* Questions about Cygwin's "jar" command
@ 2003-06-22 18:02 David M. Karr
From: David M. Karr @ 2003-06-22 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A few updates to Cygwin ago (both at work and home), I noticed that there is
now a "jar" executable in "/usr/bin".  I see from the "-V" option that it is
something called "fastjar".  When I use it for viewing jar contents, it works
just as well as the "jar" from my Java distribution.  However, when I use it to
extract files from a jar, it often fails after extracting the first couple of
files (I can't remember the error messages right now).  I end up having to
manually specify the path to the "jar" in my Java distribution, or use Winzip.

Short of fixing these problems in the Cygwin "jar", what's the correct way to
remove it?  It doesn't appear to be in a separate Cygwin package, so I guess I
can't use Cygwin setup to "uninstall" it.  I tried removing "/usr/bin/jar", but
"rm" says "No such file or directory".

If it matters, I'm on Cygwin 1.3.14 at home, and a newer release at work.  I
see this problem in both places.

* Re: Questions about Cygwin's "jar" command
@ 2003-06-22 19:43 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2003-06-22 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David M. Karr; +Cc: cygwin

David M. Karr wrote:

> A few updates to Cygwin ago (both at work and home), I noticed that there is
> now a "jar" executable in "/usr/bin".  I see from the "-V" option that it is
> something called "fastjar".  When I use it for viewing jar contents, it works
> just as well as the "jar" from my Java distribution.  However, when I use it to
> extract files from a jar, it often fails after extracting the first couple of
> files (I can't remember the error messages right now).  I end up having to
> manually specify the path to the "jar" in my Java distribution, or use Winzip.
>
> Short of fixing these problems in the Cygwin "jar", what's the correct way to
> remove it?

rm /usr/bin/jar.exe

>It doesn't appear to be in a separate Cygwin package, so I guess I
> can't use Cygwin setup to "uninstall" it.

Right, unless you don't want gcc, which is the package it comes with.

>I tried removing "/usr/bin/jar", but
> "rm" says "No such file or directory".

See above.

> If it matters, I'm on Cygwin 1.3.14 at home, and a newer release at work.  I
> see this problem in both places.

Not AFAICS.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Distribute gcc minus gcj? (was Re: Questions about Cygwin's "jar" command)
@ 2003-06-23 18:59   ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-06-23 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Larry Hall wrote:

 > David M. Karr wrote:
>> It doesn't appear to be in a separate Cygwin package, so I guess I
>> can't use Cygwin setup to "uninstall" it.
> Right, unless you don't want gcc, which is the package it comes with.

Is there any way we can persuade cgf to build the gcc distribution
without "jar.exe" (i.e. exclude gcj, which is still a pretty immature
component of the family)?

Not that this is terribly bothersome (I just put the Sun Java SDK in
front of cygwin in my $PATH), but I wonder how many people actually use
gcj for their real(TM) work (vs the Sun JDK).. (I suspect the number's
still vanishingly small, and those who do are quite capable of building
their own distribution anyway).
--
Shankar.

* Re: Distribute gcc minus gcj? (was Re: Questions about Cygwin's "jar" command)
@ 2003-06-23 20:36     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) @ 2003-06-23 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankar Unni; +Cc: cygwin

Shankar Unni wrote:

> Larry Hall wrote:
>
>  > David M. Karr wrote:
>
>>> It doesn't appear to be in a separate Cygwin package, so I guess I
>>> can't use Cygwin setup to "uninstall" it.
>>
>> Right, unless you don't want gcc, which is the package it comes with.
>

> Is there any way we can persuade cgf to build the gcc distribution
> without "jar.exe" (i.e. exclude gcj, which is still a pretty immature
> component of the family)?

I know I shouldn't answer a question with a question but you intend this
to be rhetorical, right?

Never mind.  I'll bite.  If you or someone else is interested in providing
a gcj package, I expect Chris would work with that person to avoid any
package clash.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: Distribute gcc minus gcj? (was Re: Questions about Cygwin's "jar" command)
@ 2003-06-23 21:40       ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-06-23 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall; +Cc: cygwin

Larry Hall wrote:

> I know I shouldn't answer a question with a question but you
> intend this to be rhetorical, right?
>
> Never mind.  I'll bite.  If you or someone else is interested
> in providing a gcj package, I expect Chris would work with that
> person to avoid any package clash.

No, that wasn't what I meant. I was simply asking if it was possible for
(and acceptable to) cgf to drop "gcj" from the gcc package. (I.e. not
provide it at all).

What I said was that *if* there was some cygwin user who actually was going
to use gcj for something "real"(TM), they would also be able to build it for
themselves. (I.e. I'm asserting that dropping gcj is not going to cause
anyone any major heartburn).
--

@ 2003-06-23 22:16         ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2003-06-23 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shankar Unni; +Cc: cygwin

Shankar Unni wrote:

> Larry Hall wrote:
>

>>I know I shouldn't answer a question with a question but you
>>intend this to be rhetorical, right?
>>
>>Never mind.  I'll bite.  If you or someone else is interested
>>in providing a gcj package, I expect Chris would work with that
>>person to avoid any package clash.
>

> No, that wasn't what I meant. I was simply asking if it was possible for
> (and acceptable to) cgf to drop "gcj" from the gcc package. (I.e. not
> provide it at all).
>
> What I said was that *if* there was some cygwin user who actually was going
> to use gcj for something "real"(TM), they would also be able to build it for
> themselves. (I.e. I'm asserting that dropping gcj is not going to cause
> anyone any major heartburn).

Of course, all of this is Chris's decision however, since gcj was added in
response to requests, I don't think it can be removed without some amount
of noise on this list about it's disappearence.  So I'm not sure your
assertion holds, assuming the email archives on this subject are any
inidication.  I think the logical next step would be to make gcj a
package, which is the approach Chris recommended IIRC.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Distribute gcc minus gcj? (was Re: Questions about Cygwin's "jar" command)
@ 2003-06-24  0:10         ` Markus Schönhaber
From: Markus Schönhaber @ 2003-06-24  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Shankar Unni wrote:
> Larry Hall wrote:
>

>>I know I shouldn't answer a question with a question but you
>>intend this to be rhetorical, right?
>>
>>Never mind.  I'll bite.  If you or someone else is interested
>>in providing a gcj package, I expect Chris would work with that
>>person to avoid any package clash.
>

> No, that wasn't what I meant. I was simply asking if it was possible for
> (and acceptable to) cgf to drop "gcj" from the gcc package. (I.e. not
> provide it at all).
>
> What I said was that *if* there was some cygwin user who actually was going
> to use gcj for something "real"(TM), they would also be able to build it for
> themselves. (I.e. I'm asserting that dropping gcj is not going to cause
> anyone any major heartburn).

If you're using jar for something "real", it should be much easier for
you to simply rm jar.exe from /usr/bin than it is for others to build
gcj from scratch.
I can't see any at least moderately good reason for castrating a package
just to avoid a "problem" that can be solved by a simple rm or a change
in PATH.

Regards
   mks