* bug in libintl2 0.12.1-3
@ 2003-09-06  0:59 Uwe Stöhr
From: Uwe Stöhr @ 2003-09-06  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I just updated to libintl2 to 0.12.1-3 and now german umlauts in the menus
and windows are no longer displayed correct. For example "geändert" it is
displayed "ge"andert".
I'm using libintl2 under the latest cygwin and the latest gettext.

When I reinstall the old libintl2 0.11.5.1 (also withe the actual cygwin and
gettext) all works fine.

* Re: bug in libintl2 0.12.1-3
@ 2003-09-07  8:31 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-09-07  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> I just updated to libintl2 to 0.12.1-3 and now german umlauts in the menus
> and windows are no longer displayed correct. For example "geändert" it is
> displayed "ge"andert".
> I'm using libintl2 under the latest cygwin and the latest gettext.

Which *application* are you seeing this behavior in?  Has it been
recompiled against the new libintl2 or not (I thought that there would
be no upgrading issues, but....just covering all the bases, here).

Try recompiling your app with the new gettext/libiconv packages
installed (and don't forget to install the -devel packages).

> When I reinstall the old libintl2 0.11.5.1 (also withe the actual cygwin and
> gettext) all works fine.

I'm stumped.  The new versions of libiconv/gettext pass just as many of
the internal self-tests as the old versions did...my testing showed the
new versions to be no worse than the old.  But then, I never ever use an
alternate character set; high-school spanish was a long time ago.  I've
often said that perhaps I'm not the best person to maintain these two
packages...

--
Chuck

* Re: bug in libintl2 0.12.1-3
@ 2003-09-10  5:16 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-09-10  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> I'm stumped too, because I thaught testing means to test it with all
> character sets.

Did you read this?

 >>school spanish was a long time ago. I've often
 >>said that perhaps I'm not the best person to
 >>maintain these two packages...

If you'd like to take over maintaining libiconv and gettext -- please,
volunteer -- subject to the approval of the cygwin-apps mailing list.  I
don't routinely use alternate character sets.  I don't have cygwin-TeX
or LyX or any GUI apps [except xfig] installed.  And I sure as hell am
not going to install 150 MB of stuff I won't use, simply to test
alternate character sets in LyX...

I rely on the hours-long internal test suite that ships with gettext.
Cygwin's build doesn't pass all of the tests, only about 98% of them.
Perhaps your problem is covered in the other 2%, and downloading and
building and running the testsuite will help you track down the problem
and provide a fix.

Or, perhaps the problem you observe is caused by a bug that is not
exercised in the test suite.  If so, then perhaps you could provide a
patch and a testcase to go with it, that Bruno [the "real" maintainer of
gettext] would be happy to accept.

FWIW, libiconv does seem to pass all of its internal tests.

--
Chuck

* Re: bug in libintl2 0.12.1-3
@ 2003-09-07 11:00 Uwe Stöhr
From: Uwe Stöhr @ 2003-09-07 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, cygwin

> Which *application* are you seeing this > behavior in? Has it been
recompiled
> against the new libintl2 or not (I
> thought that there would be no
> upgrading issues, but....just covering > all the bases, here).
> Try recompiling your app with the new
> gettext/libiconv packages installed (and
> don'tforget to install the -devel packages).

I use LyX under cygwin/XFree86. It's at the moment not recompiled under the
actual gettext/libiconv. I'll wait until the developers of cygwin/xfree86
release a version compiled with the actual cygwin.

When I reinstall the old libintl2 0.11.5.1 (also withe the actual cygwin and
gettext) all works fine.
> I'm stumped. The new versions of libiconv/gettext > pass just as many of
the internal self-tests as
> the old versions did...my testing showed the new
> versions to be no worse than the old. But then, I > never ever use an
alternate character set; high-
> school spanish was a long time ago. I've often
> said that perhaps I'm not the best person to
> maintain these two packages...

I use at the moment the new gettext, libintl, libintl1 and libgettextpo0
versions and the old libintl2 version and all works fine.

I'm stumped too, because I thaught testing means to test it with all
character sets. If you use an internationalized application like LyX, you
can adjust the language so that you can see the menues and button names in
slovakian, spanish etc.

regards Uwe