* Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-11-27 21:55 Raghav
From: Raghav @ 2002-11-27 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is working
without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for about 3
minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if I have
logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my machine,
Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-11-28  5:20 ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-28  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Raghav wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
> inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
> passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is
> working
> without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for
> about 3
> minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if
> I have
> logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my
> machine,
> Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
> nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
> might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?

I have the same identical problem since 1.3.13 or maybe 1.3.12.
But I have not been able to track down the causes.
On October 14th I posted this message:

@ 2002-11-28  5:51   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-11-28  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:55:13PM +0100, Danilo Turina wrote:
> Raghav wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
> >inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
> >passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is
> >working
> >without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for
> >about 3
> >minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if
> >I have
> >logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my
> >machine,
> >Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
> >nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
> >might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?
>
> I have the same identical problem since 1.3.13 or maybe 1.3.12.
> But I have not been able to track down the causes.
> On October 14th I posted this message:
> [...]

Network paths in the system PATH variable?

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-11-28  5:55     ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-28  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:55:13PM +0100, Danilo Turina wrote:
>
>>Raghav wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
>>>inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
>>>passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is
>>>working
>>>without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for
>>>about 3
>>>minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if
>>>I have
>>>logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my
>>>machine,
>>>Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
>>>nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
>>>might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?
>>
>>I have the same identical problem since 1.3.13 or maybe 1.3.12.
>>But I have not been able to track down the causes.
>>On October 14th I posted this message:
>>[...]
>

> Network paths in the system PATH variable?
>
> Corinna

No, my PATH only contains directories in C:
The only thing that could interfere is a NFS Client (FTP Software's
InterDrive 5.0) that I suspect also causes some crashes of Explorer.
Unfortunately there's no easy way to stop its services to try if the
problem goes away without it.

Ciao,

		Danilo

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt
@ 2002-11-28  5:57       ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-28  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:55:13PM +0100, Danilo Turina wrote:
>
>>Raghav wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
>>>inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
>>>passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is
>>>working
>>>without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for
>>>about 3
>>>minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if
>>>I have
>>>logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my
>>>machine,
>>>Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
>>>nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
>>>might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?
>>
>>I have the same identical problem since 1.3.13 or maybe 1.3.12.
>>But I have not been able to track down the causes.
>>On October 14th I posted this message:
>>[...]
>

> Network paths in the system PATH variable?
>
> Corinna

No, my PATH only contains directories in C:
The only thing that could interfere is a NFS Client (FTP Software's
InterDrive 5.0) that I suspect also causes some crashes of Explorer.
Unfortunately there's no easy way to stop its services to try if the
problem goes away without it.

Ciao,

		Danilo

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt (SOLVED)
@ 2002-11-29  4:39     ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-29  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:55:13PM +0100, Danilo Turina wrote:
>
>>Raghav wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>	I have installed cygwin 1.3.16 on my win2k workstation. I have installed
>>>inetd as a service and am running it as localsystem. I have created
>>>passwd/group files for local users only, not domain users. rlogin is
>>>working
>>>without any problem. But if I try to telnet my machine, it hangs for
>>>about 3
>>>minutes or so before giving me the login prompt. This happens only if
>>>I have
>>>logged into the domain. Even if i remove the network cable from my
>>>machine,
>>>Prompt will appear quickly. There is no problem with reverse dns lookup --
>>>nslookup works fine both for forward and reverse lookups. Any clue what
>>>might be wrong? or is it a bug in telnetd?
>>
>>I have the same identical problem since 1.3.13 or maybe 1.3.12.
>>But I have not been able to track down the causes.
>>On October 14th I posted this message:
>>[...]
>

> Network paths in the system PATH variable?
>
> Corinna

I uninstalled InterDrive 5.0 by FTP Software (a NFS client) and now all
works flawlessly.

Now I only have to find a better NFS client...

* Re: Telnetd hangs for a while before giving login prompt (SOLVED)
@ 2002-11-29  4:49       ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2002-11-29  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin