* cygrunsrv
@ 2002-02-16 14:24 paul van der Meij
From: paul van der Meij @ 2002-02-16 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

when starting a service that is installed with 'cygrunsrv -I' and has
the 'allow service to interact with desktop' property on, then a (black)
console window appears from cygrunsrv itself.

I need the property for my service.

Is it possible to suppress the console window ??

--
greetings,

Paul van der Meij

* Re: cygrunsrv
@ 2005-04-26 12:02 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-04-26 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr 25 07:10, Karl M wrote:
> Hi All...
>
> In testing out my keychain service on a new XP system, I was thinking about
> all of the questions
> that have shown up on the cygwin@... list in the past about launching a
> service from a user-id other than SYSTEM. And...I was wondering how you(s)
> felt about adding the ability for cygrunsrv to change user-id before
> running the target application.

It sounds a bit confusing to me.  The result are two different ways
to install a service as user with one of them somewhat obfuscated.

> Are there any negatives to doing it?

Is there any additional gain over installing as user?

> Or...Corinna...if it is easy, is this something that you would consider
> adding?

This is a clear case of http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

The sources of cygrunsrv are in CVS on sourceware as module "cygrunsrv"
in the repository :pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com:/cvs/cygwin-apps.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: cygrunsrv
@ 2005-04-26  6:44   ` Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2005-04-26  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Brian...

Installing the service as a specific user works, and I have used it that way
for a long time. However, to do that I add rights to the users to log on as
a service. Given that there has been questions from time to time about what
rights and how to set them, I wondered if giving cygrunsrv the ability to
change users would reduce this. I can live with things as they are, I
thought it would be a usefull addition.

It would be a significant learning curve for me, so I wanted to see if there
was interest and/or someone who was willing to implement it before
embarking.

Thanks,

...Karl

>From: Brian Dessent
>Subject: Re: cygrunsrv
>Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:17:00 -0700
>
>Karl M wrote:
>
> > In testing out my keychain service on a new XP system, I was thinking
>about
> > all of the questions
> > that have shown up on the cygwin@... list in the past about launching a
> > service from a user-id other than SYSTEM. And...I was wondering how
>you(s)
> > felt about adding the ability for cygrunsrv to change user-id before
>running
> > the target application.
>
>Why should cygrunsrv switch users?  Why not just install the service to
>run as the desired user?  cygrunsrv already supports this with --user.
>
>Brian
>
>--

* Re: cygrunsrv
@ 2005-04-25 21:48 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2005-04-25 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-04-25 15:19 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2005-04-25 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All...

In testing out my keychain service on a new XP system, I was thinking about
all of the questions
that have shown up on the cygwin@... list in the past about launching a
service from a user-id other than SYSTEM. And...I was wondering how you(s)
felt about adding the ability for cygrunsrv to change user-id before running
the target application.

Are there any negatives to doing it?

It seems that the security is no worse than having XP store passwords for
the user-id's of the services.

Other than using OpenSSH as an example, is there any other guidance you
would give?

Or...Corinna...if it is easy, is this something that you would consider
adding?

Thanks,

...Karl

* RE: cygrunsrv
       [not found] ` <C1A7FA5F2793A94BA223673B8ADAF4A1C98A33@exchange.air2web.co m>
@ 2004-04-23 14:46   ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-04-23 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Campbell, cygwin

At 09:18 AM 4/23/2004, you wrote:
>>When I try to install services using cygrunsrv, the XP service manager
>>always lists the path to the executable as cygrunsrv rather than the
>>executable I tried to install.  What might I be doing wrong?
>>Thanks...
>
>Possibly nothing.
>
>Looking at my services, cron/inetd/sshd, all of which are working and
>all of which were basically default installs, I note that cron and sshd
>both show the path to the executable as cygrunsrv.

Right.  There is nothing wrong with this.  'cygrunsrv' is the program that's
run to start the Cygwin service you want.  The service is a parameter that's
stored with the registry.  You can see the information you're looking for
with the following:

cat /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/<service name>/Parameters/AppPath

where <service name> is the name you gave to the service at install time.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: cygrunsrv
@ 2004-04-23 13:21 ` bertrand marquis
From: bertrand marquis @ 2004-04-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Benson-Manica; +Cc: cygwin

no you are not wrong it is the same for me under win2k and it is working
i think that cygrunsrv is the one who call the right program

Christopher Benson-Manica a écrit:

>When I try to install services using cygrunsrv, the XP service manager
>always lists the path to the executable as cygrunsrv rather than the
>executable I tried to install.  What might I be doing wrong?
>Thanks...

* RE: cygrunsrv
@ 2004-04-23 13:20 Richard Campbell
       [not found] ` <C1A7FA5F2793A94BA223673B8ADAF4A1C98A33@exchange.air2web.co m>
From: Richard Campbell @ 2004-04-23 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>When I try to install services using cygrunsrv, the XP service manager
>always lists the path to the executable as cygrunsrv rather than the
>executable I tried to install.  What might I be doing wrong?
>Thanks...

Possibly nothing.

Looking at my services, cron/inetd/sshd, all of which are working and
all of which were basically default installs, I note that cron and sshd
both show the path to the executable as cygrunsrv.

-Richard Campbell.

* cygrunsrv
@ 2004-04-23 13:18 Christopher Benson-Manica
From: Christopher Benson-Manica @ 2004-04-23 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

When I try to install services using cygrunsrv, the XP service manager
always lists the path to the executable as cygrunsrv rather than the
executable I tried to install.  What might I be doing wrong?
Thanks...

--
Christopher Benson-Manica
ataru(at)sdf.lonestar.org

* Re: cygrunsrv
@ 2001-06-10 12:44 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-06-10 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 11:28:01AM -0700, Karl M wrote:
> Hi Corinna...
>
> Would you be willing to accept a patch to cygrunsrv to set the Description
> field in the services panel?

Sure.

> If yes, would you prefer that I expand the functionality of
>
> install_registry_keys
>
> to make registry entries at this new level or add a new function? I would
> favor expanding the current function.

I agree.

> Do you have any preference for the option names?

--desc ?!? I'm not quite sure about the single character option,
-x, perhaps...

You can download the latest source from CVS:

  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.de:/home/cvs/cvsroot login
  Password "anoncvs"
  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.de:/home/cvs/cvsroot co cygrunsrv

Patches should be relative to the latest in the CVS repository.
Please add an appropriate text to cygrunsrv.README as well.
And a ChangeLog entry as plain text.

Oh, yes, and please let us move discussions about changes to
cygrunsrv to the cygwin-apps mailing list.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* cygrunsrv