* Apache/PHP installation puzzle
@ 2003-09-13 12:25 dave_d
From: dave_d @ 2003-09-13 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Fellow Cygwinners!

Now I fully expect to be told to RTFM --- but here goes anyway!

I've installed Cygwin on a W2K workstation primarily for the purpose of running
Postgres and for this it works admirably. All installations have worked
flawlessly.

Encouraged by the performance of Cygwin I decided that I would replace the
local Windows IIS 'Personal Web Server' with Apache +PHP.  I started the Setup
program, selected Apache and the PHP library and initiated the installation.
The installation reported complete with no errors or warnings.  I started the
Apache server and accessing 'localhost/index.html' produced the desired result -
 Apache is up and running.  I then wrote the approved php test script ( <?
phpinfo()?> ) and pointed the browser to 'localhost/tester.php'.  No PHP!!  I
checked the /etc/postinstall directory and the presence of apache-php-sh.done
rather indicates that installation was OK.  To check I deleted this file, re-
installed the PHP library alone and, again, installation appears OK with no
errors.  I checked in the setup logs - again, no errors.  However, nowhere on
the system is the a libphp4 of any description to be found and so I can't see
how I can add the LoadModule line to the httpd.conf file.

I've spent a couple of hours Googling and searching the mail archives but have
not seen this problem refered to anywhere else. I would appreciate a nudge in
the right direction,

Regards,

Dave.

* Re: Apache/PHP installation puzzle
@ 2003-09-15  9:10 ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 2003-09-15  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave_d; +Cc: cygwin

> the system is the a libphp4 of any description to be found and so I can't see
> how I can add the LoadModule line to the httpd.conf file.

php4 should have been extracted it's library to
/usr/lib/apache/libphp4.dll. And LoadModule directives should(?) we
already inserted into httpd.conf via apxs installation procedure.

Stipe

tolj@wapme-systems.de
Wapme Systems AG

Vogelsanger Weg 80
40470 Düsseldorf

Tel: +49-211-74845-0
Fax: +49-211-74845-299

E-Mail: info@wapme-systems.de
Internet: http://www.wapme-systems.de

* Re: Apache/PHP installation puzzle
@ 2003-09-15 16:32   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-15 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave_d; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 dave_d@boltblue.com wrote:

> .....As a follow up ....
>
> When I do:
>
> $ cygcheck -c
>
> I get an 'Incomplete' status for both Apache and PHP.  This could be a
> red herring, however, as I notice that things are done with some of the
> files post install.
>
> Just thought I'd share this info!
>
> Dave

This has already been reported and replied to (as a search of the archives
for "apache cygcheck incomplete" would have shown):
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-09/msg00334.html>.

As stated in the message above, though, suggestions on how to solve this
are still welcome.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Apache/PHP installation puzzle
@ 2003-09-15 15:48     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2003-09-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave_d; +Cc: cygwin

Dave,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 04:30:27PM +0100, dave_d@boltblue.com wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me.

You are welcome.

> Any idea what's going on here?

Sorry, no.  I am only able to help you with the rebasing part -- I do
not have experience running Cygwin Apache, PHP, etc.

Jason

* Re: Apache/PHP installation puzzle
@ 2003-09-15 15:30   ` dave_d
From: dave_d @ 2003-09-15 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Tishler; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Jason,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I've been working on this all day and, despite
having found out about rebasing etc., have still not got a solution.

To date:

1. Remove all vestiges of Cygwin from the W2K box.
2. run the Windoze update stuff and ensure that W2K is up-to date
3. Download version 2.415 of the setup.exe from the Cygwin mirror.
4. Install the very minimum needed to get Cygwin up and running.
5. Replace v2_1 of libbz2 with version 2_0 because I know this causes
problems.  This is a three stage process whereby the default 2_1 is replaced by
an updated version, v2_0 is then added, and finally v2_1 is removed.  Without
going through this step we end up with Windows errors 126.
6. Using setup.exe get Apache 1.3.24-5.
7. Start apache with /usr/sbin/apachectrl start.  Apache starts OK and checks
out (visit localhost with browser and get expeceted response).
8. Stop Apache in preparation for adding PHP.  ..... or, to be precise, don't
stop it!!!! The command /usr/sbin/apachectrl stop returns as follows:

Administrator@zebedee ~
$ /usr/sbin/apachectl stop
/usr/sbin/apachectl stop: httpd (pid 1240?) not running

Well, 1240 is certainly running along with several of it's siblings and it's
still running after the stop command.  So now we're at the first problem to
solve - how to control httpd reliably.

Any idea what's going on here?  I can't find any errors - but maybe I'm looking
in the wrong places.

Regards,

Dave

Quoting Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>:

> Dave,
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:15:13AM +0100, dave_d@boltblue.com wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Use Google:
>

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&q=unable+remap+same+address+parent&btnG=Google+Search

@ 2003-09-15 12:18 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2003-09-15 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jurgen,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:03:04PM +0200, jurgen.defurne@philips.com wrote:
> Thanks for trying to help, but I don't get the relationship between
> PHP and Apache, and Perl and libiconv ?

Sorry, I can't help with the above.  I was only trying to help Dave with
his rebase problem.

Jason

* Re: Apache/PHP installation puzzle
@ 2003-09-15 12:04 jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2003-09-15 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

Jason,

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't get the relationship
between PHP and Apache, and Perl and libiconv ?

Jurgen

Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
09/15/2003 01:59 PM

        To:     cygwin@cygwin.com
        cc:     (bcc: Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        Re: Apache/PHP installation puzzle
        Classification:

@ 2003-09-15 11:56 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2003-09-15 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-09-15  9:34 ` dave_d
From: dave_d @ 2003-09-15  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-09-15  9:20 jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2003-09-15  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

Dave,

So you get the same error as I got. That is the reason why I
decided to build PHP from scratch for CGI. Now that I know
that I am not the only one to get this error, I think we can
ask the cygwin people to consider this as a bug report.

Regards,

Jurgen

<dave_d@boltblue.com>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
09/15/2003 11:15 AM

        To:     <cygwin@cygwin.com>
        cc:     (bcc: Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS)
        Classification:

Thanks for the reply, Jurgen, but that didn't work either.

Not to be discouraged I decided to uninstall everything to do with Apache
and
PHP and try again.  I did the uninstall and cleaned up all the remaining
files
I could find.  I re-booted the system and initiated a re-install from the
Internet.  To my surprise I got a new Cygwin, bash, and a few other files.
 The
Apache was also an updataed version!  Anyway, the installation went
smoothly
and this time I indeed had a couple of PHP libraries -
/lib/apache/libphp4.dll
and /usr/lib/apache/libphp4.dll to be precise.  Full of hope I checked the

httpd.conf file - everything in place this time.  I started the httpd
daemon ---
- and I got the following ....

$ /usr/sbin/apachectl start
[Mon Sep 15 09:43:29 2003] [warn] Loaded DSO lib/apache/libphp4.dll uses
plain A
pache 1.3 API, this module might crash under EAPI! (please recompile it
with -DE
API)
[Mon Sep 15 09:43:30 2003] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the server's
fully
 qualified domain name, using 192.168.40.12 for ServerName
C:\cygwin\usr\sbin\httpd.exe: *** unable to remap
C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl-1.dll to
 same address as parent(0xCA0000) != 0xCB0000
/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Now I'm even more confused!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dave D.

* Re: Apache/PHP installation puzzle
@ 2003-09-15  9:15 dave_d
From: dave_d @ 2003-09-15  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-09-15  6:12 jurgen.defurne
From: jurgen.defurne @ 2003-09-15  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: cygwin

Dave,

Do you run PHP as CGI or as php_mod ?

If CGI, then you should place your PHP scripts in /cgi-bin/,
prepend '#!/usr/bin/php' or whatever, and make your
scripts executable. Also control  your php.ini file.

If you run PHP as php_mod, then you must add the
following lines to your apache httpd.conf file :

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3

for whatever file extensions you need.

After this, check again your php.ini file.

I think it should be installed, I have it here on my system,
installed from standard cygwin. It doesn't run here, but
for other reasons, so I use the CGI, which I compiled
from scratch. I do not need the performance, only the
functionality.

Regards,

Jurgen

<dave_d@boltblue.com>
Sent by:
cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
09/13/2003 02:25 PM

        To:     <cygwin@cygwin.com>
        cc:     (bcc: Jurgen Defurne/BRG/CE/PHILIPS)
        Subject:        Apache/PHP installation puzzle
        Classification: