* Running Cygwin's "setup.exe" on a new computer
@ 2015-09-01 12:50 Dr Rainer Woitok
From: Dr Rainer Woitok @ 2015-09-01 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings,

having installed Cygwin on my old computer  it's now time to move to new
hardware.   Are there any  Cygwin configuration  or status files I could
copy from the old box  to the new one  which would cause  "setup.exe" on
the new machine to automatically install the same packages as on the old
computer (except for version changes or new dependencies)?

One minor additional problem perhaps:  the old box is 32 bit,  while the
new one is 64 bit.

Any help welcome.

Sincerely,
  Rainer

PS:  Please also reply  by personal mail  as I am not  subscribed to the
Cygwin mailing list.

* Re: Running Cygwin's "setup.exe" on a new computer
@ 2015-09-01 13:57 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-09-01 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Rainer.Woitok

On 01/09/2015 14:50, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> having installed Cygwin on my old computer  it's now time to move to new
> hardware.   Are there any  Cygwin configuration  or status files I could
> copy from the old box  to the new one  which would cause  "setup.exe" on
> the new machine to automatically install the same packages as on the old
> computer (except for version changes or new dependencies)?
>
> One minor additional problem perhaps:  the old box is 32 bit,  while the
> new one is 64 bit.
>
> Any help welcome.
>
> Sincerely,
>    Rainer
>
> PS:  Please also reply  by personal mail  as I am not  subscribed to the
> Cygwin mailing list.

something like this should work

$ cygcheck -cd |  awk 'BEGIN{printf("setup-x86_64.exe ")} {if (NR>2) {
printf ("-P " $1 " ") }} END { printf ("\r\n pause ")}' >
cyg-install-x86_64.bat

$ chmod +x cyg-install-x86_64.bat

Of course copy the "cyg-install-x86_64.bat" where the
"setup-x86_64.exe" is on the new computer.

Regards
Marco

* Re: Running Cygwin's "setup.exe" on a new computer
@ 2015-09-02  7:17 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-09-02  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> having installed Cygwin on my old computer  it's now time to move to new
> hardware.   Are there any  Cygwin configuration  or status files I could
> copy from the old box  to the new one  which would cause  "setup.exe" on
> the new machine to automatically install the same packages as on the old
> computer (except for version changes or new dependencies)?

You can drop /etc/setup/installed.db into the new installation directory and
make them all "outdated":

sed -i.bak -re 's/^(.+) .+ 0$/\1 \1-0-0.tar.bz 0/' /etc/setup/installed.db

Running setup on this will then "update" all these packages.  It will
complain about the missing package lst.gz files of course, but you can
ignore that.

> One minor additional problem perhaps:  the old box is 32 bit,  while the
> new one is 64 bit.

There's only a handful of packages left where that makes a difference.

> PS:  Please also reply  by personal mail  as I am not  subscribed to the
> Cygwin mailing list.

No can do via Gmane and the list is set up specificaly to prevent this
anyway.  In general, if you do indeed care about the answers you can always
check Gmane or the mailing list archives.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Running Cygwin's "setup.exe" on a new computer
@ 2015-09-02 10:54   ` Dr Rainer Woitok
From: Dr Rainer Woitok @ 2015-09-02 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Atzeri; +Cc: cygwin

Marco,

On Tuesday, 2015-09-01 15:57:03 +0200, you wrote:

> $ cygcheck -cd |  awk 'BEGIN{printf("setup-x86_64.exe ")} {if (NR>2) {
> printf ("-P " $1 " ") }} END { printf ("\r\n pause ")}' > cyg-install-x86_64.bat

Even if I slightly compress the command line created that way by using a
single "-P" option  followed by the  string of  comma separated  package
names, I end up with a command line consisting of some 16700 characters!
I'm not at  all sure how Windows  and/or "setup-x86*.exe" would react to
that.

Besides,  since "cygcheck" apparently  finds the relevant information in
some file, and "setup-x86*.exe"  apparently finds the relevant informat-
ion in some file, too,  it would perhaps  be way easier to  just provide
the correct file in the correct location on the new machine.

Any ideas along these lines, anybody?

Sincerely,
  Rainer

* Re: Running Cygwin's "setup.exe" on a new computer
@ 2015-09-02 12:06     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-09-02 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr Rainer Woitok; +Cc: cygwin

On 02/09/2015 12:53, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> Marco,
>
> On Tuesday, 2015-09-01 15:57:03 +0200, you wrote:

>> $ cygcheck -cd |  awk 'BEGIN{printf("setup-x86_64.exe ")} {if (NR>2) {
>> printf ("-P " $1 " ") }} END { printf ("\r\n pause ")}' > cyg-install-x86_64.bat
>
> Even if I slightly compress the command line created that way by using a
> single "-P" option  followed by the  string of  comma separated  package
> names, I end up with a command line consisting of some 16700 characters!
> I'm not at  all sure how Windows  and/or "setup-x86*.exe" would react to
> that.

My W7 64bit had no complain for 23004 byte line

;-)

@ 2015-09-03 14:24       ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-09-03 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 2, 2015, at 6:06 AM, Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> wrote:

> My W7 64bit had no complain for 23004 byte line

It should go to 32 kB:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3205027/maximum-length-of-command-line-string