nhv@cape.com wrote: > Christopher Faylor wrote: >>On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:32:16AM -0500, Norman Vine wrote: >>>Any 'tips' as to how to best debug this appreciated >> >>- Attach to the hung process with gdb and see where it is hung. >> >>- Provide cygcheck output. >> >>- Run under strace and see if you can infer where hangs or problems >> are occurring. The hung process (sed) is actually not hung, but connected to stdin instead of file. The root cause is that when config.status is processed by bash, then sometimes `` construct forgets all output, causing different generated file names to be empty, thus connecting sed to stdin instead of some file. Following command line reproduces the bug for me: while true; do test "`echo foo`" = "foo" || echo failed; done When this command is run inside bash, then "failed" lines appear quite regularly. The bug is reproducible only with /bin/bash, /bin/sh works reliably. Pavel P.S. I'm leaving today, I won't answer emails till January 6th, sorry..