* How to compile static to avoid the need for cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-09-04 12:28 Ivan Hernandez
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Ivan Hernandez @ 2003-09-04 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello! i'm trying searchs in google to find info on how to compile
statically linked binary files on cugwin in order to avoid the need of
having cygwin1.dll with my programs. I need it because some people is
alergic to thing that don't understand, and i will not code twice things
that are already done in *nix and compiles with cygwin!
Please, if someone knows something better than the old -static thing for
the gcc let me know!
Ivan Hernandez

* Re: How to compile static to avoid the need for cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-09-04 14:25 ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2003-09-04 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:26:32AM -0300, Ivan Hernandez wrote:
> Hello! i'm trying searchs in google to find info on how to compile
> statically linked binary files on cugwin in order to avoid the need of
> having cygwin1.dll with my programs. I need it because some people is
> alergic to thing that don't understand, and i will not code twice things
> that are already done in *nix and compiles with cygwin!
> Please, if someone knows something better than the old -static thing for
> the gcc let me know!
Impossible. Cygwin can't be used as a statically linked library (unless you
patch Cygwin in such a way that it can, but that would probably be far more
work than it's worth).

Get a coupld of good antihistaminica for that allergy and try to live with it :)

rlc

--
Domestic happiness and faithful friends.

* Re: How to compile static to avoid the need for cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-09-04 14:28 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-04 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:26:32AM -0300, Ivan Hernandez wrote:
> Hello! i'm trying searchs in google to find info on how to compile
> statically linked binary files on cugwin in order to avoid the need of
> having cygwin1.dll with my programs. I need it because some people is
> alergic to thing that don't understand, and i will not code twice things
> that are already done in *nix and compiles with cygwin!
> Please, if someone knows something better than the old -static thing for
> the gcc let me know!

Nope, no chance.  You're aware of the Cygwin license especially when it
comes to usage in prorietary projects, are you?  Just asking...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: How to compile static to avoid the need for cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-09-04 14:45   ` Ivan Hernandez
From: Ivan Hernandez @ 2003-09-04 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

No, i'm not aware. Anyway i think that compiling GPL'd programs will not
make any problem... i guess... no matter how much i touch the code in
order to make it work !
Ivan

@ 2003-09-04 15:26     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-04 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 11:43:17AM -0300, Ivan Hernandez wrote:
> No, i'm not aware. Anyway i think that compiling GPL'd programs will not
> make any problem... i guess... no matter how much i touch the code in
> order to make it work !

As long as it remains in the open source and your targeted audience will
get the source code including the Cygwin source code you used for
packaging, no.  For more details see http://cygwin.com/licensing.html.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: How to compile static to avoid the need for cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-09-04 16:39 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-04 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Hernandez; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Ivan Hernandez wrote:

> Hello! i'm trying searchs in google to find info on how to compile
> statically linked binary files on cugwin in order to avoid the need of
> having cygwin1.dll with my programs. I need it because some people is
> alergic to thing that don't understand, and i will not code twice things
> that are already done in *nix and compiles with cygwin!
> Please, if someone knows something better than the old -static thing for
> the gcc let me know!
>
> Ivan Hernandez

Ivan,

Cygwin doesn't support static linkage with the Cygwin runtime functions.
If you want to build applications that are independent of Cygwin, you may
try using MinGW (by installing the gcc-mingw packages and passing the
"-mno-cygwin" flag to gcc).  Be aware, though, that you won't get full
POSIX emulation with MinGW.  See <http://mingw.org/> for details.  Please
report any resulting MinGW problems to the mingw-users list.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: How to compile static to avoid the need for cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-09-04 17:16   ` Ivan Hernandez
From: Ivan Hernandez @ 2003-09-04 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This is the seccond post that i do and you ever respond. Thanks you Igor!
Ivan from Argentina