* Cygwin 1.5.3 issues
@ 2003-09-04 18:44 Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2003-09-04 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  This week I upgraded to Cygwin 1.5.3 from 1.3.18 and when I run
cygcheck I'm seeing these things:

<it seems everything under apache is reported as missing>
(I do have apache2 installed under /usr/local/apache2.  Maybe that is
cause of problem???)

Packages reporting as incomplete:

Missing file: /usr/share/locale/locale.alias from package gettext
Missing file: /usr/share/locale/locale.alias from package texinfo
Can't open file list /etc/setup/XFree86-base.lst.gz for package
XFree86-base
Missing file: /usr/share/locale/locale.alias from package gettext

  Are these missing files a problem?  I always install everything so
I'm not sure how to correct this.

  Other question:  Can I use the cygwin version of gcc for compiling
under mingw?  Mingw gcc is old version (2.95.3-6) and cygwin gcc is
3.2.  Or is there newer gcc available from cygwin site for Mingw?

thx,
Gerry Reno

* Re: Cygwin 1.5.3 issues
@ 2003-09-04 19:44 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-04 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gerry Reno wrote:

>   This week I upgraded to Cygwin 1.5.3 from 1.3.18 and when I run
> cygcheck I'm seeing these things:
>
> <it seems everything under apache is reported as missing>
> (I do have apache2 installed under /usr/local/apache2.  Maybe that is
> cause of problem???)

Missing in what sense?  If you moved the files after installing them via
Cygwin setup and now they are reported as "missing" by "cygcheck -c", then
this is expected behavior (also see below).  Otherwise, please (re)read
the problem reporting guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> and
follow them in your next posts.

> Packages reporting as incomplete:
>
> Missing file: /usr/share/locale/locale.alias from package gettext
> Missing file: /usr/share/locale/locale.alias from package texinfo
> Can't open file list /etc/setup/XFree86-base.lst.gz for package
> XFree86-base
> Missing file: /usr/share/locale/locale.alias from package gettext
>
>   Are these missing files a problem?  I always install everything so
> I'm not sure how to correct this.

Yes, they are.  You must have lost these files a while ago, but until
recently "cygcheck -c" did not check for package integrity.  I was about
to suggest reinstalling one or both of the packages, but then looked at
the package listings, and there is indeed a conflict -- *different* files
with the same name (usr/share/locale/locale.alias) appear in both
packages: gettext and texinfo.  In fact, it also appears in the [prev]
version of tar (FWIW).  Maintainers of texinfo and gettext should take
note.  Reinstalling still might help, though.

The "Can't open file list" is superficial (XFree86-base is an empty
package) and can be ignored.  It should only appear if verbose mode is
requested (using a "-v" option), anyway.

>   Other question:  Can I use the cygwin version of gcc for compiling
> under mingw?  Mingw gcc is old version (2.95.3-6) and cygwin gcc is
> 3.2.  Or is there newer gcc available from cygwin site for Mingw?
>
> thx,
> Gerry Reno

You can use Cygwin's gcc to compile mingw programs.  You need to install
the various *mingw* packages (gcc-mingw, mingw-runtime, etc), and then
pass the "-mno-cygwin" flag to gcc.  Please address MinGW problems to the
mingw-users list, though.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Cygwin 1.5.3 issues
@ 2003-09-04 20:33   ` Gerry Reno
From: Gerry Reno @ 2003-09-04 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gerry Reno wrote:
>
> >   This week I upgraded to Cygwin 1.5.3 from 1.3.18 and when I run
> > cygcheck I'm seeing these things:
> >
> > <it seems everything under apache is reported as missing>
> > (I do have apache2 installed under /usr/local/apache2.  Maybe that
> is
> > cause of problem???)
>
> Missing in what sense?

In the sense that cygcheck -c is reporting a huge list of missing files
under

Missing file: /etc/apache.new/...
Missing file: /var/www.new/...

These directories do not exist on my system.

If you moved the files after installing them
> via
> Cygwin setup and now they are reported as "missing" by "cygcheck -c",
> then
> this is expected behavior (also see below).

Files were not moved after Cygwin setup.  I also selected to install
Apache2.

<snip/>

* Re: Cygwin 1.5.3 issues
@ 2003-09-04 20:47     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-04 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerry Reno; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gerry Reno wrote:

> --- Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Gerry Reno wrote:
> >
> > >   This week I upgraded to Cygwin 1.5.3 from 1.3.18 and when I run
> > > cygcheck I'm seeing these things:
> > >
> > > <it seems everything under apache is reported as missing>
> > > (I do have apache2 installed under /usr/local/apache2.  Maybe that
> > > is cause of problem???)
> >
> > Missing in what sense?
>
> In the sense that cygcheck -c is reporting a huge list of missing files
> under
>
> Missing file: /etc/apache.new/...
> Missing file: /var/www.new/...
>
> These directories do not exist on my system.

Aha, I see the problem.

> > If you moved the files after installing them via Cygwin setup and now
> > they are reported as "missing" by "cygcheck -c", then this is expected
> > behavior (also see below).
>
> Files were not moved after Cygwin setup.  I also selected to install
> Apache2.

Yes, they were indeed moved, but not in the way that you were aware of.
The postinstall script for apache actually renamed those directories to
/etc/apache and /var/www respectively.  The integrity checking routine in
cygcheck is too simple-minded[*] to figure out that the files were moved
during postinstall, so it reports them as missing.  My guess is you'll
probably have to live with this until cygcheck is smarter.  Sorry.  The
good news, though, is that, AFAIK, apache is the only package whose
postinstall script thus misbehaves.
	Igor
P.S. FYI, apache2 has nothing to do with this.

[*] In fact, I can't really see *how* even a smart cygcheck could figure
this out without cooperation from the package postinstall script itself.
This requires further thought.  Feel free to contribute suggestions or,
better yet, code. ;-)
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Cygwin 1.5.3 issues
@ 2003-09-05  3:09   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-09-05  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Yes, they are.  You must have lost these files a while ago, but until
> recently "cygcheck -c" did not check for package integrity.  I was about
> to suggest reinstalling one or both of the packages, but then looked at
> the package listings, and there is indeed a conflict -- *different* files
> with the same name (usr/share/locale/locale.alias) appear in both
> packages: gettext and texinfo.  In fact, it also appears in the [prev]
> version of tar (FWIW).  Maintainers of texinfo and gettext should take
> note.  Reinstalling still might help, though.

As gettext is the GNU internationalization/localization package, I would
assume that locale.alias is "owned" by gettext -- so texinfo shouldn't
be installing its copy...

--
Chuck