* Re: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
       [not found] <1025333888.1042.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2002-07-03  0:58 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2002-07-03  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Betreff: Re: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
> Datum: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:07:14 +0200
> Von: "Gerrit P. Haase" <freeweb@nyckelpiga.de>
> An: cygwin@cygwin.com
>
> Bernard schrieb:
>
> > You can change the /cygdrive prefix, but I don't recommend it.
>
> Why?
>
> Gerrit
> --
> =^..^=

Many smaller tools just dumbly expect the /cygdrive prefix.
For example the latest ilisp packages for emacs and xemacs.

cygprefix=`mount --show-cygdrive-prefix | head -n2|tail -n1|cut -f1 -d'
'`
is just too costly.

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/

* Getting /cygdrive in scripts (was Re: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here")
@ 2002-07-03  7:08   ` Dario Alcocer
From: Dario Alcocer @ 2002-07-03  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 07:48:29AM +0000, Reini Urban wrote:
> > Betreff: Re: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
> > Datum: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:07:14 +0200
> > Von: "Gerrit P. Haase" <freeweb@nyckelpiga.de>
> > An: cygwin@cygwin.com
> >
> > Bernard schrieb:
> >
> > > You can change the /cygdrive prefix, but I don't recommend it.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > Gerrit
> > --
> > =^..^=
>
> Many smaller tools just dumbly expect the /cygdrive prefix.
> For example the latest ilisp packages for emacs and xemacs.
>
> cygprefix=`mount --show-cygdrive-prefix | head -n2|tail -n1|cut -f1 -d'
> '`
> is just too costly.

I'm not in front of my Cygwin shell, but wouldn't the following be
better?

    cygprefix=`mount --show-cygdrive-prefix | awk 'NR==2 {print $1}'`

You command line is creating and destroying 4 processes, as opposed to
the above, which only uses two.

--
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
alcocer@helixdigital.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com

* RE: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
       [not found]   ` <NCBBIHCHBLCMLBLOBONKGEPIDAAA.g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.ne t>
@ 2002-06-29 13:00     ` Jonathon M. Merz
From: Jonathon M. Merz @ 2002-06-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>[1] That's bait to get somebody to tell me, "oh yeah, well put this in your
>.whateverrc file and do it in ONE keypress!" ;-)

Well, you asked for it! ;-)

If you enter a line like:

Control-e: "cygstart .\C-M"

into your $HOME/.inputrc file (which may or may not already exist), that
will bind CTRL-e to automatically type "cygstart .<Return>" whenever you
hit it.  Take a look at the readline manpage for more info on
that.  .inputrc is a fun file :-)

-Jon

"If you had a million Shakespeares,
 could they write like a monkey?"
     -- Steven Wright

* RE: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-29  8:12   ` Gary R. Van Sickle
       [not found]   ` <NCBBIHCHBLCMLBLOBONKGEPIDAAA.g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.ne t>
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-06-29  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, that works too, as does "explorer .".  But I say, why walk when you can
ride?  My "x" solution has some definite advantages:

1. Just about the absolute minimum amount of typing possible[1].  "x" is more
than 5 times less typing than "cygstart ."; just imagine how much longer your
fingers are going to last with *five times less* keypunching!
2. In the most common case when you don't specify a path and want the current
directory, no intervening program is executed.  For whatever that's worth.
3. Results in no "why does it say 'cygstart: command not found' when I type
'x'?" issues.
4. I didn't know about cygstart ;-).  Looking at it, it may well be worth
putting it in the 'path given' case, so it'll not only open directories in
explorer, but anything and everything you give it.  Hmmmm, keep an eye out for
"Explorer Here II"....

[1] That's bait to get somebody to tell me, "oh yeah, well put this in your
.whateverrc file and do it in ONE keypress!" ;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Re: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28 15:07       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-06-28 14:16 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-28 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kilroy, David; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

David schrieb:

>> > Just to warn you, the (original) uninstaller doesn't remove
>> _all_ registry
>> > keys (on W2K), so the 'rxvt here' on the menu doesn't go
>> away. I sent Gerrit
>> > an 'update' a while ago which fixed that (but also had some
>> other errors
>> > which I have since fixed). Gerrit may or may not have updated the
>> > distribution...
>> >  The update also allowed you to install (and uninstall)
>> multiple command
>> > shells with the same install package.
>>
>> These updates are pointing in the right direction but they were not
>> exactly what I would like to see.  Also I cannot confirm that
>> I'm having errors on my two boxes (NT4 & W2K).

Oops, sorry (my english needs an update;)

> I meant that I introduced errors in my update, which I have subsequently
> corrected in my own files. I assumed that if you integrated my updates, you
> would notice and correct the (obvious) errors yourself, and not appreciate
> lots of 'and heres another fix' emails.

> As for the updates not being quite what you'd like... well I can't do
> anything about that :)

Hmmm, as I said, they are pointing into the right direction, but I want
it to be 'perfect'.  Unfortunatly I had not that much time but I'll
include your changes and needed fixes ASAP.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* RE: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28 14:06 Kilroy, David
From: Kilroy, David @ 2002-06-28 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gerrit P. Haase'; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Dave.

* Re: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28 13:50     ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-28 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor

Christopher schrieb:

>>one question, my cygwin seems 'chrooted' into c:/cygwin; how do i
>>escape?

> Bribe the guards?

Their names are 'mount --show-cygdrive-prefix'.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* RE: Useful cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28 13:21     ` Bernard A Badger
From: Bernard A Badger @ 2002-06-28 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor is having a joke at your expense,
I _assume_ it's because he feels you need to RTFM before you ask
quite so many questions.   Christopher Faylor is one of the main
contributors, and has no doubt seen way too many questions that
could be answered by a quick look at the FAQ.

To answer your question, anyway, you are not chrooted, but you
are inside a "virtual" file system.  Cygwin tries to make Unix
tools feel "at home", and this necessitates a certain bending of
the file system to Unix conventions.

You can find your "real" drives hidden away in "/cygdrive".
For example, "/cygdrive/c" is your "C:\" drive.  If you don't like this,
check out the mount command.  You can also
ln -s /cygdrive/c /C
which is what I do.

@ 2002-06-28 12:22   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-06-28 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 10:58:06AM -0600, Dave Price wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:45:14AM +0200, BStrohhaecker@Hueller-Hille.com wrote:

Bribe the guards?

cgf

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28 12:11 ` Dave Price
From: Dave Price @ 2002-06-28 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
> FWIW, to open 2 windows inside explorer try 'explorer /e,$XPATH &'.

awesome! windoze gets friendlier by the moment.

one question, my cygwin seems 'chrooted' into c:/cygwin; how do i
escape?

aloha,
dave

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
       [not found]         ` <3D1C353C.80606@wanadoo.fr>
@ 2002-06-28 11:08         ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-06-28 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase, Marc Chantreux; +Cc: cygwin

--- "Gerrit P. Haase" <freeweb@nyckelpiga.de> wrote:
[SNIP]
> The feature of this great package (3kb) is the installer, after
> unpacking you change into thi directory and just call './install' abd
> everything else works automagically.

Gerrit,

Whatever happened to the proposed changes someone contributed to make it
compatible with csh, zsh, etc.?  I thought you were going to integrate
them?

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28 10:45 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-28 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kilroy, David; +Cc: Marc Chantreux, cygwin

@ 2002-06-28 10:20             ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2002-06-28 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit P. Haase; +Cc: cygwin

>>why don't use ~/.Xdefaults ?
>>

>Does this always work (even when calleing without X)?

I don't use Xwindow ... but rxvt is an xwindow app.

>Yes, installation is done via default Windows .inf files so it can be
>unistalled with 'Add/Remove Software' from the settings->control panel.

great ! i really have to understand your script :)

Marc

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
       [not found] <1025237567.25808.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2002-06-28  9:13 ` Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2002-06-28  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> So that's it.  Seems like this would make a good entry in the User Guide,
> maybe
> under "Setting Up Cygwin/Customizing Bash", or maybe it would be good to
> create
> a "Using Cygwin/Useful Cygwinisms" for cygwin-specific tips and tricks like
> this.  David S-B, are you maintaining the User Guide too or just the FAQ?

I think I'm doing the User Guide, slowly. I think this would go great in
the using-utils section, too (under cygpath), so I'll put it there as well.

* RE: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  8:03 Kilroy, David
From: Kilroy, David @ 2002-06-28  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gerrit P. Haase', Marc Chantreux; +Cc: cygwin

> >>Does this enables you to open a shell on folders and on drives?
>
> > not for drives, in fact ...
>
> >>Also with the version at my site you get a startup file in the
> >>cygwin root with a call to rxvt like this:
> >>
> >>rxvt -sr -sl 2500 -fg lightblue -geometry 90x30 -bg
> midnightblue -sb \
> >>  -tn rxvt  -fn "Lucida Console-14" -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i
>

> > why don't use ~/.Xdefaults ?
>
> Does this always work (even when calleing without X)?

Yes, it does. It is what I use (and I don't have X installed)

> > is there an uninstaller ?
>
> Yes, installation is done via default Windows .inf files so it can be
> unistalled with 'Add/Remove Software' from the
> settings->control panel.

Just to warn you, the (original) uninstaller doesn't remove _all_ registry
keys (on W2K), so the 'rxvt here' on the menu doesn't go away. I sent Gerrit
an 'update' a while ago which fixed that (but also had some other errors
which I have since fixed). Gerrit may or may not have updated the
distribution...
 The update also allowed you to install (and uninstall) multiple command
shells with the same install package.

Dave.

* RE: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-06-28  6:02 ` Robert Collins
       [not found]   ` <NCBBIHCHBLCMLBLOBONKGEPIDAAA.g.r.vansickle@worldnet.att.ne t>
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-06-28  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rob

@ 2002-06-28  5:30           ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-28  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Chantreux; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2002-06-28  5:25     ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2002-06-28  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-6-2002 12:13, Marc Chantreux wrote:

>>    cygstart ${1:-.}
>

> can you tell more about this variable ?

$ man bash

  ${parameter:-word}
    Use Default Values. If parameter is unset or null, the expansion of
    word is substituted. Otherwise, the value of parameter is substituted.

 - Michael

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  4:56   ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2002-06-28  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-06-28  3:22       ` Gerrit P. Haase
       [not found]         ` <3D1C353C.80606@wanadoo.fr>
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-28  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Chantreux; +Cc: cygwin

Marc schrieb:

>>http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/CygwinPromptHere/
>>

> Hi,

> I would like to know if there is more feature there than the hack i've
> described
> in my page :

> http://www.metagenia.com/~mchantreux/cygwin.html

> Just :

> $SHELL="/bin/bash"

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Rxvt]
> @="Ouvrir un &Terminal unix"
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Rxvt\command]
> @="d:\\usr\\cygwin\\root\\bin\\rxvt -ls"

Does this enables you to open a shell on folders and on drives?
Also with the version at my site you get a startup file in the
cygwin root with a call to rxvt like this:

rxvt -sr -sl 2500 -fg lightblue -geometry 90x30 -bg midnightblue -sb \
  -tn rxvt  -fn "Lucida Console-14" -e /usr/bin/bash --login -i

I tried several hours to get a rxvt call like this working with an
registry entry without success.  You can modify the installed startup
file to your needs so you can call zsh, tcsh or just bash with it.

@ 2002-06-28  3:17 ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2002-06-28  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28-6-2002 6:06, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

># Easy "Explorer Here" command
>x()
>{
>	if [ "${1}" = "" ];
>	then
>		XPATH=".";
>	else
>		XPATH="$(cygpath -w "${1}")";
>	fi
>	explorer $XPATH &
>}

Easier (and faster), if you have the cygutils package installed:

x()
{
    cygstart ${1:-.}
}

Or, if you prefer the two-pane layout (and haven't set it as the default):

x()
{
    cygstart --explore ${1:-.}
}

 - Michael

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  2:58     ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2002-06-28  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerrit @ cygwin

>http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/CygwinPromptHere/

Hi,

I would like to know if there is more feature there than the hack i've
described
in my page :

http://www.metagenia.com/~mchantreux/cygwin.html

Just :

$SHELL="/bin/bash"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Rxvt]
@="Ouvrir un &Terminal unix"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Rxvt\command]
@="d:\\usr\\cygwin\\root\\bin\\rxvt -ls"

Marc

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  2:56 BStrohhaecker
FWIW, to open 2 windows inside explorer try 'explorer /e,$XPATH &'.

Bernd

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  2:10   ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-06-28  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Price; +Cc: cygwin

Hallo Dave,

> Great tip, but did I miss something; what is "bash here"?

I have a modified version which allows you to open a bash-rxvt
shell from the context sensitive explorer menu (right click on
folder or drive).   Now it can be installed one time and it
works only with bash (no zsh, no tcsh).  Also it is hardcoded
now that bash is opened in a rxvt window which IMO is most
useful (think of Win98 with this unusable command.com prompt).
Some people wanted it to open a cmd propmpt on NT instead of
rxvt.  There were some improvements but I have not included
them yet, no time for testing and the code was not so that I
want to release it.

My version needs manually editng of the shortcut which calls
rxvt & bash in the case you want to open not rxvt and in the
case you take rxvt this can be customized (other colors, other
size, other font, ...).

My version is able to open a shell on every folder, on drives,
also mapped drives, but not on netshares.

Fecth it, unpack it and cd to the dir and call './install' to
see what happens for you:
http://koeln.convey.de/cywgin/CygwinPromptHere/

I use it on W2K which works well, currently on my NT4 box it
isn't working as expected, but my setup here is somewhat messed
up, so it may well be that it works for you.

Gerrit
--
"All faults& bugs are mine - Robert"
    from squid/acinclude.m4,   Sun Apr 21 05:21:21 2002

* Re: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  1:57 ` Dave Price
From: Dave Price @ 2002-06-28  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary R. Van Sickle; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:06:13PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> Ohhoho, can it core a apple!  I have used this constantly for many months and
> it's never let me down yet.  In fact I use it far more often than "Bash Here".

* RE: Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  1:20 ` Gary R. Van Sickle
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-06-28  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The Solution:
> A tiny little alias I like to call "Explorer Here".  Add this little
                ^^^^^
               function

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

* Useful Cygwinism: "Explorer Here"
@ 2002-06-28  1:12 Gary R. Van Sickle
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2002-06-28  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thought I'd share a neat trick with my fellow Cygwinners that I find extremely
useful, but that's maybe not all that obvious to people, and I've never seen it
mentioned.

The Problem:
You're cd'ing around at the bash command prompt, and you come to a directory
that you want to do some complex file/directory manipulations on; say, delete
all files except three.  That'd be a cinch in Windows' Explorer, but would
require all kinds of typing at the bash prompt.  Who has that kind of time in
this workaday world?  Not this soldier!

The Solution:
A tiny little alias I like to call "Explorer Here".  Add this little gem to your
.bash_profile, and wipe that sweat from your brow my friend!:

# Easy "Explorer Here" command
x()
{
	if [ "${1}" = "" ];
	then
		XPATH=".";
	else
		XPATH="$(cygpath -w "${1}")";
	fi
	explorer $XPATH &
}

Now, at the command prompt all you have to do is type "x" and hit enter, and an
explorer box pops up in your current directory!  AND, if you want to you can
specify the path thus "x /posix/path/here"!  PLUS, it doesn't block, mainly
because I can't think of a reason you'd ever want it to.

But Can It Core A Apple?: