* Re: [ANN] cygipc-1.12
@ 2002-07-03 20:49 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-07-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

BTW, cygipc-1.12 passes Robert Collins' ipctest-0.1.2 -- all 12 tests.
(check the ml archives; ipctest was posted several months ago)

--Chuck

From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-07-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

Given the changes in key_t's definition as of cygwin-1.3.11, I've
relased a new version of cygipc, with some major changes.

Because of the key_t change, one can no longer compile IPC programs if
both cygipc-1.11 or older is installed, AND cygwin-1.3.11 or newer is
installed -- they are incompatible.  (However, programs that were
PREVIOUSLY compiled, against cygwin-1.3.10 or older and the old cygipc's
will continue to work properly even with new cygwin kernels).

The daemon is now called ipc-daemon2.exe, so that it can coexist with
the older cygipc daemon.  The new daemon uses *different* files in /tmp.

Old programs (that is, previously compiled) will continue to work -- but
will use ipc-daemon.exe.  Newly compiled programs will use
ipc-daemon2.exe -- but you must compile with cygwin kernel 1.3.11 or newer.

The point: old programs use ipc-daemon.  new programs use ipc-daemon2.
Both will RUN under any cygwin kernel (within reason) -- but if you're
compiling, you must make sure your kernel and cygipc "match" -- old
kernel, old cygipc; new kernel, new cygipc.

See http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/cygipc/

--Chuck

* Re: [ANN] cygipc-1.12
@ 2002-07-03 21:21 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-07-03 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

Never mind.  cygipc-1.12 withdrawn.

As Robert kindly pointed out, key_t hasn't changed yet.

But it was supposed to change as of 1.3.11 -- only it didn't, and I
never noticed 'cause I didn't upgrade...I just assumed that it would
DEFINITELY have changed in 1.3.12, but I really should have checked.
Sorry for the false alarm -- but hey, cygipc-1.13 will be *ready to go*
as soon as key_t DOES change.

--Chuck