* Perl/Tk report
@ 2003-09-17 14:29 Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2003-09-17 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

I searched the list and cygwin.com for info on whether Perl/Tk works on
Cygwin.  The only pre-built package I could find was built against perl
5.6.1.  All the messages I found in the archives said it did not build
OOTB on Cygwin, either because it failed to build or because you needed
to patch it to make it build.

I'm happy to report that it now seems to install from cpan if you simply
"force" the install.  Forcing is necessary to make it not worry that a
bunch of tests fail.  I get tests failing on Perl/Tk on Red Hat Linux 9,
so I'm hoping that these are just small bugs in independent parts of Tk
that will get squished over time.  Anyway, "Hello, world" runs:

	#!/usr/bin/perl
	use Tk;
	my $mw = MainWindow->new;
	$mw->title("Hello World");
	$mw->Button(-text => "Done", -command => sub { exit })->pack;
	MainLoop;

I found a patch for Tk800.024, and the current version is .025.  Perhaps
this patch is now part of the distribution?

Another thing to note: this appears to be a Win32-aware version of Tk.
It doesn't appear to be using X.  That's kind of odd, since it built a
bunch of X-related stuff...  Suits me, though.  I don't want to have to
run an X server just to get a simple GUI program running under Cygwin.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-09-17 14:28 UTC | newest]