* [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-07  8:48 Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-09-07  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've made a new package available on sourceware: mingw-zlib contains the
zlib distribution compiled using 'gcc -mno-cygwin' and installed into
/usr/include/mingw/ and /usr/lib/mingw.

It includes:

usr/bin/mgwz.dll
usr/include/mingw/zconf.h
usr/include/mingw/zlib.h
usr/lib/mingw/libz.a
usr/lib/mingw/libz.dll.a

and documentation.  (Note that the dll is named 'mgwz.dll' to prevent
conflicts with 'cygz.dll')

The idea is for this library to be used by binaries that are part of the
cygwin distribution, but which cannot use the cygwin kernel services --
such as setup.exe or cygcheck.exe, among others.

I'd bet that most of those applications would probably want to link
directly to libz.a or use 'ld .... -Bstatic -lz -Bdynamic' rather than
link to dynamically, but we'll play that by ear.

--
Chuck

P.S. Yes, I know this didn't go thru the official process, but I got the
impression that cgf wanted to include this functionality (e.g. the
speedup of cygcheck via zlib library calls instead of zcat.exe) in the
imminent release of cygwin-1.5.4, and I figured this would be fairly
non-controversial.

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Then, run setup and answer all of the questions.

               *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at the above URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-07 15:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-07 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 04:48:32AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>I've made a new package available on sourceware: mingw-zlib contains the
>zlib distribution compiled using 'gcc -mno-cygwin' and installed into
>/usr/include/mingw/ and /usr/lib/mingw.
>
>[snip]
>
>P.S. Yes, I know this didn't go thru the official process, but I got the
>impression that cgf wanted to include this functionality (e.g. the
>speedup of cygcheck via zlib library calls instead of zcat.exe) in the
>imminent release of cygwin-1.5.4, and I figured this would be fairly
>non-controversial.

That's ok.  Process is intact since I used my super rubber stamp authority
to preapprove the package.

Thanks *very* much for providing this, Chuck.  This is incredible
service considering that I only mentioned this to you on Friday.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-08 14:01 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-08 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Charles Wilson wrote:

> I've made a new package available on sourceware: mingw-zlib contains the
> zlib distribution compiled using 'gcc -mno-cygwin' and installed into
> /usr/include/mingw/ and /usr/lib/mingw.
>
> It includes:
>
> usr/bin/mgwz.dll
> usr/include/mingw/zconf.h
> usr/include/mingw/zlib.h
> usr/lib/mingw/libz.a
> usr/lib/mingw/libz.dll.a
>
> and documentation.  (Note that the dll is named 'mgwz.dll' to prevent
> conflicts with 'cygz.dll')
>
> The idea is for this library to be used by binaries that are part of the
> cygwin distribution, but which cannot use the cygwin kernel services --
> such as setup.exe or cygcheck.exe, among others.
>
> I'd bet that most of those applications would probably want to link
> directly to libz.a or use 'ld .... -Bstatic -lz -Bdynamic' rather than
> link to dynamically, but we'll play that by ear.
>
> --
> Chuck
>
> P.S. Yes, I know this didn't go thru the official process, but I got the
> impression that cgf wanted to include this functionality (e.g. the
> speedup of cygcheck via zlib library calls instead of zcat.exe) in the
> imminent release of cygwin-1.5.4, and I figured this would be fairly
> non-controversial.

Chuck,

This is good for a temp measure, but wouldn't this normally go into the
mingw-runtime and gcc-mingw packages?  Or is this going to be a separate
package forever and ever?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-08 14:23   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-08 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:01:14AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>This is good for a temp measure, but wouldn't this normally go into the
>mingw-runtime and gcc-mingw packages?  Or is this going to be a separate
>package forever and ever?

I don't mean to speak for Chuck but, after some discussion, it's
intended to be a separate package.  The intent was to not put a zlib
directory in winsup, which would be the case with mingw-runtime.  Ditto
for the gcc sources.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-08 14:30     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-08 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:01:14AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >This is good for a temp measure, but wouldn't this normally go into the
> >mingw-runtime and gcc-mingw packages?  Or is this going to be a separate
> >package forever and ever?
>
> I don't mean to speak for Chuck but, after some discussion, it's
> intended to be a separate package.  The intent was to not put a zlib
> directory in winsup, which would be the case with mingw-runtime.  Ditto
> for the gcc sources.

So basically this means that everyone wanting to compile Cygwin from CVS
or source tarball will have to install this package, right?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-08 15:15       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-08 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:30:08AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I don't mean to speak for Chuck but, after some discussion, it's
>>intended to be a separate package.  The intent was to not put a zlib
>>directory in winsup, which would be the case with mingw-runtime.  Ditto
>>for the gcc sources.
>
>So basically this means that everyone wanting to compile Cygwin from
>CVS or source tarball will have to install this package, right?

If they want this functionality, yes.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-09  3:20         ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-09-09  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:30:08AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>>I don't mean to speak for Chuck but, after some discussion, it's
>>>intended to be a separate package.  The intent was to not put a zlib
>>>directory in winsup, which would be the case with mingw-runtime.  Ditto
>>>for the gcc sources.
>>
>>So basically this means that everyone wanting to compile Cygwin from
>>CVS or source tarball will have to install this package, right?
>

> If they want this functionality, yes.

Yes.  Currently, the package is in the 'Mingw' group (for lack of
anything better).  I considered putting it into 'Base' for this very
reason -- but since the cygwin utilities will no doubt link statically,
they don't really need the DLL at runtime.  Just at link time.

But that means that zlib-mingw is no different than many other tools you
need "for additional functionality" when building cygwin.
gettext-devel, for recompiling the msg catalogs.  texinfo, for
recompiling the texinfo docs, and other whole suites of tools for the
sgml documentation...

As far as the name, there are a few packages with mingw-ish tendencies:

gcc-mingw
mingw-runtime
w32api

Seeing no real pattern, I chose mingw-zlib.

And yes, this is intended to be a separate package.  cgf & I talked
about simply adding the libraries to the existing zlib package, but I
didn't like that, since I felt it would overly complicate my release
procedure.

Adding them to the existing mingw-runtime or gcc-mingw package didn't
come up, but as cgf has already explained, that solution has its own
problems.

--
Chuck

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-09  5:33           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-09  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:18:01PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:

>>>So basically this means that everyone wanting to compile Cygwin from
>>>CVS or source tarball will have to install this package, right?
>>
>>If they want this functionality, yes.
>
>Yes.  Currently, the package is in the 'Mingw' group (for lack of
>anything better).

Tsk, tsk.  I didn't notice that you invented a new category.

I don't see any reason why this should just be in Libs.  It's a mingw
library but, since we don't make the Mingw distinction for anything
else, I don't know why zlib should be different.  The description
should be adequate, IMO.

Note that cygcheck will still compile and link without this libarary.
You'll get a warning and the resultant program won't be able to access
the package files.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] NEW: mingw-zlib-1.1.4-4
@ 2003-09-09  5:40             ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2003-09-09  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Tsk, tsk.  I didn't notice that you invented a new category.
>
> I don't see any reason why this should just be in Libs.  It's a mingw
> library but, since we don't make the Mingw distinction for anything
> else, I don't know why zlib should be different.  The description
> should be adequate, IMO.

Done.

--
Chuck