* SSHD, Cygwin and Windows 2003 : continued with user rights
@ 2003-09-17 16:49 Olivier ALLART
From: Olivier ALLART @ 2003-09-17 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Following Mark J de Jong 's step by step howto (see end of mail for some
add-ons), I can now effectively log in with pkey method (that is, no
password) using the 'administrator' user name.
'whoami' returns 'administrator', however asking for a command such as
IISRESET returns the error 'you are not a local administrator of this
machine...', which means the rights management has failed somewhere.

What shall I do to be able tu run IISreset from ssh pkey under
administrator ?

note :  suing to 'administrator' returns 'wrong password' after correct
pass input, and loging via sshd with the 'local system sshd' method
acknowledges the administrator to execute IISRESET..

that's why I wonder if adding the 'create token' n co stuff to the user
SYSTEM wouldn't help, but I feel this is not a right thing to do ...

> Hello,
> I've looked and couldn't find decent docs on this so for those of you
> who are lookin', this is a quick howto on how to setup the
> Cygwin/OpenSSH daemon on M$ Windows 2003. This will fix the passwordless
> (ssh key) login issue.
>
> 1. Install Cygwin with the openssh binaries....

add the c:\cygwin\bin  to the path
add cygwin=ntsec tty environment variable

> 2. After completing the Cygwin setup, goto the cygwin command prompt and
> type 'ssh-host-config'
> 3. Answer 'y' when asked if you want to sshd with privilege separation.
> 4. Answer 'y' when asked if user sshd should be created by the script.
> 5. Answer 'y' when asked if you want sshd to be created as a service.
> 6. Create a new windows user named "sshdproc" or whatever you wish the
> sshd process account username to be. If you happen to notice the sshd
> user being disabled, don't enable it!
> 7. Place the sshdproc user in the "Administrators" group.
> 8. Give the sshdproc user the following system rights:
>     * Create a token object
>     * Log on as a service
>     * Replace a process level token
>
>     And for security.....
>     * Deny log on locally
>     * Deny access to this computer from the network
>
> 9. Reconfigure the "CYGWIN sshd service" to run as the new "sshdproc"
> user.
> 10. At the cygwin command prompt type 'mkpasswd -l |grep sshdproc >>
> /etc/passwd <enter>'
> 11. Type 'touch /var/log/sshd.log <enter>'
> 12. Type 'chmod 644 /var/log/sshd.log <enter>'
> 11. Type 'chown sshdproc /var/empty /var/log/sshd.log /etc/ssh_*
> <enter>'
> 12. Type 'cygrunsrv --start sshd <enter>'

also ssh-user-config

> That should be it.. Hope this helps!

it helps, but not enough :)

> Best,
> Mark J. de Jong

* Re: SSHD, Cygwin and Windows 2003 : continued with user rights
@ 2003-09-17 18:43 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2003-09-17 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier ALLART, cygwin

At 12:40 PM 9/17/2003, Olivier ALLART you wrote:
>Following Mark J de Jong 's step by step howto (see end of mail for some add-ons), I can now effectively log in with pkey method (that is, no password) using the 'administrator' user name.
>'whoami' returns 'administrator', however asking for a command such as IISRESET returns the error 'you are not a local administrator of this machine...', which means the rights management has failed somewhere.

I think you missed the fact that pubkey authentication does impersonation,
not Windows-style authentication.  So Windows apps won't recognize the pubkey
authentication as providing permissions to run restricted programs.  You'll
have to use password authentication if you want Windows to recognize the
user you've become via ssh.  You can find all sorts of discussion on the
difference between pubkey and password authentication for ssh in the email
archives if you're interested.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: SSHD, Cygwin and Windows 2003 : continued with user rights
@ 2003-09-17 18:59   ` Olivier ALLART
From: Olivier ALLART @ 2003-09-17 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Thank you for the details, but then, why *some commands* work and not
others ?
And more specifically, how can I make *this command* work ?

@ 2003-09-17 19:49     ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2003-09-17 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier ALLART, Cygwin List

Hm, I thought I was clear.  Let me try again addressing iisreset
specifically.

iisreset doesn't work in the scenario you described because it's a Microsoft tool which knows nothing of the Cygwin environment.  Cygwin's ssh using
pubkey authentication doesn't authenticate the user with Windows.  So if
you need certain credentials to perform some operation in Windows, pubkey
authentication won't provide them.  If you need to run iisreset through ssh,
you will need to use password authentication, which takes the password for
the user 'administrator' and authenticates for Windows with it.  You should
then be able to use iisreset (if authentication is really the only thing
getting in the way with pubkey).

I don't know what are the "*some commands*" you're speaking of, but if they
are Cygwin utilities, then I think the answer is obvious.  If they are not
Cygwin utilities, then I would have to say that they don't require special
privileges to run.  This is actually true for most utilities.  But if this
is still confusing for you, you'll have to provide specifics.  However, I
think you'll find that it's likely that anything that works for you in ssh
using pubkey authentication falls into one of the two groups of utilities I
mentioned.

HTH,

Larry

@ 2003-09-17 23:18       ` Olivier ALLART
From: Olivier ALLART @ 2003-09-17 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Larry Hall wrote:

>Hm, I thought I was clear.  Let me try again addressing iisreset
>specifically.
>
>iisreset doesn't work in the scenario you described because it's a Microsoft tool which knows nothing of the Cygwin environment.  Cygwin's ssh using
>pubkey authentication doesn't authenticate the user with Windows.  So if
>you need certain credentials to perform some operation in Windows, pubkey
>authentication won't provide them.

Ok. I tought ssh offered some mechanism trough cygwin to authenticate as
if under windows ..
That means the 'administrator' account via ssh pubkey is not
'administrator' then ..

>If you need to run iisreset through ssh,
>you will need to use password authentication, which takes the password for
>the user 'administrator' and authenticates for Windows with it.  You should
>then be able to use iisreset (if authentication is really the only thing
>getting in the way with pubkey).

yes it is, since it is working with ssh connection (using password on
login) when sshd runs under 'local system'

>I don't know what are the "*some commands*" you're speaking of, but if they
>are Cygwin utilities, then I think the answer is obvious.  If they are not
>Cygwin utilities, then I would have to say that they don't require special
>privileges to run.  This is actually true for most utilities.  But if this
>is still confusing for you, you'll have to provide specifics.  However, I
>think you'll find that it's likely that anything that works for you in ssh
>using pubkey authentication falls into one of the two groups of utilities I
>mentioned.

and you are probably right.
other commands are for example 'wlbs' (or nlb).
My problem is : I want to execute some remote (but encrypted) commands
using both wlbs and iisreset.
wlbs works fine from remote, but so is not for IISreset.
I thought authentication using ssh and public key would allow me to
perform the iisreset command..
But from what you explained; it is clear that whatever user logs in with
pubkey, it won't be considered as 'administrator'
It looks like iisreset can only be performed *locally* by *local
administrator*, which is dumb in the situation where you are from
remote. Only other remote control would be 'telnet' but hey, ms telnet
can't pertform remote commands.

Last question; if I provided a pubkey in the 'administrator' (cygwin)
environment, who am I for windows ?

Thank you very much.
Next I guess I'll go look for some tip on how to unlock iisreset so it
can be used by whatever admin and not just local ..

@ 2003-09-18 14:25         ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-18 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

> From: Olivier ALLART

> Next I guess I'll go look for some tip on how to unlock iisreset so it
> can be used by whatever admin and not just local ..

 Sorry to jump in! Just an idea;
How about runas, is it available in W2K+3? (I'm on W2K)

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- UTC+01 --

$ echo >iisreset.bat -e \
  "@echo off\necho This is me, using the Administrators rights\!"
$ u2d iisreset.bat
iisreset.bat: done.
$ runas /profile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd /c iisreset.bat

<SIGH> *I* can't make it work for a simple test like above :-7 (from the
BASH prompt! I have a similar thing running via BAT scripts).
runas seems to "think" it doesn't get correct arguments.

*IS* it possible? I deem it should be.

F:\>runas /?
RUNAS USAGE:

RUNAS [/profile] [/env] [/netonly] /user:<UserName> program

   /profile        if the user's profile needs to be loaded
   /env            to use current environment instead of user's.
   /netonly        use if the credentials specified are for remote access
only.
   /user           <UserName> should be in form USER@DOMAIN or DOMAIN\USER
   program         command line for EXE.  See below for examples

Examples:
> runas /profile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd
> runas /profile /env /user:mydomain\admin "mmc %windir%\system32\dsa.msc"
> runas /env /user:user@domain.microsoft.com "notepad \"my file.txt\""

NOTE:  Enter user's password only when prompted.
NOTE:  USER@DOMAIN is not compatible with /netonly.

--END OF MESSAGE--

* Re: SSHD, Cygwin and Windows 2003 : continued with user rights
@ 2003-09-18 14:26           ` Olivier ALLART
From: Olivier ALLART @ 2003-09-18 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail), cygwin

Thanks for the tip.
I decided to get rid of this stupid iisreset and use instead a command like
net start/stop msftpsc/w3svc

works fine whith whatever administrator

Olivier

@ 2003-09-18 14:39 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2003-09-18 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All...

Quite a while ago (12 to 18 months?) before Cygwin OpenSSH could impersonate
a user, there was some experimental activity in OpenSSH to allow multiple
authentication methods. There was a patch to add this on the OpenSSH
archives.

I experimented with this to require public key followed by password
authentication. This got me the security of a public key authentication and
also got me a password to change user ID. When Cygwin added the impersonate
user ability, I dropped this activity.

...Karl