* RE: cygwin wrapper aclocal doesn't handle multiple -I options ?
@ 2002-06-25 20:32 Rapp, Perry
From: Rapp, Perry @ 2002-06-25 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If I alter
  /usr/bin/aclocal
from this

    -I )
       test $# = 1 && eval "$exit_missing_arg"
       shift
       opt_i="-I $1"
       shift ;;

to this

    -I )
       test $# = 1 && eval "$exit_missing_arg"
       shift
       opt_i=$opt_i" -I $1"
       shift ;;

then my use of multiple includes seems to work correctly with aclocal

Cordially,

Perry

* Re: cygwin wrapper aclocal doesn't handle multiple -I options ?
@ 2002-06-26  0:37 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-06-26  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rapp, Perry; +Cc: cygwin

Noted.  I need to release a new autoconf wrapper soon (autoconf-2.53a
added the "-I" option to replace "-macrodir", so I need to handle that).
  I'll do a new automake wrapper at the same time.

--Chuck

@ 2002-06-26  7:36   ` Bernard A Badger
From: Bernard A Badger @ 2002-06-26  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You should allow file names with spaces in them.
Use:
	opt_i="$opt_i -I '$1'"

BTW, a better name would be opt_I, not opt_i, since the option is -I, not -i.

<<Further nitpicks suppressed.>>

@ 2002-06-26  9:12     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-06-26  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Bernard A Badger wrote:

> You should allow file names with spaces in them.
> Use:
> 	opt_i="$opt_i -I '$1'"
>
> BTW, a better name would be opt_I, not opt_i, since the option is -I, not -i.

It's too late for this release of the wrappers, but patches gratefully
accepted for the future.  However, your suggestion won't work:

"$opt_i -I '$1'"

using single quotes prevents $1 from being expanded at all.  What you'd
need to do is something like:

"$opt_i -I \"$1\""

But I'm not sure if those doublequotes will be safe after multiple
re-expansions as $opt_i is built and extended.  This needs some testing.

--Chuck

* cygwin wrapper aclocal doesn't handle multiple -I options ?
@ 2002-06-25 19:34 Rapp, Perry
From: Rapp, Perry @ 2002-06-25 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a hypothesis that the aclocal wrapper doesn't handle
multiple -I options, or at least doesn't pass them all to the
real aclocal.

If I replace my call

  aclocal -I m4 -I build/autotools

with

  /usr/autotools/devel/aclocal -I m4 -I build/autotools

then things work (it finds gettext, which is in ./m4/gettext.m4).

I looked at

  /usr/bin/aclocal

and this section:

    -I )
       test $# = 1 && eval "$exit_missing_arg"
       shift
       opt_i="-I $1"
       shift ;;

suggests to me that it is replacing the earlier -I option with the
later ?

I am guessing a solution would be to do an append there,
but I'm no good at shell programming -- anyone know the
proper syntax ?

Cordially,

Perry

ps:

$ aclocal --version
aclocal (GNU automake) 1.6.1

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>