWIN.DLL setup\b15.0\mounts\00
  (default) = `C:'
  unix = `/'
  fbinary = 0x00000000
  fsilent = 0x00000000
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FTP Explorer\Profiles\Cygnus
  (default) = `sourceware.cygnus.com'
  Login = `anonymous'
  InitialPath = `/pub'
  AnonLogin = 0x00000001
  CacheData = 0x00000000
  DownloadPath = `D:\FTP'
  Description = `Cygnus Sourceware'
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
er\Start Menu\&Programs\
Cygnus Solutions
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
er\Start Menu\Progra&mme
s\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrd
er\Start Menu\Progra&mme
s\Cygnus Solutions\Menu
  (default) = (unsupported type)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/
  (default) = `C:/'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin
  (default) = `C:/bin'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib
  (default) = `C:/lib'
  flags = 0x0000000a
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options

a:  fd           N/A    N/A
c:  hd  NTFS    4008Mb  88% CP CS UN PA FC
d:  hd  NTFS    4000Mb  99% CP CS UN PA FC
e:  net NTFS    2667Mb  50% CP CS UN PA FC
g:  net NTFS    2667Mb  50% CP CS UN PA FC
h:  net NTFS   13782Mb  89% CP CS UN PA FC     Datas
l:  net Samba   4063Mb  25% CP    UN           Baseline
p:  net Samba   4063Mb  39% CP    UN           Releases
r:  net Samba   4063Mb  25% CP    UN           Repository
s:  net Samba   4063Mb  39% CP    UN           SoftWorks
t:  net Samba   4063Mb  39% CP    UN           Targets
u:  net Samba   4063Mb  57% CP    UN           Users
x:  net NTFS     996Mb 100% CP CS UN PA FC     Technique
y:  net Samba   4063Mb  57% CP    UN           SoftWrks
z:  cd           N/A    N/A

.       /cygdrive  user    binmode,noumount
C:/     /          system  binmode
C:/bin  /usr/bin   system  binmode
C:/lib  /usr/lib   system  binmode

Found: C:\bin\bash.exe
Found: \bin\bash.exe
Found: C:\bin\cat.exe
Found: \bin\cat.exe
Found: C:\bin\cpp.exe
Found: t:\V3\DD\bin.NT\cpp.exe
Found: \bin\cpp.exe
Found: C:\bin\find.exe
Found: \bin\find.exe
Found: C:\bin\gcc.exe
Found: t:\V3\DD\bin.NT\gcc.exe
Found: \bin\gcc.exe
Found: C:\bin\gdb.exe
Found: \bin\gdb.exe
Found: C:\bin\ld.exe
Found: \bin\ld.exe
Found: C:\bin\ls.exe
Found: \bin\ls.exe
Found: C:\bin\make.exe
Found: \bin\make.exe
Found: C:\bin\sh.exe
Found: \bin\sh.exe

   56k 2000/12/03 C:\bin\cygbz21.0.dll
  821k 2001/11/19 C:\bin\cygcrypto.dll
   99k 2001/11/20 C:\bin\cygcurl-2.dll
   45k 2001/04/25 C:\bin\cygform5.dll
   34k 2001/09/30 C:\bin\cygform6.dll
   18k 2000/10/23 C:\bin\cyggdbm.dll
   17k 2001/06/28 C:\bin\cyghistory4.dll
   21k 2001/06/28 C:\bin\cyghistory5.dll
   21k 2001/06/20 C:\bin\cygintl.dll
   81k 2001/10/20 C:\bin\cygitcl30.dll
   35k 2001/10/20 C:\bin\cygitk30.dll
   45k 2001/07/04 C:\bin\cygjbig1.dll
  119k 2001/06/06 C:\bin\cygjpeg6b.dll
   26k 2001/04/25 C:\bin\cygmenu5.dll
   19k 2001/09/30 C:\bin\cygmenu6.dll
  156k 2001/04/25 C:\bin\cygncurses++5.dll
  175k 2001/09/30 C:\bin\cygncurses++6.dll
  226k 2001/04/25 C:\bin\cygncurses5.dll
  201k 2001/09/30 C:\bin\cygncurses6.dll
   15k 2001/04/25 C:\bin\cygpanel5.dll
   12k 2001/09/30 C:\bin\cygpanel6.dll