* Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-22 13:24 radc4
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: radc4 @ 2002-08-22 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Heres the environment:
Win 98, cygwin-b20, make 3.75, DOS shell

Whenever I try to run make in a DOS shell, I get several
"Bad command or file name" errors. I discovered that I was
getting this error only for commands that are also part of
the standard DOS (command.com) library. This does not appear
to be a path problem since all non-DOS commands work fine.
Also, I am able to run the same DOS command outside of make.

Scenario:
If I place a "mkdir xxx" in the the makefile and run make,
I get the mentioned error. However, I can run that same
command at the DOS prompt, and it works fine. If I go to the
cygwin bin directory, rename mkdir.exe to mkdir_test.exe,
then adjust the makefile to contain "mkdir_test xxx",
everything will work.

So, is it possible that make.exe is not looking outside the
DOS command shell for commands that are part of the standard
DOS library? But, it works for all other commands that are
in the PATH?

I have tried setting my PATH so that the cygwin/bin
directory is first, this does not help. This same
environment works fine on Win 2000. Any help would be
appreciated... Thanks.

* Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-22 13:41 ` Soren A
From: Soren A @ 2002-08-22 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Since you bothered to post twice...

<radc4@cox-internet.com> wrote around 22 Aug 2002
news:20020822183340.SKQW13865.fe1@localhost about %s:

> Hi,
>
> Heres the environment:
> Win 98, cygwin-b20, make 3.75, DOS shell

Get a recent Cygwin release, not an ancient, outdated beta version.

> Whenever I try to run make in a DOS shell, I get several
> "Bad command or file name" errors.

Cygwin tools are meant to be used in a *cygwin* shell. What you are
calling a "DOS" shell is not cygwin bash, or if it is, you need to
understand what is going on so that you can name and describe it
clearly. On Win98, the default, native shell (command interpreter) is
named "COMMAND.COM". Is this what you are using? If so, please stop
before you hurt yourself.

{snip}
> So, is it possible that make.exe is not looking outside the
> DOS command shell for commands that are part of the standard
> DOS library? But, it works for all other commands that are
> in the PATH?

There is nothing wrong with cygwin `make'. First of all, please disabuse
yourself of the notion that a difficulty which is arising from a
fundamental lack of knowledge about how to run procedures in Cygwin's
working environment (shell), is happening because of a bug in `make'.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/cygwin-ug-net.html

Also, please realize (for background perspective) that using Cygwin on
Win98 is "not really" supported. It isn't the professional development
platform / environment on which most Cygwin enthusiasts work; it is a
buggy, deeply unstable OS with too much cruft in it for long-term use.
*I* use it, however. For the time being.

> I have tried setting my PATH so that the cygwin/bin
> directory is first, this does not help. This same
> environment works fine on Win 2000. Any help would be
> appreciated... Thanks.

Post exactly what your PATH is when *in* the Cygwin shell, once you've
done the reading above and are sure you understand what shell you are
running.

I'd also recommend that you (Google, not here) learn about the
differences (distinction) between the command.com shell on Win9x and the
CMD.exe shell supplied with all Windows NT and derivative OSs (W2K).

I also run Cygwin on Win98 and have for years. I use `make' all the time
and so you can believe me when I tell you that the wrong tree is being
barked up. ;-)

   HTH,
    Soren A

* Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-22 23:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-08-22 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: radc4

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 01:33:40PM -0500, radc4@cox-internet.com wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Heres the environment:
>Win 98, cygwin-b20, make 3.75, DOS shell

You should definitely update your cygwin version and make sure
that you select the "Devel" part of the install so that you
can include a new version of make (and gcc, probably).

>Whenever I try to run make in a DOS shell, I get several
>"Bad command or file name" errors. I discovered that I was
>getting this error only for commands that are also part of
>the standard DOS (command.com) library. This does not appear
>to be a path problem since all non-DOS commands work fine.
>Also, I am able to run the same DOS command outside of make.
>
>Scenario:
>If I place a "mkdir xxx" in the the makefile and run make,
>I get the mentioned error. However, I can run that same
>command at the DOS prompt, and it works fine. If I go to the
>cygwin bin directory, rename mkdir.exe to mkdir_test.exe,
>then adjust the makefile to contain "mkdir_test xxx",
>everything will work.

"mkdir" is a cygwin command (.exe file) and a "DOS" built-in
command.  It sounds like you don't have the mkdir program in
your PATH which would indicate that you don't have the cygwin
"/bin" directory in your path.  Or, maybe that's not how B20
did things.  I don't remember anymore.  It's almost four years
old.

>is it possible that make.exe is not looking outside the
>DOS command shell for commands that are part of the standard
>DOS library? But, it works for all other commands that are
>in the PATH?

>I have tried setting my PATH so that the cygwin/bin
>directory is first, this does not help.

Is there a "mkdir.exe" in the cygwin/bin directory?  If not,
that's your problem.  You shouldn't be trying to run "DOS"
commands if you can help it.  However, if you really have
no choice but to do so, then something like:

foo: bar
	command /c mkdir foo

*may* work.  I don't recall if there are issues with running
the command shell from cygwin B20.

I would REALLY recommend updating to a later version.  Especially
if you want to get support here.  B20 is *old*.

cgf

* Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-23  6:00 ` Johan Bezem
From: Johan Bezem @ 2002-08-23  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radc4; +Cc: cygwin

Don't expect much: -b20 is ancient, as is make 3.75.
Goto www.cygwin.com and reinstall first.

Ciao,

Johan Bezem
CSK Software AG

@ 2002-08-25 16:26   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-08-25 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
[SNIP]
>> I would REALLY recommend updating to a later version.  Especially
> if you want to get support here.  B20 is *old*.

Will B20 ever die?

Cheers,
Nicholas

* Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-25 16:35     ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-08-25 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, cygwin

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:26:37 -0700 (PDT) Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> >> I would REALLY recommend updating to a later version.  Especially
> > if you want to get support here.  B20 is *old*.
>
> Will B20 ever die?

Of course not, everything worked better then.

--
Mac :})
Ask Smarter: http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

* Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-25 16:47       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-08-25 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 04:34:55PM -0700, Michael A Chase wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 16:26:37 -0700 (PDT) Nicholas Wourms <nwourms@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> --- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>> [SNIP]
>>
>>Will B20 ever die?
>
>Of course not, everything worked better then.

It's entirely possible that we weren't even so mean back then.

cgf

* Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-26 13:07     ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2002-08-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-08-26 16:51       ` Jon Cast
From: Jon Cast @ 2002-08-26 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Shankar Unni <shankar@cotagesoft.com> wrote:
> Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>
> > Will B20 ever die?
>
> One more illustration of the need for timebombs in Betas..

What good would a timebomb in a Free Beta do?

> --
> Shankar.

Jon Cast

* Re: Problems with GNU make.exe on win98 (reformatted)
@ 2002-08-26 17:27         ` Michael A Chase
From: Michael A Chase @ 2002-08-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Cast, cygwin

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:56:25 -0500 Jon Cast <jcast@ou.edu> wrote:

> Shankar Unni <shankar@cotagesoft.com> wrote:
> > Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> >
> > > Will B20 ever die?
> >
> > One more illustration of the need for timebombs in Betas..
>
> What good would a timebomb in a Free Beta do?

Encourage people to upgrade to the non-beta version within a couple years
of its release.