* Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-25 17:14 Robert Collins
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-02-25 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

We've branched the next version of setup.exe, and created a snapshot for anyone willing to be our guinea pigs.

It is accessible via http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020225.exe.

Please use this, and report any bugs back to us. We know of one with large fonts, that will be rectified shortly, but we want to ensure that no functional bugs exist. All going well this will be the default setup.exe by the end of the week!

ROb

* RE: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-25 17:30 ` Dr. Carsten Bormann
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Dr. Carsten Bormann @ 2002-02-25 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

The full view window looks completely truncated in my Windows98SE.
Hard to explain, but of the whole scrollable canvas, only a few lines are
visible, and only the first 10 cm or so horizontally.
If you scroll, you just get more white space, and if you scroll back, some
more of the text is gone.
Weird.

Gruesse, Carsten

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-25 19:57 ` Bruce Dobrin
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Bruce Dobrin @ 2002-02-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

1:  got message "cannot open (null) for reading....." message a couple of
times when installing from a local (network) directory onto a new XP
machine,  followed by a failiar message indicating more info in
setup.log.full.  Nothing out of the ordinary noted in that file.

2:  the dropdown for each heading,  and the toggle (install/default/...)
were so close together that I kept hitting one when I wanted the other  when
using my trackpad...

> We've branched the next version of setup.exe, and created a snapshot for
anyone willing to be our guinea pigs.

> It is accessible via
http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020225.exe.

> Please use this, and report any bugs back to us. We know of one with large
fonts, that will be rectified shortly, but we want to ensure that no
functional bugs exist. All going well this will be the default setup.exe by
the end of the week!

> ROb
>
> --

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-25 22:13   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-02-25 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Dobrin; +Cc: Robert Collins, cygwin

Bruce Dobrin wrote:

> 1:  got message "cannot open (null) for reading....." message a couple of
> times when installing from a local (network) directory onto a new XP
> machine,  followed by a failiar message indicating more info in
> setup.log.full.  Nothing out of the ordinary noted in that file.

I've seen that message when my local dir was out of sync with the
setup.ini IN the local dir.  e.g. /my/local/setup.ini says that
contrib/cygutils/cygutils-0.9.9-1.tar.bz2 exists, but the file is not
ACTUALLY in /my/local/contrib/cygutils/.

--Chuck

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-26  1:45 ` Volker Quetschke
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Volker Quetschke @ 2002-02-26  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just tried it,

as you can see here:

http://www.scytek.de/setup-20020225-screens2.gif

it does strange things in the selection window, I just clicked +Doc
and made a screenshot.

And here: http://www.scytek.de/setup-20020225-screens1.gif
you can see what happens after a click on the View button.

Another strange thing is that you can't get a "screenshot" of the
Cygwin Setup window (with <Alt>-<Print>). I did a full screenshot and
cut off the rest. I think this behavior is relatatet to the fact that
you can't get the Cygwin Setup to the top of the desktop by clicking
on the tasklist. The window gets the focus, but doesn't come to the top.

 >Please use this, and report any bugs back to us. We know of one with
 >large fonts, that will be rectified shortly, but we want to ensure that
 >no functional bugs exist. All going well this will be the default
 >setup.exe by the end of the week!
(Then I will have serious problems with my cygwin updates)

I know of the large font problem, but changing the font size and the
acceleration settings for the graphicscard changes nothing instead of
cutting a few pixel from the top of every visible text line.

This system is an ACER Travelmate 600 with Windows 98SE.

I tried setup also on a Windows 2K computer, there everything is ok.

Bye
    Volker

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-26  4:05 ` Mark Himsley
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Himsley @ 2002-02-26  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:01:12 +1100 you wrote:

>It is accessible via http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020225.exe.

Maybe the 'Locate package Directory' text box could fill the width of the
dialog slightly more

Maybe its my computer but selecting the 'Cygwin Setup' item in the task bar
or clicking anywhere on the dialog except for the title bar does not top the
dialog (it does get focus though).

Using setup in two passes, one to doanload and one to install.
I selected to uninstall bison on the first pass, it was installed and there
was an update to happen.
On the second pass I was not able to uninstall as uninstall is not one of
the options but installing the latest version (which was not downloaded) was
in the list of options.
When it got to do the install there was an error indicating that the file to
install did not exist (which is correct).
This leads me to two observations: (1) what is the point of the uninstall
option in the download phase and (2) why did the install phase offer to
install a file that did not exist and did not offer to uninstall that file.

--
Mark Himsley
In Acton

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-26  8:50 ` James Garrison
From: James Garrison @ 2002-02-26  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

Works fine on Win2K SP2 w/SP2 Rollup Patch

... except it created a directory called

    http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.rcn.net%2fpub%2fsourceware%2fcygwin

in my download directory and placed the updated packages there

instead of directly in the download directory.

--
James Garrison                                Athens Group, Inc.
mailto:jhg@athensgroup.com                    5608 Parkcrest Dr

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-26 10:28 ` John A. Turner
From: John A. Turner @ 2002-02-26 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

> We've branched the next version of setup.exe, and created a snapshot for anyone willing to be our guinea pigs.
>
> It is accessible via http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020225.exe.
>
> Please use this, and report any bugs back to us. We know of one with large fonts, that will be rectified shortly, but we want to ensure that no functional bugs exist. All going well this will be the default setup.exe by the end of the week!

looks good - I notice that switching from "Curr" to "Exp" now leaves
most stuff at "Keep" and just adds the experimental versions as
appropriate - excellent

-John Turner

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-03-01  3:17 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-03-01  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:

> We've branched the next version of setup.exe, and created a snapshot for anyone willing to be our guinea pigs.
>
> It is accessible via http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020225.exe.
>
> Please use this, and report any bugs back to us. We know of one with large fonts, that will be rectified shortly, but we want to ensure that no functional bugs exist. All going well this will be the default setup.exe by the end of the week!

This version of setup works (for me) when installing from a "local"
repository -- when that repository is on an SMB share.  Yay!

--Chuck

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-03-10 12:17 ` Volker Quetschke
From: Volker Quetschke @ 2002-03-10 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

Hi!

>>as you can see here:
>>
>>http://www.scytek.de/setup-20020225-screens2.gif
>>
>>it does strange things in the selection window, I just
>>clicked +Doc and made a screenshot.
>>
>>And here: http://www.scytek.de/setup-20020225-screens1.gif
>>you can see what happens after a click on the View button.
>>

> Urk. Nasty. Well I don't have the ability to debug this - I've got NT
> kernel based machines only, as my emulted environment with 95 is
> currently cactus. So I'm depending on 'net support to debug this. I
> wager that it's related to my clip area enhancements in the pick line
> ::paint routine, as that gave me a [little] gyp.
>
> This has been reported twice now on 98SE. I'm very interested if it is
> 98SE across the board, or 98SE + xyz video card.

I tested the new setup on another Win98SE machine, same effect!

Machines:

Acer Travelmate 600TER with ATI Rage Mobility-M1 (I installed new video
drivers, no changes)

Desktop PC with 128MB Ram, AMD Duron 800 and nvidia TNT2 graphics board.

If I move the setup window and "redraw" with the view-button, I have the
impression that only the upper left (estimated with ruler) 570x330 pixel
  of the full 1024x768 are drawn.

Volker

* RE: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-03-10  2:42 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-10  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Quetschke, cygwin

Rob

* RE: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-03-10  2:40 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-10  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Himsley, cygwin

Hi Mark,
	sorry for the long delay... fiscally supported work intervened.

Patches (from anyone) accepted.

> Maybe its my computer but selecting the 'Cygwin Setup' item
> in the task bar or clicking anywhere on the dialog except for
> the title bar does not top the dialog (it does get focus though).

It's everyones. Long term the chooser will be just-another-property page
(or something). Anyway, known bug (I'm assuming that you have the choose
open when this occurs). Can you please confirm my assumption?

> Using setup in two passes, one to doanload and one to
> install. I selected to uninstall bison on the first pass, it
> was installed and there was an update to happen. On the
> second pass I was not able to uninstall as uninstall is not
> one of the options but installing the latest version (which
> was not downloaded) was in the list of options. When it got
> to do the install there was an error indicating that the file
> to install did not exist (which is correct). This leads me to
> two observations: (1) what is the point of the uninstall
> option in the download phase and (2) why did the install
> phase offer to install a file that did not exist and did not
> offer to uninstall that file.

'Download only' mode is a hack leveraging existing functionality, not a
truly separate mode. So it prevents installs... but apparently
uninstalls slipped through the gaps. Added as a todo-item to remove the
uninstalling, and the ability to choose that (or reinstalls).

As for the install phase, I'm not sure if this email was sent before or
after I fixed a critical bug in the local-install mode, you may find
it's fixed now.

Cheers,
Rob

* Re: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-25 19:19 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-25 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 12:47:11PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

I'm working on this.  Hope to have something in a couple of
days.

cgf

* RE: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-25 18:30 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-02-25 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Smith, cygwin

Yes. (Try Ctrl- or Shift- clicking in the mirror selection window.)

> Thanks for all your efforts!

No probs. (On behalf of all of us).

Rob

* RE: Next version of setup.exe
@ 2002-02-25 18:09 Ross Smith
From: Ross Smith @ 2002-02-25 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Robert Collins', cygwin

> From: Robert Collins [mailto:robert.collins@itdomain.com.au]
>
> We've branched the next version of setup.exe, and created a
> snapshot for anyone willing to be our guinea pigs.
>
> It is accessible via
> http://www.cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/setup-20020225.exe.
>
> Please use this, and report any bugs back to us. We know of
> one with large fonts, that will be rectified shortly, but we
> want to ensure that no functional bugs exist. All going well
> this will be the default setup.exe by the end of the week!

I just tried it and everything seems to be OK. (OS is Windows
2000.)

There were a couple of minor points that may not actually be
bugs but seem a little odd. One is the big blank space on the
left of the first window, which looks suspiciously as though
there was meant to be an image there.

(Screenshot: http://storm.net.nz/~ross/temp/cygwin1.png)

The other is that downloaded packages are being saved under a
directory named for the download site, instead of all going
into common "contrib" and "latest" directories as they used
to. Was this intentional?