From: Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: binutils-2.34-1 (x86/x86_64)
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 11:00:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Am 01.03.2020 um 03:18 schrieb JonY:
> On 2/29/20 7:23 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Am 26.02.2020 um 11:35 schrieb JonY:
>>> The following packages have been uploaded to the Cygwin distribution:
>>>
>>> * binutils-2.34
>>>
>>> This version was tested by building gcc-9.2.0.
>>>

>> It seems there is a regression about -lpthread
>>
>> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lpthread.
>> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
>> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
>> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
>> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
>> *** with libpthread and none of the candidates passed a file format test
>> *** using a file magic. Last file checked: /lib/libpthread.a
>>
>> --
>>

> Last file checked: /lib/libpthread.a
>
> Is that correct? Do you have the complete command line? Is this
> happening on both archs or just i686?

both archs.
The error is likely coming from libtool and it is valid for all the 3
libraries "-lpthread -lrt -ldl" , so I assume the current binutils is
providing some feedback different than in the past to libtool

I tested again the build of gdal-3.0.2-2 that before the
update of gcc and binutils was working fine.

I shorted the command line as the amount of object is very very large:

/bin/sh
/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/gdal/prova302/gdal-3.0.2-2.x86_64/build/libtool
--mode=link --silent g++   -lcrypto -ljson-c -lqhull -L/usr/lib -lgeos_c
-lwebp  -lsqlite3 -lodbc32 -lodbccp32 -lexpat -lopenjp2  -L/usr/lib
-lnetcdf -lhdf5 -lgif -ljpeg -lgeotiff -ltiff -lpng -lcfitsio -lpq
-lproj -lz -lpthread -lrt -ldl  -lws2_32 -lpsapi -lpcre -lcurl -liconv
-L/usr/lib -lxml2 -lz -llzma -liconv -lm -o libgdal.la
./ogr/gml2ogrgeometry.lo ./ogr/ogr2gmlgeometr
y.lo ./ogr/ogr_api.lo ......

/cygdrive/d/cyg_pub/devel/gdal/prova302/gdal-3.0.2-2.x86_64/build/third_party/o/RLE.lo
\
     -rpath /usr/lib \
     -no-undefined \
     -version-info 26:2:0

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lpthread.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libpthread and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /lib/libpthread.a

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lrt.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with librt and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /lib/librt.a

*** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -ldl.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
*** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
*** with libdl and none of the candidates passed a file format test
*** using a file magic. Last file checked: /lib/libdl.a
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

*** Since this library must not contain undefined symbols,
*** because either the platform does not support them or
*** it was explicitly requested with -no-undefined,
*** libtool will only create a static version of it.

When I remove the "-lpthread -lrt -ldl" from the libtool invocation
everything is fine

Regards
Marco