* Re: Is cygwin Linux.
@ 2002-05-27 16:40 Michael D. Crawford
From: Michael D. Crawford @ 2002-05-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 > One of the biggest differences
 >is that Sparc binaries are bigendian while IA32 are little endian in
 >ordering.  This makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to create a
 > software emulator.

That's not really true.  Connectix Virtual PC can run little endian x86
executables in a virtual machine under windows or linux on a big-endian
Macintosh powerpc.

What's more of an issue is that I believe sparc has lots of registers but x86
doesn't.  That makes it very innefficient to emulate, because you can't devote
a real register to each emulated register.  Virtual PC, as well as the 68k
emulator that is built into PowerPC macs, can do so and have registers left
over the internal operation of the emulator.

You could still do it, you'd just be swapping registers out to ram and back all
the time, which would be very slow.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/

  Subscribe to the GoingWare Newsletter at http://www.goingware.com/newsletter/

* Re: Is cygwin Linux.
@ 2002-05-27 16:34   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-05-27 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nicholas,

The Macintosh (PowerPC, big-endian) supports a very good and
high-performance emulator for i386 (little-endian) to which Windows has
been ported. It's called VirtualPC and supports Windows versions from 95 to XP.

Until the end of last year, the same company produced a Mac-hosted emulator
for the Sony PlayStation.

Regarding the Mikael's question, the only real issue about something
familiar to a Cygwin user on SunOS is whether the GNU tools are readily
available (I assume they are, or at least could be compiled there, probably
out-of-the-box). Many GNU tools have more options than do their
counterparts on other Unix systems.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 06:01 2002-05-27, you wrote:

>--- "Johansson Mikael (mj)" <mikael.mj.johansson@volvo.com> wrote:
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I have two questions.
> >
> > 1. Is cygwin compatible for Sun OS, Solaris.
>The others have answered this...
>
> > 2. What is the relation between Linux and Cygwin.
> >
> > The reason I ask is that I wonder if a program placed on a
> > computer with Sun OS can execute in cygwin.
>

>If you are referring to running a Sparc binary on the IA32 platform, the
>answer is it will probably never happen.  One of the biggest differences
>is that Sparc binaries are bigendian while IA32 are little endian in
>ordering.  This makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to create a
>software emulator.  The best bet is to see if you can't recompile the
>program, taking into account the architecture differences.  If it is a
>closed-source program, see if there are any opensource alternatives and
>then try compiling those.  If all else fails, reinvent the wheel;).
>

> > Thanks beforehand
> >
> > Mikael.
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas

* Re: Is cygwin Linux.
@ 2002-05-27 13:16 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-05-27 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johansson Mikael (mj), 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

--- "Johansson Mikael (mj)" <mikael.mj.johansson@volvo.com> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have two questions.
>
> 1. Is cygwin compatible for Sun OS, Solaris.
The others have answered this...

> 2. What is the relation between Linux and Cygwin.
>
> The reason I ask is that I wonder if a program placed on a
> computer with Sun OS can execute in cygwin.

If you are referring to running a Sparc binary on the IA32 platform, the
answer is it will probably never happen.  One of the biggest differences
is that Sparc binaries are bigendian while IA32 are little endian in
ordering.  This makes it very difficult, if not impossible, to create a
software emulator.  The best bet is to see if you can't recompile the
program, taking into account the architecture differences.  If it is a
closed-source program, see if there are any opensource alternatives and
then try compiling those.  If all else fails, reinvent the wheel ;).

> Thanks beforehand
>
> Mikael.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: Is cygwin Linux.
@ 2002-05-27 11:07 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-05-27 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 12:22:29PM +0200, Johansson Mikael (mj) wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have two questions.
>
> 1. Is cygwin compatible for Sun OS, Solaris.

No.  It tries to be POSIX compatible in the first place.

> 2. What is the relation between Linux and Cygwin.

There is none except that both are trying to be POSIX compatible.

> The reason I ask is that I wonder if a program placed on a
> computer with Sun OS can execute in cygwin.

Counter question:  Can I run Sony Playstation executables on SunOS?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Is cygwin Linux.
@ 2002-05-27 10:50 ` Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2002-05-27 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johansson Mikael (mj); +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

/ "Johansson Mikael (mj)" <mikael.mj.johansson@volvo.com> wrote:
| Hello all!
|
| I have two questions.
|
| 1. Is cygwin compatible for Sun OS, Solaris.
| 2. What is the relation between Linux and Cygwin.

Well the user interface, command-prompt is compatible ;-) Also the
basic X11 stuff at the moment.

And it makes it easy to port stuff from one platform to the other.

| The reason I ask is that I wonder if a program placed on a
| computer with Sun OS can execute in cygwin.

The least you have to do is to recompile the program, if you are lucky
it works, if not, you have to do some porting..

Running it binary, out of the box from the cygwin machine can't be
done today I think. (never say never if anyone have done a solaris
emulator for the PC ;-))

        /Andy

--
 The eye of the beholder rests on the beauty!

* Is cygwin Linux.
@ 2002-05-27  7:24 Johansson Mikael (mj)
                   ` (2 more replies)