* Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-01  9:59 Andrew DeFaria
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-01  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why not simply set up a news server instead of this mail list. I find
the mail list deficient in several areas. First and foremost it's noisy
causing me to wade through all this email for topics I'm interested in.
Secondly there's no easy or convenient way to response to individual
issues (I get a digest of cygwin stuff emailed to me). Seems to me that
nntp was designed specifically for such communications and a number of
companies have set up news servers for such things.

Finally a number of times I receive a digest speaking of topics and
articles but the email message is apparently truncated and the bodies of
these articles are missing.

Comments? (I'm sure there will be some).

* Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-05 15:30 Andrew DeFaria
From: Andrew DeFaria @ 2002-02-05 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    You ask why not? Let me answer that with a question. How many people
    do you know that have a news reader but don't have an email client?
    Chances are that it's slim to none while on the other hand you'll
    have a great number of people that don't have a news reader but do
    have email.

News reading clients are a dime a dozen. Many, if not most, people
already have them though may not be aware that they do.

    Using a news server for something that people aren't forced to use
    will limit your subscriber base simply because there are those, such
    as myself, that just don't have the time to fool with finding a good
    reader, learn it, and then use it accordingly. As they say, two
    heads are better than one, but when you start using a format that is
    foreign to a majority of the internet masses you're going to start
    limiting your creative pool.

In general, news was invented precisely for what this email based list
is trying to do: Discuss stuff. The "limitations" you suggest did not
stop companies like Netscape, Twelve Tone Systems, Microsoft, Spamcop
and GRC from setting up news servers. Reading news is *NOT* that hard to do.

    Just to belay the comments on this, no one needs to suggest that
    Outlook Express comes with a news reader because I've toyed with it,
    and from my experience and from what I've been told by others, it's
    a joke of a reader.

Lots of readers are jokes to some and serious tools to others. I, for
example, think Outlook is a joke but it is used by a ton of people. Pick
your favorite client. There are good ones.

    As for your issue with corrupted messages, why not just switch to
    regular delivery and setup your mail client to move all messages
    from this list into a folder of it's own? A good email client will
    even sort email messages based on subject similar to that of the
    method a news server stores messages. It's just my opinion, but as
    far as I can see the only real advantage to using 'news' instead of
    a listserv is that you're not wasting bandwidth on people that
    aren't even reading the list.

Because I do not feel like having to pour though a ton of messages
wasting space on my systems to weed out the junk and have to manage
cleaning up all the stuff I'm not interested it. News servers were
created exactly to address this issue. It is the medium developed
exactly for what we are trying to do here. Am I so wrong to ask why we
are not using the medium?!?.

* Re: Why not a news server?
@ 2002-02-18 10:53 Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-02-18 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Well, this news server certainly does not address the issue of archive
searching, as it goes back only a few days (as of this writing, the
earliest posting still there is from Feb. 06, 2002). My own local archive
of cygwin@cygwin.com goes back to Jan 01, 2001. Using Eudora I can do
multi-criteria search with AND or OR combination, optionally restricted to
particular headers or the body and if necessary I can use regular
expressions as the search criteria.

I really don't see how that can be improved upon by any on-line archive.

My year and ~1.5 months of Cygwin archives requires 48 megabytes. That
seems pretty reasonable to me, considering the cheapness of mass storage.

Note, too, that given the nature of the mailbox files' contents (all text,
usually 7-bit at that), even Windows compression is quite effective,
reducing the file's physical size to between .6 and .65 of that of the
uncompressed original.

Here's what I do: When the size of a given list's primary mailbox becomes
uncomfortably large, I split off an archive mailbox file from the main
mailbox, give it a date-stamped alternative name and apply Windows file
compression. All together, this has saved me a little over 200 megabytes of
disk space (!).

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA