* FQDN hostname
@ 2003-09-06  7:49 Kilian CAVALOTTI
From: Kilian CAVALOTTI @ 2003-09-06  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I'd like to know why the cygwin hostname can't take any argument. I need to
see if my FQDN win32 hostname is properlly configured, and all what I can
see using 'hostname' is just the netbios name. Is it possible to see (and
maybe set) the full hostname with cygwin ?

My main problem is my mailer (Outlook Express) just send the netbios name
when it says HELO to the smtp mailserver, that adds a
header to all my outgoing mails.
Is it possible to bypass this behaviour, and force OE to send its full
qualified domain name, when it says HELO ? And I assume that cygwin and OE
use the same kind of method to retrieve the hostname.

TIA,

--
Kick | GPGKeyId: 0xD657340C
et je ne fais aucunes fautes d'orthographes en tappant au clavier sans

* Re: FQDN hostname
@ 2003-09-06  9:41 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-06  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 09:45:52AM +0200, Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:
> I'd like to know why the cygwin hostname can't take any argument.

The GNU source code in sh-utils as well as in the latest coreutils
has no such argument as --fqdn or --long.

> I need to
> see if my FQDN win32 hostname is properlly configured, and all what I can
> see using 'hostname' is just the netbios name. Is it possible to see (and
> maybe set) the full hostname with cygwin ?

Not yet.  The Windows API is a bit weird coming to that.  Especially
new APIs are available since W2K so there's no unified access to that
stuff on all supported Windows systems.

> Is it possible to bypass this behaviour, and force OE to send its full
> qualified domain name, when it says HELO ? And I assume that cygwin and OE
> use the same kind of method to retrieve the hostname.

Dunno but I actually doubt that Cygwin and OE are using the same API.
Cygwin still uses old Winsock1 functionality, OE probably the new API
for DNS queries if available.  You should ask OE questions better in a
related Microsoft newsgroup.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: FQDN hostname
@ 2003-09-06 10:03   ` Kilian CAVALOTTI
From: Kilian CAVALOTTI @ 2003-09-06 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Dunno but I actually doubt that Cygwin and OE are using the same API.
> Cygwin still uses old Winsock1 functionality, OE probably the new API
> for DNS queries if available.  You should ask OE questions better in a
> related Microsoft newsgroup.

Thx a lot for your answer, I'll check that.

--
Kick | GPGKeyId: 0xD657340C
OF> C'est quoi "godwin" ? un jeu ? une personne ?
Une sorte de station-service : on accumule les points et on peut
gagner une gamelle.
-+- PE in Guide du Neuneu d'Usenet - Les points sur les godwins -+-

* Re: FQDN hostname
@ 2003-09-08  2:33 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2003-09-08  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to know why the cygwin hostname can't take any argument. I need to
> see if my FQDN win32 hostname is properlly configured, and all what I can
> see using 'hostname' is just the netbios name. Is it possible to see (and
> maybe set) the full hostname with cygwin ?
>
> My main problem is my mailer (Outlook Express) just send the netbios name
> when it says HELO to the smtp mailserver, that adds a
> header to all my outgoing mails.
> Is it possible to bypass this behaviour, and force OE to send its full
> qualified domain name, when it says HELO ? And I assume that cygwin and OE
> use the same kind of method to retrieve the hostname.

This really has nothing to do with Cygwin.  In windows there is a
"global" domain name and then a "connection-specific" domain name for
each connection, and these are all set in the "Network and Dial-Up
Connections" thing under TCP/IP properties.  The "global" domain name
you may have to set in the registry as it's probably not set by Windows
unless you're a member of a domain.  Also, the DHCP response (if
enabled) can also contain a domain suffix that windows will try to use.
You can see all of this if you run "ipconfig /all".

As far as OE goes, who knows what it uses in its HELO string, but I'd
imagine that if you have either a "primary DNS suffix" or a
"connection-specific DNS suffix" that it would use one of those.

Brian

* Re: FQDN hostname
@ 2003-09-14  9:16   ` Kilian CAVALOTTI
From: Kilian CAVALOTTI @ 2003-09-14  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian Dessent wrote:
> As far as OE goes, who knows what it uses in its HELO string, but I'd
> imagine that if you have either a "primary DNS suffix" or a
> "connection-specific DNS suffix" that it would use one of those.

That's precisely the problem : whatever the DNS suffix is set, OE still only
sends the NetBios hostname in its HELO string.
I tried to fool it, by setting my netbios name to my fqdn hostname, but it
does not change anything.

Thanks for your answer, whatever.
I suppose the only solution is to change my mailer...

--
Kick | GPGKeyId: 0xD657340C
Cela m'a même déjà valu quelques discussions animés avec mes paires

* Re: FQDN hostname
@ 2003-09-14  9:53     ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2003-09-14  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kilian CAVALOTTI wrote:

> Brian Dessent wrote:
> > As far as OE goes, who knows what it uses in its HELO string, but I'd
> > imagine that if you have either a "primary DNS suffix" or a
> > "connection-specific DNS suffix" that it would use one of those.
>
> That's precisely the problem : whatever the DNS suffix is set, OE still only
> sends the NetBios hostname in its HELO string.
> I tried to fool it, by setting my netbios name to my fqdn hostname, but it
> does not change anything.
>
> Thanks for your answer, whatever.
> I suppose the only solution is to change my mailer...

Why not run a local MTA such as Exim (this is a Cygwin list after all)
and have it either deliver directly, or alternatively just forward all
mail on to your ISP's smarthost mail relay.  Exim is not that hard to
configure, and delivering directly is fast and eliminates some delay and
dependance on your ISP.  However, some sites will not accept mail from
"end-user" machines that are allocated to dynamic pools, so you may just
end up using Exim as a forwarding relay to your ISP.  If this is the
case you might also look into other "dumb SMTP local relays" that
essentially pass all mail onto your ISP's smarthost.  I know there are a
lot of such programs out there but I don't have a name handy.

As an aside, I would think that just about every ISP in the world would
have their SMTP server configured to accept mail that Outlook tries to
send, quirks and all.... Perhaps you just need to enable SMTP
authorization of some form?

Brian