* Setup Program
@ 2002-02-07 18:31 Laurence F. Wood
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Laurence F. Wood @ 2002-02-07 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Cygwin. Com

After reading the FAQ again I see that the setup program is not capable of
installing everything at once.  However, I would like to email some
suggestions to the microsoft engineer that developed the program.  Could
someone provide his/her email address.

Thanks.

* Re: Setup Program
@ 2002-02-07 18:34 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-07 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:41:17PM -0500, Laurence F. Wood wrote:
>After reading the FAQ again I see that the setup program is not capable of
>installing everything at once.  However, I would like to email some
>suggestions to the microsoft engineer that developed the program.  Could
>someone provide his/her email address.

http://cygwin.com/bugs.html

cgf

* Re: Setup Program
@ 2002-02-07 18:35   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:34:16PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:41:17PM -0500, Laurence F. Wood wrote:
>>After reading the FAQ again I see that the setup program is not capable of
>>installing everything at once.  However, I would like to email some
>>suggestions to the microsoft engineer that developed the program.  Could
>>someone provide his/her email address.
>
>http://cygwin.com/bugs.html

Actually, this is probably much more appropriate:

http://cygwin.com/lists.html#see-above

cgf

* RE: Setup Program
@ 2002-02-07 20:41 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-02-07 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Cygwin. Com

Won't do your taxes either.

>  However, I would like to email some
> suggestions to the microsoft engineer that developed the program.  Could
> someone provide his/her email address.

Right here Larry.  Rob Collins is actually the maintainer, and of course many
others have contributed to it.  Of course neither of us work for Microsoft
(didn't you mean to spell that "Micro$oft"?).  In fact, neither of us recieve
any compensation whatsoever from anybody for working on it.  Well, other than
the high praise we get from good folks like you!

> Thanks.

No no, thank you Larry!  I'll be waiting on those suggestions with bated breath!
'Til then, I think I'll go help Chris break flex (again).

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* RE: Setup Program
@ 2002-02-07 21:11   ` Laurence F. Wood
From: Laurence F. Wood @ 2002-02-07 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Cygwin. Com

Are the sources to the setup program available?

@ 2002-02-07 22:25     ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-02-07 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurence F. Wood, Cygwin@Cygwin. Com

From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-08  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurence F. Wood; +Cc: Cygwin@Cygwin. Com

Laurence F. Wood wrote:

> After reading the FAQ again I see that the setup program is not capable of
> installing everything at once.  However, I would like to email some
> suggestions to the microsoft engineer

WTF?  Are you TRYING to be obnoxious?  You do realize that in free
software circles, calling someone a "microsoft engineer" is a deadly
insult, right?

--Chuck

* Re: Setup program
@ 2001-05-27  9:06   ` Bobby McNulty
From: Bobby McNulty @ 2001-05-27  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael A. Chase, cygwin

Here is what happened.
1) I downloaded everything from the distro using 2.55
2) I installed the distro using install from local
directory.
3) missing now is automake.
4) when setting up the source code, it worked fine up
until gcc 2.95.3-4.src.tar.gz garbage ensued.
5) i checked /usr/src. It had all the sources up until
gawk. It never put out gcc 2.95.3-4 sources.

How i got the sources
1) used install from internet.

Looks like Christopher came out with another one.
Pray it works.
(I am trying to track down the bug and report it and
possible solutions. Solution seems to be to make the
scanning portion more stable. its not finding sources
and binary packages. Missing is m4, byacc, diff, time,
and a couple of other packages in the sources. the
above mentioned do not have a number attached to them
and are not being maintained. I was thinking about
becoming the maintainer of these missing ones with
permission of Redhat and Christopher.
Bobby
--- "Michael A. Chase" <mchase@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> It should be under /usr/src/.
> --
> Mac :})
> Give a hobbit a fish and he'll eat fish for a day.
> Give a hobbit a ring and he'll eat fish for an age.

* Re: Setup program
@ 2001-05-27  4:45 ` Michael A. Chase
From: Michael A. Chase @ 2001-05-27  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bobby McNulty, cygwin

It should be under /usr/src/.
--
Mac :})
Give a hobbit a fish and he'll eat fish for a day.
Give a hobbit a ring and he'll eat fish for an age.

* RE: Setup program
@ 2001-05-26 22:21   ` Bobby McNulty

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-05-26 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-05-26 14:40 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-05-26 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>From: "Karl M" <karlm30@hotmail.com>
>To: karlm30@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: Setup program
>Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 14:39:42 -0700
>
>Hi All...
>
>I was wrong, setup is displaying the package names. They were just cut off
>in the little window. Could you please make the little window a little
>bigger.
>
>I guess this is a little request. :)
>
>Thanks,
>
>...Karl
>
>>From: "Karl M" <karlm30@hotmail.com>
>>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>>Subject: Setup program
>>Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 14:34:03 -0700
>>
>>Hi...
>>
>>I just used the new setup to download from the internet to my local cygwin
>>download directory. I had first deleted all files in this local directory
>>before running setup. Setup told me that there was nothing I needed to do.
>>think that setup was looking at my c:\cygwin directory and saw that
>>everything was up to date.
>>
>>But this is wrong...when I am dowmloading from the internet, setup should
>>look at the files in the download directory not my install. I download to
>>directory and then install on other machines from there.
>>
>>So for download from the internet, setup should only look at the packages
>>in
>>the download directory.
>>
>>-------------------------
>>
>>Also, when I ran the new setup to install from a local directory, it
>>displayed the version numbers of the packages, but not the names.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>...Karl

* Setup program
@ 2001-05-26 14:34 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-05-26 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi...

I just used the new setup to download from the internet to my local cygwin
download directory. I had first deleted all files in this local directory
before running setup. Setup told me that there was nothing I needed to do. I
think that setup was looking at my c:\cygwin directory and saw that
everything was up to date.

But this is wrong...when I am dowmloading from the internet, setup should
look at the files in the download directory not my install. I download to a

@ 2001-04-18  7:44 ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-04-18  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl M, cygwin

Karl, look in the archives..

a) this has been discussed before. Being able to downgrade is very
useful for some users. This isn't a bug, its a feature. :] Well actually
I think its on the list somewhere as a tick box option.
b) Cygwin is really very easy to program: _you_ could work on it.

Rob