* Re: NEW: cygipc-2.01-2 [Requires cygwin-1.5.3+]
       [not found] <1160688373.1062583775966.JavaMail.www@inbox01>
@ 2003-09-04  4:35 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-09-04  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Groenewegen; +Cc: cygwin

Robert Groenewegen wrote:

> Sorry if this reply bothers you.

Please keep cygwin messages on the cygwin list.

> Please, can you inform me (and the rest of the Cygwin community) if
> this solves the issue with Postgresql?
>
> Nowadays, when you want to activate Postgresql you have to install
> the package from "gatech.edu". It can be done (at least, even I
> managed to do this) but it is not so nice and easy as the other
> cygwin packages.

You still have to set up your system, add appropriate permissions to the
account under which ipc-daemon2 will run, install ipc-daemon2 as a
service, etc.  See the README.

But yes, now you can just point and click to download and unpack (I
won't call it "installing") cygipc.

> In the documentation of Postgresql (at least 6
> months ago) the author had written that he would compile against
> CYGIPC untill cygipc is part of the Cygwin packages ...

I think he said that he would continue to build postgresql against
cygipc until cygipc's *replacement*, cygserver, went "gold" --
regardless of whether cygipc was distributed via gatech.edu or via the
"normal" cygwin mirrors.

So, yes, postgresql still needs cygipc -- only now, it's easier to obtain.

--
Chuck

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-09-04  4:35 UTC | newest]