* bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-20 19:15 hongxun lee
From: hongxun lee @ 2002-07-20 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your contributions, Cygwin-developers!
Could you pls make the 'select packages'-window (and fonts) bigger
(maximizable) for next release?

Thanks again

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-20 19:27 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-07-20 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 06:20:54PM -0400, hongxun lee wrote:
>Thanks for your contributions, Cygwin-developers!
>Could you pls make the 'select packages'-window (and fonts) bigger
>(maximizable) for next release?

Sigh.

cgf

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-20 23:06   ` Eric Butler
From: Eric Butler @ 2002-07-20 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why not just make it resizeable?
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 06:20:54PM -0400, hongxun lee wrote:
> >Thanks for your contributions, Cygwin-developers!
> >Could you pls make the 'select packages'-window (and fonts) bigger
> >(maximizable) for next release?
>
> Sigh.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-20 23:39     ` Robert Collins
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-20 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Butler; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:57, Eric Butler wrote:
> Why not just make it resizeable?

That's a novel idea. Here's a clue: It's not trivial. Or if it is, Gary
( our win32 gui guru ) doesn't know the necessary bits to twiddle ( and
that would surprise me... I do like surprises if you're able to give me
one here, please do).

It's in the TODO.
It's been discussed as a major nuisance on cygwin-apps quite recently.

So I've a question for you.

Why not contribute?

Rob

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-21  2:23       ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-21  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: cygwin

Rob,

At 19:03 2002-07-20, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:57, Eric Butler wrote:
> > Why not just make it resizeable?
>
>That's a novel idea. Here's a clue: It's not trivial. ...
>
>It's in the TODO.
>It's been discussed as a major nuisance on cygwin-apps quite recently.
>
>So I've a question for you.
>
>Why not contribute?

'Cause he's mean.

It's catching.

>Rob

Randall

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-21  2:29         ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 12:52, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Rob,
>
> At 19:03 2002-07-20, Robert Collins wrote:
> >On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:57, Eric Butler wrote:
> > > Why not just make it resizeable?
> >
> >That's a novel idea. Here's a clue: It's not trivial. ...
> >
> >It's in the TODO.
> >It's been discussed as a major nuisance on cygwin-apps quite recently.
> >
> >So I've a question for you.
> >
> >Why not contribute?
>

> 'Cause he's mean.

Snort!. That there's our line!

Rob

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-21  3:15       ` Eric Butler
From: Eric Butler @ 2002-07-21  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry, I'm not a C++ guy or I would.
> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:57, Eric Butler wrote:
> > Why not just make it resizeable?
>
> That's a novel idea. Here's a clue: It's not trivial. Or if it is, Gary
> ( our win32 gui guru ) doesn't know the necessary bits to twiddle ( and
> that would surprise me... I do like surprises if you're able to give me
> one here, please do).
>
> It's in the TODO.
> It's been discussed as a major nuisance on cygwin-apps quite recently.
>
> So I've a question for you.
>
> Why not contribute?
>
> Rob
>

> --

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-21 20:56       ` Nils Boeffel
From: Nils Boeffel @ 2002-07-21 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 11:57, Eric Butler wrote:
>>Why not just make it resizeable?
>
> That's a novel idea. Here's a clue: It's not trivial. Or if it is, Gary
> ( our win32 gui guru ) doesn't know the necessary bits to twiddle ( and
> that would surprise me... I do like surprises if you're able to give me
> one here, please do).
>
> It's in the TODO.
> It's been discussed as a major nuisance on cygwin-apps quite recently.

There are two comments to this.

1. I had the same complaint until I discovered /usr/bin/rxvt.exe
(category: shells) which works beautifully for me and is resizable.  I
still haven't figured out how to use a different font (I can resize
fixed, but don't know where to find other fonts that are installed) and
can't figure out how to paste using only a two button mouse.
Suggestions, anyone?  Other than that, it's great.  Documenting this in
the FAQ would be good since I assume this complaint is common.

2. If you need an example of how to make a windows app resizable, I'd
suggest looking at the putty source code (google: putty homepage
download).  I use it for all my telnet/ssh'ing from windows, and it
works great.  That might make the task easier if someone wants to tackle it.

Cygwin's really made my forced windows exile much more bearable, and
with rxvt, even pleasant.  Now if I could only find a decent VWM (that
works with XP)...

Regards,
Nils.

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-21 21:02         ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-21 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Boeffel; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 11:36, Nils Boeffel wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> There are two comments to this.
>
> 1. I had the same complaint until I discovered /usr/bin/rxvt.exe
> (category: shells) which works beautifully for me and is resizable.  I
> still haven't figured out how to use a different font (I can resize
> fixed, but don't know where to find other fonts that are installed) and
> can't figure out how to paste using only a two button mouse.
> Suggestions, anyone?  Other than that, it's great.  Documenting this in
> the FAQ would be good since I assume this complaint is common.

You didn't have the same complaint - rxvt is for use when cygwin is
fully installed, the complaint in question is the size of the setup.exe
windows, which are used to perform the installation.

> 2. If you need an example of how to make a windows app resizable, I'd
> suggest looking at the putty source code (google: putty homepage
> download).  I use it for all my telnet/ssh'ing from windows, and it
> works great.  That might make the task easier if someone wants to tackle it.

Thanks for the hint. However, I do know how to make resizable windows.
The problem isn't simply resizing a single window - it's scaling out all
the elements on this particular window in a sane fashion - for all of
the setup.exe dialog windows, within the framework of the MS
tabbed/paged dialog, on the fly. Putty is trivial by comparison, by it's
very nature.

Cheers,
Rob

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-21 21:03           ` Nils Boeffel
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Nils Boeffel @ 2002-07-21 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins; +Cc: cygwin

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 11:36, Nils Boeffel wrote:
>>Robert Collins wrote:
>>There are two comments to this.
>>
>>1. I had the same complaint until I discovered /usr/bin/rxvt.exe
>>(category: shells) which works beautifully for me and is resizable.  I
>>still haven't figured out how to use a different font (I can resize
>>fixed, but don't know where to find other fonts that are installed) and
>>can't figure out how to paste using only a two button mouse.
>>Suggestions, anyone?  Other than that, it's great.  Documenting this in
>>the FAQ would be good since I assume this complaint is common.
>

> You didn't have the same complaint - rxvt is for use when cygwin is
> fully installed, the complaint in question is the size of the setup.exe
> windows, which are used to perform the installation.

Ah. Sorry.  Guess that's what happens when you read threads in reverse
chronological order :)  I thought you were talking about the resizing of
the cygwin shell and not the install window.

Does anyone have suggestions about my rxvt cut-n-paste or font question
above?  I didn't see it in the list archives.

Thanks,
Nils.

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-21 22:10             ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-21 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Nils,

The man page answers the font question. "Rxvt -help" will do in a pinch
(note: "rxvt --help" gives different information, not option help).

Why have a two-button mouse?

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 19:05 2002-07-21, Nils Boeffel wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions about my rxvt cut-n-paste or font question
>above?  I didn't see it in the list archives.
>
>Thanks,
>Nils.

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-22  0:06               ` Nils Boeffel
From: Nils Boeffel @ 2002-07-22  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Nils,
>
> The man page answers the font question. "Rxvt -help" will do in a pinch
> (note: "rxvt --help" gives different information, not option help).

Did that but I can't see where to look for a list of installed fonts.  I
just came across /usr/doc/Cygwin/rxvt*.README and it has some font
suggestions in there, but they don't work.  Using Lucinda gives me the
right font and height, but the width is enormous: the character width is
OK but the space between them is about 5 times what it should be.  Any
ideas on this?

The impression I get is that the font doesn't exist; giving -fn
"courier-16" works fine.

> Why have a two-button mouse?

That's what the laptop has with it's touchpad...

Nils.

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-22  0:16             ` Michael Hoffman
From: Michael Hoffman @ 2002-07-22  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Nils Boeffel wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions about my rxvt cut-n-paste or font question
> above?  I didn't see it in the list archives.

To paste, use Shift-Insert or Ctrl-Mouse-1 (left button). There is also
information in the archives and on the web about how to set some other key
(i.e. just Insert.)
--
Michael Hoffman <grouse@mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-22  1:53             ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-07-22  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Boeffel; +Cc: cygwin

--- Nils Boeffel <nils.boeffel@alumni.insead.edu> wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions about my rxvt cut-n-paste or font question
> above?  I didn't see it in the list archives.

That's strange, it was discussed a few times in the past...  But then
again, I never really did like ht://Dig in the first place.  Since your
font question was answered, here is how to cut&paste:

1)There is no "cutting" from the rxvt window, however if you use the left
mouse button to highlight the text, it will be automatically copied to the
windows clipboard.

2)Pasting to rxvt is easy as pie with a two button mouse.  Just hold shift
and press the left mouse button once.  It will paste the contents of the
clipboard to the terminal.  Two caveats:

A)The more text there is to be pasted, the longer it will take for it to
appear, so be patient.

B)Do not paste more than half of a page of text at a time, otherwise you
run the risk of locking up rxvt.  This will vary based on your os, so
YMMV.

Cheers,
Nicholas

* RE: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-22  2:22               ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-07-22  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Nicholas Wourms', 'Nils Boeffel'; +Cc: cygwin

Or you can read the contents of /dev/clipboard into your current editor,
and avoid this issue. HOW to do that is left as an exercise.

Rob

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-24 11:10           ` news
From: news @ 2002-07-24 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 22 Jul 2002, Robert Collins <robert.collins@syncretize.net>
wrote:

> I do know how to make
> resizable windows. The problem isn't simply resizing a
> single window - it's scaling out all the elements on this
> particular window in a sane fashion

You might like to look at
http://www.codeguru.com/dialog/Geometry.shtml or more
generally the "Resizable Dialogs" section of
http://www.codeguru.com/dialog/index.shtml. Yes, most if not
all of the examples are MFC but since MFC does not do anything
that is not possible via the Win32 API this should not be a
problem. I can guess what you are going to say next, but I
suggest that you see
<5.1.0.14.2.20020720195035.01f898c0@pop3.cris.com> for my
response.

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-22  0:48 ` Nils Boeffel
From: Nils Boeffel @ 2002-07-22  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz; +Cc: cygwin

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Nils,
>
> Stick to monospaced fonts. I like "Lucida Console" in both RXVT and in
> the console window.

*THWAP!* "Lucida" != "Lucinda".  -fn "Lucida Console-14" works great.
Don't ask me where the name "Lucinda" comes from...

Thanks.
Nils.

* Re: bigger window pls
@ 2002-07-22  0:25 Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-07-22  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 20:56 2002-07-21, you wrote:
>Randall R Schulz wrote:
>>Nils,
>>The man page answers the font question. "Rxvt -help" will do in a pinch
>>(note: "rxvt --help" gives different information, not option help).
>
>Did that but I can't see where to look for a list of installed fonts.  I
>just came across /usr/doc/Cygwin/rxvt*.README and it has some font
>suggestions in there, but they don't work.  Using Lucinda gives me the
>right font and height, but the width is enormous: the character width is
>OK but the space between them is about 5 times what it should be.  Any
>ideas on this?
>
>The impression I get is that the font doesn't exist; giving -fn
>"courier-16" works fine.
>

>>Why have a two-button mouse?
>
>That's what the laptop has with it's touchpad...
>
>Nils.

Randy