* Re: Postgresql build fails ...
       [not found] <3DF46EBE.8020000@abovenet.de>
@ 2002-12-09 10:22 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-12-09 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Harren; +Cc: Cygwin

Stephan,

Please post instead of sending private email.

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 11:21:50AM +0100, Stephan Harren wrote:
> I read your following answer in a newsgroup and i do have the same
> problem as the poster of the question.
>
> Would it be possible for you to send me this patch?

This patch has been obviated by the PostgreSQL 7.3 release:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-12/msg00003.html

which was indicated below...

> Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,
>
> Stephan
>
> ---snip---
> Yes.
>
> To build PostgreSQL 7.2.3 under gcc2, use the following procedure:
>
>     1. apply attached postgresql-7.2.3-gcc2.patch
>        $ patch -p1 <postgresql-7.2.3-gcc2.patch
>
>     2. define CC and LDFLAGS as appropriate on configure command line:
>        $ CC=gcc-2 LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib configure ...
>
> To build PostgreSQL 7.2.3 under gcc (i.e gcc 3.2), use the following
> procedure:
>
>     1. apply attached postgresql-7.2.3-gcc3.patch
>        $ patch -p1 <postgresql-7.2.3-gcc3.patch
>
>     2. define LDFLAGS as appropriate on configure command line:
>        $ LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib configure ...
>
> Note:
>
>     1. PostgreSQL CVS (i.e., 7.3) builds OOTB under Cygwin CVS (i.e.,
                               ^^^
                               ***

>        1.3.16) and Perl 5.8.0.

Specifically, above.

>     2. PostgreSQL 7.2.3's plperl fails to build (against Perl 5.6.1)
>        with either the latest gcc2 or gcc.  I do not intend to track
>        this issue down.

BTW, can you use the pre-built package?

Jason

* Re: Postgresql build fails ...
@ 2002-12-10  0:27   ` Stephan Harren
From: Stephan Harren @ 2002-12-10  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

No, I just need the client libraries to build the DBD-PG module, which I
cannot find in the pre-built package. Hope to find them after compiling
the sources. Do you have any experience on this?

Best regards,

Stephan

--
Stephan Harren
Manager Site Operations

* Re: Postgresql build fails ...
@ 2002-12-10  6:51   ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2002-12-10  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Stephan,

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:29:41AM +0100, Stephan Harren wrote:
> May I use this DBD::PG without cygwin?

No, if you want a Win32 libpq, then you will have to build it yourself.
Note that you may need MSVC to accomplish this -- unless, someone has
added Mingw support.

Jason

* Re: Postgresql build fails ...
@ 2002-12-10  1:02 ` Stephan Harren
From: Stephan Harren @ 2002-12-10  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

May I use this DBD::PG without cygwin? I'm asking, because I want to
make an exe-file out of the perl-script, and perl2exe will include DBD
and postgres-libs but I don't think that it will also include the
cygwin-libs.

Best regards and thanks a lot,

Stephan

--
Stephan Harren
Manager Site Operations

* Re: Postgresql build fails ...
@ 2002-12-10  0:47 Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2002-12-10  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephan Harren; +Cc: cygwin

Hi,

You've got what you need to compile DBD::PG with /bin/pq.dll. You may have to synlink but I can't remember what the prefix is. Try:

$ ln -s /bin/pq.dll /bin/cygpq.dll

The above name may be wrong, check the list archives, but we've been using the DBD::PG mod at work since I started with cygwin (a year ago) so it does work the postgres on cygwin...

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk