* RE: I need help on how to use the Cygwin fortran compiler.  Thank s, Dr. McNeill
@ 2002-01-08  7:56 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-01-08  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dr. James H. McNeill', cygwin

 Do you have a Cygwin icon on your desktop?
    If not, go to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin and "Install Cygwin now"
       You should install, at least, Base, Devel, and Shells packages.

 Click on the Cygwin icon.  This should bring up a bash shell.

 Are you familiar with unix?  If not, you should find a tutorial somewhere.
    Although Cygwin is a great way for Windows users
    to access free software, it's really aimed at
    somewhat experienced unix/linux users who need to
    run on Windows.

 In your bash shell
    g77 -c fmain.f          will compile the fortran file fmain.f,
                            putting the object file in fmain.o
    g77 fmain.f -o fmain     will compile fmain.f and putting an
                             executable in fmain.exe
    g77 -c fsubr1.f
    g77 -c fsubr2.f
    g77 -c fsubr3.f
    g77 -c fcaller.f
    g77 fcaller.o fsubr1.o fsubr2.o fsubr3.o -o fprogram
                           will compile and link multiple source files.
    g77 -help gives more information.

From: Tim Prince @ 2002-01-09  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robinow, David; +Cc: 'Dr. James H. McNeill', cygwin

Robinow, David wrote:

 > Do you have a Cygwin icon on your desktop?
 >    If not, go to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin and "Install Cygwin
now"
 >       You should install, at least, Base, Devel, and Shells packages.
 >
 > Click on the Cygwin icon.  This should bring up a bash shell.
 >
 > Are you familiar with unix?  If not, you should find a tutorial
somewhere.
 >    Although Cygwin is a great way for Windows users
 >    to access free software, it's really aimed at
 >    somewhat experienced unix/linux users who need to
 >    run on Windows.
 >
 > In your bash shell
 >    g77 -c fmain.f          will compile the fortran file fmain.f,
 >                            putting the object file in fmain.o
 >    g77 fmain.f -o fmain     will compile fmain.f and putting an
 >                             executable in fmain.exe
 >    g77 -c fsubr1.f
 >    g77 -c fsubr2.f
 >    g77 -c fsubr3.f
 >    g77 -c fcaller.f
 >    g77 fcaller.o fsubr1.o fsubr2.o fsubr3.o -o fprogram
 >                           will compile and link multiple source files.
 >    g77 -help gives more information.

If you should wish to use -pg, or the P4-specific code generation of
gcc-3.1, those procedures are not well documented, but David's advice
should give you a good start.  Use also 'info g77' and consider that
much relevant information in 'info gcc' is not duplicated under 'info g77.'

* RE: I need help on how to use the Cygwin fortran compiler.  Thank s, Dr. McNeill
@ 2002-01-08  8:09 Peter Ring
From: Peter Ring @ 2002-01-08  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dr. James H. McNeill', cygwin

It's not quite clear what you are expecting.

There's a Fortran77 compiler frontend included in the Cygwin gcc
distribution. You have found the command.

The following suggestions assume that you have started a bash shell. If you
have installed Cygwin using the SETUP program, you should have a Cygwin icon
on your desktop. Click this icon to open a bash shell.

For documentation:

  man g77

or

  info g77

The g77.info may not be properly installed. If the last commands just
complains that g77 is not found:

  cd /usr/info
  install-info g77.info dir

There's no IDE (integrated development environment) included with Cygwin
(except the debugger, gdb). I believe some exist, but can't recommend any.
There's a GCC IDE at http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html, but I'm not
sure it is any good for Fortran.

You can also compile Fortran programs from within emacs.

Kind regards
Peter Ring

[...]

Sincerely yours,

Dr. James H. McNeill