* rsync protocol error
@ 2003-09-27 13:10 Mark Thornton
From: Mark Thornton @ 2003-09-27 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am attempting to use rsync 2.5.6 to transfer files between two XP
machines.  On one machine rsync is run as a daemon (either via cygrunsrv
or just from a bash shell). A copy of a small number of files from the
daemon machine to my local machine has succeeded, however all attempts
to transfer anything in the other direction result in a protocol error:

$ rsync --verbose * thornton::test/test
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (28 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/tmp/rsync-2.5.6/i
o.c(165)

Any suggestions welcome.

Mark Thornton

* RE: rsync protocol error
@ 2003-09-27 20:49 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-27 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ML CygWIN

> From: Mark Thornton

> I am attempting to use rsync 2.5.6 to transfer files between two XP
> machines.  On one machine rsync is run as a daemon (either via cygrunsrv
> or just from a bash shell). A copy of a small number of files from the
> daemon machine to my local machine has succeeded, however all attempts
> to transfer anything in the other direction result in a protocol error:
>
> $ rsync --verbose * thornton::test/test
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (28 bytes read so far)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> /tmp/rsync-2.5.6/i
> o.c(165)
>
> Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Mark Thornton

 Use e.g. Ethereal (with the pcap library) and catch the TCP transfers for
both the successful direction of the copy, and then for the unsuccessful.
Use SMALL file(s). Start two copies of ethereal and compare.
(http://www.ethereal.com - free software)

This requires a BASIC understanding of the TCP packet structure from you. I
would say that you can get very far _without_ TCP expertise.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59°16.37'N, 17°12.60'E
-- UTC+01, DST -> UTC+02  --
--END OF MESSAGE--

* Re: rsync protocol error
@ 2003-09-28  1:34 ` Mark Thornton
From: Mark Thornton @ 2003-09-28  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mark Thornton wrote:

> I am attempting to use rsync 2.5.6 to transfer files between two XP
> machines.  On one machine rsync is run as a daemon (either via
> cygrunsrv or just from a bash shell). A copy of a small number of
> files from the daemon machine to my local machine has succeeded,
> however all attempts to transfer anything in the other direction
> result in a protocol error:

Further information: using rsync via ssh mostly works apart from a hang
at the end. I notice that this is a known problem where the host is a
dual processor (a hyperthreaded P4 in my case). My cygwin version is
1.5.5, so I presume that this problem has not been fixed.

Mark Thornton