* Cygwin mirrors synchronisation problem?
@ 2002-05-26 12:00 Huijing Zhou
From: Huijing Zhou @ 2002-05-26 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am trying to download the complete Cygwin packages using the Cygwin
Setup programme since a few days. Since I am at a German University I
tried the European mirrors first, and found out that the mirror at FHT
Esslingen is always at least one day ahead of other ones, including the
famous "Franken" server at Uni Erlangen, but from the Esslingen mirror
and most others I got a "Download incomplete - Try again?" message at
the end, every time. I checked the FTP site and indeed some packages are
not there.

Now I have two questions:

Is the Esslingen mirror suppose to be ahead of others? Why are the other
mirrors so far behinde it?

Why is the Esslingen mirror and the others I tried incomplete? Are they
   suppose to be?

Huijing

--
Huijing Zhou <hj@cip.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de>
CIP Computer Lab, Faculty of Economics

* Re: Cygwin mirrors synchronisation problem?
@ 2002-05-28 14:43 ` Gordon R. Keehn
From: Gordon R. Keehn @ 2002-05-28 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    Up through Setup-2.243 I receive that error if I select the source for
"setup: The Cygwin Net Distribution installer and updater program." in
category Net.  No select, no error.  As for the problem of mirror
synchronization, I suspect you will always find that mirror sites are
synchronized on different schedules.  If you have observed that one mirror
is synchronized more frequently, then by all means, use it.
    Cheers,
Gordon

Huijing Zhou wrote:

> I am trying to download the complete Cygwin packages using the Cygwin
> Setup programme since a few days. Since I am at a German University I
> tried the European mirrors first, and found out that the mirror at FHT
> Esslingen is always at least one day ahead of other ones, including the
> famous "Franken" server at Uni Erlangen, but from the Esslingen mirror
> and most others I got a "Download incomplete - Try again?" message at
> the end, every time. I checked the FTP site and indeed some packages are
> not there.
>
> Now I have two questions:
>
> Is the Esslingen mirror suppose to be ahead of others? Why are the other
> mirrors so far behinde it?
>
> Why is the Esslingen mirror and the others I tried incomplete? Are they
>    suppose to be?
>
> Huijing
>
> --
> Huijing Zhou <hj@cip.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de>
> CIP Computer Lab, Faculty of Economics
> University of Karlsruhe, Germany
> http://www2.wiwi.uni-karlsruhe.de
>
> --

----
  Gordon R. Keehn, CPSM Change Team
  CICS/390 Service, USA
  Gordon Keehn/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, 1-919-254-1690

* Re: Cygwin mirrors synchronisation problem?
@ 2002-05-28 23:22   ` Huijing Zhou
From: Huijing Zhou @ 2002-05-28 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>     Up through Setup-2.243 I receive that error if I select the source for
> "setup: The Cygwin Net Distribution installer and updater program." in
> category Net.  No select, no error.  As for the problem of mirror
> synchronization, I suspect you will always find that mirror sites are
> synchronized on different schedules.  If you have observed that one mirror
> is synchronized more frequently, then by all means, use it.

Actually I did not select _any_ source package, only binaries. So
obviously I got a different error than you.

As for the synchronisation, I think I just misunderstood the logistics
of the mirrors. Previously I thought the sites were centerally managed
by the Cygwin project using some coordinated mirroring machanism, while
now, after some reading, I believe the mirror sites are totally
autonomous which could be updated hourly, daily, weekly, or not at all!
So, as you hinted, I will just use the Esslingen server since it's
updated more frequently, and I do recommand it to all other european
users, especially those within the German Research Network (DFN).

Huijing